Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Rider
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well who out there wears hearing aids when they ride? What helmet do you use? I wear over the ear ones with the ear inserts.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a pair of Phonak V30's and use a LS half haelmet of a Shoei Neotec. They work fine with both. A lot of rider just remove theirs when riding.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I wear Resound Forte aids purchased at Costco. They are the over the ear style. I have found that it is next to impossible to wear them with a full face helmet because the helmet peels them off my ears as I pull it over my head. I prefer to keep the aids on so use modular and open face helmets because I can pull the sides out enough as I pull it over my head to not peel the aids off. Look for helmets that have the deepest ear pockets you can find.

·
Senior member / gold
6,413 Posts
I am getting near that point (actually beyond that point) where I need hearing aid assistance. Bluetooth technology has come to hearing aids.
This is what I have found for Apple IOS phones. I'm sure there are aids targeted for Android phones, and that has set my mind to thinking about all the possibilities:
Bluetooth hearing aids: Everything you need to know

·
Rider
957 Posts
I don't wear hearing aids, but after this riding season (when it starts) with the TAB Zombies I will definitely need them.

·
Senior member / gold
6,413 Posts
I love to hear the throb of the 111, but I have been behind bikes running straight pipes, and that metallic exhaust sound nearly drove me crazy, even though I am very hard of hearing.

·
Rider
681 Posts
Never tried wearing them figured to easy to lose or damage them. I wear earplugs.
Also I don’t wear them for hearing lost, I have tinnitus so they are actually sound maskers.

·
Founding member
885 Posts
I've been wearing ear plugs while riding since a fellow rider showed me 'the light' back in 2000! My hearing was already going bad, especially for high frequency sounds, and I wanted to slow down the loss. I didn't get hearing aids until 2-1/2 years ago and I love them. I should have gotten them 15 years earlier. I don't wear them while riding though. I still wear ear plugs to conserve hearing. I got my hearing aids at Costco, they have great hearing centers and good pricing. I recommend hearing aids to anyone with hearing lose. The longer you wait the more sounds your brain forgets and can't recover. Learning that is what got me to get them.

·
Gold member
6,421 Posts
Sounds dangerous/tentinitous could get worse no? I have a one ear problem; when I was 14 yrs old I was climbing a very steep hill during a thunderstorm and lots of lightning, I fell backwards into a bush and the branch went into my right ear so far, my mates ran away,said I was animal like. I lost my equal Librium. Got about 20% left in that ear.what I like about it is at sleep time I lay on my good ear and everything is gone. No noise what so ever!

·
Bronze member
4,313 Posts
I have a mate with a 6 cylinder BMW 1600 tourer, it must be the quietest bike I've never heard, and he wears aids. I've not noticed if he wears them while riding but I'll check it with him.

I normally wear custom molded earplugs if I'm riding out of town for any distance. I've got hearing loss and tinitis from working in heavy industry in my young adult years and I don't want helmet wind noise to make it any worse.

·
Founding member
433 Posts
I wear hearing aids and always take them out while riding. I wear a Shoei modular helmet, and it has plenty of room to accommodate the hearing aids, but I pulled one out of my ear once while taking my helmet off. I didn't feel it come out. I happened to look down, saw it, and thought it was someone else's hearing aid; until I felt for my own, and discovered it was mine. I've taken them out while riding ever since. I keep a small case in my windshield bag to put them in while riding.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Add one more to the ear plug user list.

Reactions: clif02

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Yep, I take my hearing aids out and put ear plugs in to save what little hearing I have left.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have Oticon Alita2 Pro Ti (the Ti is for tinnitus) I ware mine 80 % of the time, only take them off on longs ride. Half shell for me but I just bought Sena30s this fall and found out that I can not ware it when it is on, speakers only go to the ears and not behind the ear. But I only ware a helmet 20 % of the time. Without the helmet, they are in my ears the moment I wake up until I go to bed. The sweet things about these is I have a little device that hooks up to the tv so I blue tooth it to my aids, have another device I ware around my neck to Bluetooth my phone or music. People look at me strange when I’m having a conversation with myself. And one more device that I can give to someone else (very handy when I’m at a conference, the speaker clips it on his collar, and I can hear him perfectly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't have hearing aids. I've been told that I should check into it.
But . . . I was wearing a 3/4 helmet in October of 2018, coming home from work at 11:45 pm. I heard a noise that sounded like a jet airliner. Totally normal for my city and area of town.
So I kept going. A traffic light was ahead, but it was green so I kept going. Speed limit was 30 mph, and I was riding just a bit over, maybe 33.
When I got to within just a few yards of the stoplight . . . an ambulance pulled out in front of me. No headlights, siren or emergency lights. After it was in the middle of the intersection, (remember now, the light was in my favor) they flipped all the lights on and started the siren.
In my maneuvering to avoid t-boning the ambulance, my back tire hit something. I'm guessing a pothole. I was flipped off the bike and came down on my head and left shoulder.
In my opinion, if I could have heard better what was coming, I would have slowed down and stopped.
Bottom line, my helmet caused the accident because of my inability to tell the acceleration of a diesel ambulance, from a jet airliner. But it also saved my life, because I landed on my head in the street.
For that reason I will never use earplugs when I ride, and I'm looking for a helmet with hearing assist built in. ( I haven't found one)
If you know of one please let me know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts