Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Indian Challenger Limited (Ruby Metallic)
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen this issue? When to start the bike and the display screen kept restarting and now the screen is off and tail lights and headlight strayed on. The power switch doesn’t seem to be working now. The charger says the battery is weak. I unplugged the bike last night and let the battery totally die. This morning before I left for work I plugged the charger back in.

My wife checked on it when she went home for lunch and this what is doing currently the switches are all unresponsive and the display is off

·
Registered
106 Posts
Letting one of these type batteries go completely dead is pretty much a death sentence for them. So regardless of what happened before that I'd start with a fresh battery and keep on the Indian recommended charger anytime the bike sits for more than a day.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,416 Posts
Also, check the battery connections.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Your symptoms are similar to what happened to me. My new (2020, had been on the showroom floor for quite a while) Challenger after only a couple of days wouldn't start or power up anything. All dead. Then, some things would work (turn signals, brake lights, etc.) but some wouldn't (power windshield and other things). Then, it would start and it seemed normal. I canceled the bike pickup the dealer had scheduled for the next morning and was able to ride it over and leave it with them. Couple days later they phoned, said they had been on the phone a lot with Polaris, fixed one connection they found that wasn't very tight, and, for some reason, they replaced my headlight assembly and they thought whatever happened was fixed. OK, I get the bike. Couple of days later same thing, no start, no power, no nuthin. Call the dealer, they have a truck coming back that can pick up my bike in maybe 2 hrs. or so. OK, thank you, hang up. A short time later the bike powers itself up, all accessories work, but it won't start. And I can't turn the power off. When the truck arrived to get my bike it was still powered up. Dealer called couple of days later. They said my battery showed a dead cell this time but last time it did not show a dead cell. More calls to Polaris. Service guy on phone told me they were not 100% sure what had happened...., but...., then he talked a lot about how newer bikes with all the electronics are VERY sensitive to voltage changes, so forth and so on, etc., etc. His bottom line was that they thought the battery was not up to par and a weak battery was the cause of all the problems AND since this bike had sat in the showroom for not sure how many months they put a new battery in the bike and thought I was good to go. Almost sounds like a Rod Serling episode of Twilight Zone.

So I picked up the bike with the new battery in it. So far, everything is fine.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any chance you pinched a wire installing your bars?
I'm not sure on that. I had the dealer install them at my 500 mile service and everything has been fine for the last 4,000 miles till now.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your symptoms are similar to what happened to me. My new (2020, had been on the showroom floor for quite a while) Challenger after only a couple of days wouldn't start or power up anything. All dead. Then, some things would work (turn signals, brake lights, etc.) but some wouldn't (power windshield and other things). Then, it would start and it seemed normal. I canceled the bike pickup the dealer had scheduled for the next morning and was able to ride it over and leave it with them. Couple days later they phoned, said they had been on the phone a lot with Polaris, fixed one connection they found that wasn't very tight, and, for some reason, they replaced my headlight assembly and they thought whatever happened was fixed. OK, I get the bike. Couple of days later same thing, no start, no power, no nuthin. Call the dealer, they have a truck coming back that can pick up my bike in maybe 2 hrs. or so. OK, thank you, hang up. A short time later the bike powers itself up, all accessories work, but it won't start. And I can't turn the power off. When the truck arrived to get my bike it was still powered up. Dealer called couple of days later. They said my battery showed a dead cell this time but last time it did not show a dead cell. More calls to Polaris. Service guy on phone told me they were not 100% sure what had happened...., but...., then he talked a lot about how newer bikes with all the electronics are VERY sensitive to voltage changes, so forth and so on, etc., etc. His bottom line was that they thought the battery was not up to par and a weak battery was the cause of all the problems AND since this bike had sat in the showroom for not sure how many months they put a new battery in the bike and thought I was good to go. Almost sounds like a Rod Serling episode of Twilight Zone.

So I picked up the bike with the new battery in it. So far, everything is fine.
I almost 5000 miles on the bike and haven't any issues until recently, it just weird that it just started all of the sudden.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There’s a torque spec for the battery connections. I don’t recall what they are but the battery replacement video indian put out on YouTube has the specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was my battery, took the battery down to dealer for them to test and then swap it out. 6.8volts is what my battery registered at

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,416 Posts
Thanks for the follow up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts