Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, last few short rides lots of the times the red key light comes on and the fr---n horn honks just as im pulling off what the heck!! Power down start back up and most of the times it stops. Also the PSI sensors acting up ..off on off on... New battery in fob for matter of fact tried another battery thinking first new one was bad. Thinking of mabye taking off wire to battery or removing fuse and reinstalling. would that reset anything??... Thoughts Plz which fuse should I pull??

·
Founding member
2,170 Posts
A few things other than the battery can cause the bike/fob communication to glitch (although fob battery is the most common). Listed in most common order ...
  • If you have the fob near any metallic objects (keys, phone, pocketknife) it can attenuate the signal. Move your fob (or the other things) to another pocket.
  • The bike's receiver antenna is located under the seat (approx 4" bar) and can be dislodged to where the reception is reduced. Also, the wires to the antenna can be pinched/damaged causing intermittent reception.
  • Another RF signal close by can interfere with the signal. Try moving the bike a few feet before you start it and see if it always starts.

Start at the top of the list and see if you anything works. Good luck.

·
Bronze member
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few things other than the battery can cause the bike/fob communication to glitch (although fob battery is the most common). Listed in most common order ...
  • If you have the fob near any metallic objects (keys, phone, pocketknife) it can attenuate the signal. Move your fob (or the other things) to another pocket.
  • The bike's receiver antenna is located under the seat (approx 4" bar) and can be dislodged to where the reception is reduced. Also, the wires to the antenna can be pinched/damaged causing intermittent reception.
  • Another RF signal close by can interfere with the signal. Try moving the bike a few feet before you start it and see if it always starts.
Start at the top of the list and see if you anything works. Good luck.
Thanx, ill do that..

·
Bronze member
5,078 Posts
Keep an eye on the TPMS, even when you've got the fob sorted. The battery can run down and the whole sensor needs replacing. But they can also fail intermittently, which one of mine did last year. When mine failed it would not connect to the bike for a half hour and the warning light would come on, then it would connect again but the light would stay on until I stopped/started again.

When it failed the display would change from a PSI number to a few dashes, and when it came on the number would display again so I'd have two good PSI readings and the warning light all at once. I started to take photos of the display and when I took them to the service manager he replaced the sensor without worry.

·
Bronze member
1,194 Posts
Keep an eye on the TPMS, even when you've got the fob sorted. The battery can run down and the whole sensor needs replacing. But they can also fail intermittently, which one of mine etc .
sounds like chief vintage thing, check your kick stand lever is up properly …. or dry it a little if you have just washed it.

·
Bronze member
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its really acting funny now, checked battery cables, fob battery, battery is good and its still messin with me. Ok I powerup start let warm up in neutral soon as i put in gear the red fob lite starts flashing and horn starts blowing every time.. sooo put fob away started up with pin runs fine...except psi sensors are still off and on mostly off,,,WTF.. well having recall done tuesday will get it checked out then.. and sensors are fairly new too

·
Rider
503 Posts
It sounds like it's not "seeing" the fob. That's how it's supposed to act if you take off and the fob is not present. Stops a thief. The tpms could just be low batteries in the sensors. Good luck!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine was acting up moved the fob from my left pocket to the the right pocket problem solved. Fob in chrome cup holder same problem, no go. Really annoying when the horn starts blowing for no apparent reason. These bikes are new school technology as a result common sense won't get you too far. You can fight the bike but it is easier to read the manual...ask me how I know this. lol

·
Bronze member
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine was acting up moved the fob from my left pocket to the the right pocket problem solved. Fob in chrome cup holder same problem, no go. Really annoying when the horn starts blowing for no apparent reason. These bikes are new school technology as a result common sense won't get you too far. You can fight the bike but it is easier to read the manual...ask me how I know this. lol
well ive always wore my fob in a lil leather pouch around my neck when riding for safe keeping, so it wouldnt end up in washing machine. its pretty safe there.....

·
Rider
418 Posts
I have this problem from time to time and have found it to be starting the bike before the fob is recognized. To keep it from happening I hit the power button on the bike, let the fuel pump finish, and then count to 5 before hitting the starter. When I do that I never have it happen.

·
Bronze member
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have this problem from time to time and have found it to be starting the bike before the fob is recognized. To keep it from happening I hit the power button on the bike, let the fuel pump finish, and then count to 5 before hitting the starter. When I do that I never have it happen.
ill try this thanx

·
Bronze member
5,078 Posts
It might be that the bike is not talking properly to the fob somehow. It seems to know it's there but won't complete the conversation. I imagine the dealer could check it out and re-register it with the bike as they do with a new replacement fob.

Another thought is to check that the contacts for the battery have not parted company from the circuit board and are only touching intermittently. My newly bought 2nd hand Subaru did this. I spoke with the service guy and he already had a little screwdriver on the counter. He took the fob apart and showed me the loose connection. Apparently the problem was so common that he knew immediately and they were soldering a fob every week or so.

·
Registered
226 Posts
tried 2 differnt new battires
I had a locksmith tell me that even tho all the batteries come from china the name brand ones get a better level of quality control.

His opinion was that teh dollar store batteries just aren't reliable to use for fobs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts