Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Rider
667 Posts
I have hearing aids aka $7k ear buds, but don’t wear them while riding. Over the years road, engine and IMO predominantly wind noise were factors in my hearing loss. I’ve never had an issue wearing ear plugs and ride 15-20k per season.

·
Rider
708 Posts
I have hearing aids aka $7k ear buds, but don’t wear them while riding. Over the years road, engine and IMO predominantly wind noise were factors in my hearing loss. I’ve never had an issue wearing ear plugs and ride 15-20k per season.
That's the reason that I wear ear plugs every time I'm going more that 10-15 minutes. Wind noise, especially, is a problem because it just goes on and on and on are you're riding. Also, my research found that while wearing a full face helmet did lower the dB some, they were still above what was considered dangerous for long term exposure.

BD

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I have over-the-ear hearing aids. I like to wear them when riding to better hear the music on my RM and, more importantly, sounds I need to be aware of like emergency vehicles as the other poster mentioned. A full face or even modular helmet tends to peel them off when I remove it and therefore I rarely wear a full face. My exhaust is stock and I am not worried about more hearing loss from my pipes. Mine is from unprotected gunfire in my youth.

·
Rider
667 Posts
That's the reason that I wear ear plugs every time I'm going more that 10-15 minutes. Wind noise, especially, is a problem because it just goes on and on and on are you're riding. Also, my research found that while wearing a full face helmet did lower the dB some, they were still above what was considered dangerous for long term exposure.
Agreed wind noise isn’t so noticeable on a short hop. But it began to really affect me on long days. Tinnitus would be pretty severe, unable to sleep well. Ear plugs pretty much eliminated the ringing.

BD

·
Registered
479 Posts
I take mine hearing aids out when I ride and wear foam earplugs under a modular helmet. The earplugs remove the road/wind noise for me so I can better hear my surroundings, music and exhaust note.

·
Super Moderator
10,891 Posts
From my ear doc: Why would you wear something that increases the sound while you’re riding? That sound is itself dangerous. You want to decrease noise, not increase it. Hence earplugs (not hearing aids) while I’m riding. And I do wear earbuds for tinnitus and they have a built-in hearing aid function. They go away when I’m riding and are replaced with plugs.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts