Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were about to do an end-of-season oil change when we discovered an oil leak on the bottom "shifter side" of the engine. It seems to be coming from one of the case bolts, so I checked to ensure they weren't loose (they weren't) so I'm really confused why the bike is leaking at that spot? There isn't any reason for it to leak there,, is it possible the case has a crack?
If I had to guess this is a factory bug that is just now showing up.. We bought the bike new, nothing has been serviced in that area, bike has never been dropped or no other impact to that area.. what gives?

Attachments

·
Rider
388 Posts
My bike has the exact same leak and has been at the dealer now for 2 weeks as well as a battery that wont hold a charge .At first I thought it was a loose drain plug till I realized that the oil was coming from higher up .They called to tell me that the claim was put in and that was that .

Attachments

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
upload_2016-12-9_8-54-22.jpeg
Use this until cold weather sets in and then leave the bike at the dealer for 2 or 3 months as thats what it'll take for Polaris to analyze photos and info from the dealer to decide.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I had an intermittent oil leak from the same area that developed just after a 30,000 mile service. Found a loose stater cover bolt where (Red) discovered his leak. Tightened it up and have been good since.

·
Rider
388 Posts
I had an intermittent oil leak from the same area that developed just after a 30,000 mile service. Found a loose stater cover bolt where (Red) discovered his leak. Tightened it up and have been good since.
I snugged up the cover bolts about a month ago but the leak persisted .Also found one of the button head screws on the chrome cover missing ,at the factory they had used M5 screws "which were wrong" I replaced it with a pair of M6x1 screws .And yes they screwed in with no issues ,which tells me its a factory f&%k up

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
We were about to do an end-of-season oil change when we discovered an oil leak on the bottom "shifter side" of the engine. It seems to be coming from one of the case bolts, so I checked to ensure they weren't loose (they weren't) so I'm really confused why the bike is leaking at that spot? There isn't any reason for it to leak there,, is it possible the case has a crack?
If I had to guess this is a factory bug that is just now showing up.. We bought the bike new, nothing has been serviced in that area, bike has never been dropped or no other impact to that area.. what gives?
Your pic's wet spot shows it is starting from above that bolt and running down to it - follow it upstream.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for your comments. Sent photos to the dealer and initial thoughts are a faulty gasket or seal. Will keep everyone posted .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you everyone for your comments. Sent photos to the dealer and initial thoughts are a faulty gasket or seal. Will keep everyone posted .
My scout has the same oil leak .. tightened all cover bolts but still get leak .. i'm looking for the right fix , so everyone please share your fix .. ; )

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My scout has the same oil leak .. tightened all cover bolts but still get leak .. i'm looking for the right fix , so everyone please share your fix .. ; )
Just got mine fixed by the dealer. Bike isn't even home yet. Apparently the stator was going and also a new gasket was needed, so luckily for me it was under the 5 year warranty. Antifreeze had to be replaced, which is odd because it looked like an oil leak. New screws and o-ring also required. Good luck with the investigation.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
classic case of stator cover leak. you need a new gasket and more silicone around the stator plug. I must of seen 3 or 4 of these cases.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Mine Had this as well.
Was dealt with when I had my flywheel issue.
They said the bolts were loose, but had to remove cover to do service, so, they had to replace gasket anyways..
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got mine fixed by the dealer. Bike isn't even home yet. Apparently the stator was going and also a new gasket was needed, so luckily for me it was under the 5 year warranty. Antifreeze had to be replaced, which is odd because it looked like an oil leak. New screws and o-ring also required. Good luck with the investigation.
classic case of stator cover leak. you need a new gasket and more silicone around the stator plug. I must of seen 3 or 4 of these cases.
Mine Had this as well.
Was dealt with when I had my flywheel issue.
They said the bolts were loose, but had to remove cover to do service, so, they had to replace gasket anyways..
Keep us posted!
Thank you very much , bros !! ,,, i will try the silicone around the stator plug fist .. update later !

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,112 Posts
View attachment 142465 Use this until cold weather sets in and then leave the bike at the dealer for 2 or 3 months as thats what it'll take for Polaris to analyze photos and info from the dealer to decide.
99.99% sure your're joking..let's just hope that no one take you serious :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Actually, I saw something similar... I'm watching it closely...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2016 indian scout 30,000 on it. Went out to the garage and there is a leak. Check it out. Turn garage light off and get a flashlight you can see were its coming from easier. Its coming threw the stator wires. Called dealer. Mechanic told me to take a picture of it. He was going to order a stator for it. He also said the stator was fine and he had seen this on the big bikes but not the scout.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts