Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Did they improve the SDH, or have they hurt it?

• 2018 is the original and best

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • 2019 is better, new and improved

Votes: 6 35.3%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2018 was the very FIRST year for the S.D.H. model. Its second year is 2019 and I'm amazed at all the changes I'm seeing at first glance!

Different handlebars. Wow. I love the swoopy O.G. handlebars on my 2018 S.D.H. It looks like they come with the Chief's handlebars now? Last year's handlebars kind of tilted down where your hands rest (like beach bars?), the new ones are more horizontal at the grips.

Warbonnet Headdress Light, valued at $104.99. At first I was jealous the new ones come with the warbonnet, but I'll be alright.

Deleted HWY BARS. Wow, front and rear, both sets, all gone. But the MSRP is $500 more this year for the "Smoke Black" color, and $1000 more for the new Smoke White color. Hmmmm. I really love my highway/crash bars, and it was a pretty huge selling point for me. On the Indian website, the Front Mustache Bars cost $359.99, and the Rear Bars cost $309.99, totaling $669.98 value they deducted (just for these bars) while increasing its MSRP.

Deleted the 12V wiring up in the front nacelle? That's a bummer, and I really appreciated finding that little easter egg when I plugged in my GPS. It could be quite involved to have to run wiring up under the tank if the new ones don't come with it. Do they still come with the 12V jack in the saddlebag at least?

Deleted Windshield. Eh, they're like $500 aren't they? (EDIT - nope, they increased to $619.99 for the windshield) If mine didn't come with one, I probably wouldn't have one now, but it's nice to have and replacing just the screen with Freedom Shields was cost-effective for me.

Gloss Black accents. Eh, I could go either way, I like all shades of Black.

White Smoke Color. That's cool, but it's another $500 on top of this years $500 increase.

BLACK EXHAUST! Urgh! Thank goodness it comes black now (to match the entire bike's soul). I had to get the OEM chrome exhaust and heat shields ceramic coated black, and it was less than $300 but a bit of a hassle to labor through all that to get it to where it needed to be. Most folks opt for the Stage-1's and pay a lot to get black exhaust, but I'm thrifty so I'm still running stock, just blackened. Comes factory black now, good stuff.

CONTRAST CUT front 19" wheel. Mine is ALL BLACK, which I prefer. Not a huge deal, but the less silver color on my bike the better, but they did include...

BLACK HINGES for the saddlebags!!! Yeah, that's tight. Mine are still chrome and boy do they stand out!

Then of course, the rear cylinder turning itself off when standing still in the heat. I am not sure how that's going to be. I would hate if it stuttered on take off, like if there was a delay when I gun the throttle. I bet it sounds bad if you rev your bike at a light (not that you would, especially if it's hot). I've been known to just turn off the bike at long lights, which works for me, so I'm actually glad I got the "hotter" bike that doesn't do this. Who knows if they'll be bugs to work out for the initial run as well. I'd rather not have this "feature" at this time.

And the new DRIVE MODES. I don't know much about it, but I'm just fine sticking with my old-school "Throttle Control". Yes, I have lost traction trying to take off too fast from a stop, but I'd rather have Traction Control over driving modes. In my experience with driving modes, I always just get comfortable with one option, then stick with it. Changing modes usually messes with my throttle hand's memory and I tend to ride less smoothly if I keep changing modes... I think it's more of a mental placebo effect, but I guess they needed to use that right trigger-button for something. Mine is still just a non-operational dummy switch, because I'm lazy I guess.

I'm the most shocked they deleted all the crash bars. Having them both front and rear is what differentiated my "touring" bike from the "cruisers" and I love them. They're the best place to kick my feet up on the highway to stretch out, and to strap my bike down in the trailer, never needing to touch any of the "good parts" of the bike.

I'm the most butthurt that the new ones come with black exhaust, black hinges, and warbonnet.

Okay, what did I miss? It looks like the Smoke White version has extra vertical saddlebag trim or something.

I kind of feel like the 1st year of the S.D.H. is special, before they messed with a good thing. Most of it is just bolt-on stuff, except for the drive-modes and deactivating rear cylinder, which is kind of huge. Look at how much swoopier the O.G. handlebars are, and how they just go with the crash bars for a full swoop effect. They don't makes these things like they used to. Just the HWY/CRASH BARS and the windshield equal $1300.00 of cost-cutting, but they did add a $100 headdress warbonnet to make you feel better about the price increase?

Attachments

·
Rider
620 Posts
Why? Springfield is a Springfield. Got enough sections here as it is without making it even more of a mess trying to find information on stuff. Just about anything on a Darkhorse Springfield is relevant to a OG Springfield. Keep it all in one section.

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
Have a 17 Springfield, & have always wanted the DH, was about to buy a used 18, but decided to wait to see what the 19's would offer.

Test rode the New Chieftain, the drive modes are pretty damn nice & less heat @ stops was a feature I really liked.
I'm with you that it's BS they took away the highway bars, love to rest my feet on them for those long highway rides, & have always loved the original handlebars, this one is a game changer. If I trade, I'll be asking to swap bars. The pipes blacked out is what they should have done to begin with, I'm done with the chrome, gets way to scratched up & is a ***** to clean.

I was set on getting a 19 SF, but after all the accessories they took away, I think I'm going with the new Chieftain. It handles better than my SF, & feels much lighter. Still plan on testing out a couple more rides but Indian seems to take away more & more each year. The loss of a passenger seat & floorboards was a big disappointment on the 18's.

Reactions: Eighteen

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why? Springfield is a Springfield. Got enough sections here as it is without making it even more of a mess trying to find information on stuff. Just about anything on a Darkhorse Springfield is relevant to a OG Springfield. Keep it all in one section.
It's really quite different, in a lot of ways - it's not just color with the DarkHorse's 19" front wheel and open fender, and no passenger accoutrements, etc. Especially since this year the "regular" Springfield still comes with crash bars and windshield. Why does the Chief Dark Horse have a different forum from the regular Chiefs?

2018-10-10 04.11.31 pm.jpg

The S.D.H. really is an entirely differnt model, both on their website, and on my Department of Motor Vehicle Title and insurance forms, etc. Everywhere includes "Dark Horse" (not just Springfield) except this forum.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hence the "Got enough sections here as it is without making it even more of a mess" in my message.
Yup, you already said that, and I still disagree with you. Again, why does the Chief Dark Horse have its own forum, just to get on your nerves? Look at the bigger picture, what's best for the community, instead of being so self-centered.

If the original post was in its own "Dark Horse" forum, could we have avoided your trolling here?

I can't believe it's 2019, and these things still don't come with LED headlights.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
someone piss in your cherrios? You ask for opinions, someone gives you one and you start name calling? I never said the other sections needed to be there, hence, why I even quoted myself, EVEN, MORE, OF, A, MESS.

Someone needs information, they have to dig through multiple sections to find anything. That's my opinion, go take your midol.
Before you edited your post. Name calling? What? Where? You're lying.

You also never answered my question about the Chief Dark Horse section. Oh well, thanks for derailing this thread.

You know what, nevermind, I'm not arguing with a woman, nothing comes of it.
Bye Felicia.

·
Silver member
5,038 Posts
& have always loved the original handlebars, this one is a game changer.
First, I don't care about having a SFDH only section. Who really cares, but I read all the posts in most section as I am a Indian forum addict but,

back to the topic at hand. I agree. The original Springfield bars are fantastic for long rides and if you watch the early Indian promos for the Springfield the bar positions was a big deal and a selling point. And if they monitor this forum as we all know they do I guess they missed all the threads where Vintage guys were switching to Springfield style buckhorn bars over the Vintage bars.

Here's the Video. Watch at 1:09 for the handlebar comments. Funny, the old videos don't have the rockin' background music, LOL.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Eighteen can you post a side shot of your SDH? I’m interested in what the blacked out pipes looks like with the rest of stock chromed pieces on the engine. Been thinking I should do something about excessive chrome on my SDH as well.

-Mike

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eighteen can you post a side shot of your SDH? I’m interested in what the blacked out pipes looks like with the rest of stock chromed pieces on the engine. Been thinking I should do something about excessive chrome on my SDH as well.

-Mike
The new ones look more blackish because they have (gloss) black pushrod covers, and the badge at the crankshaft is slightly more blacker around the edges (it does look cooler). Then instead of my mad-max-matte black motor, the new ones are "refined" and glossy shimmery shiny sexy.

I hate how now I wish my pushrod covers were black and the badge were slightly more blacker.

My 2018 SDH
20180417_INDIAN_SDH.jpg

2019 Springfield Dark Horse White Smoke
2018-10-10 08.10.44 pm.jpg

My blackened stock exhaust and heat shields
Indian_BLACK_EXHAUST_PIPES.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
The new ones look more blackish because they have (gloss) black pushrod covers, and the badge at the crankshaft is slightly more blacker around the edges (it does look cooler). Then instead of my mad-max-matte black motor, the new ones are "refined" and glossy shimmery shiny sexy.

I hate how now I wish my pushrod covers were black and the badge were slightly more blacker.

My 2018 SDH
View attachment 433664

2019 Springfield Dark Horse White Smoke
View attachment 433668

My blackened stock exhaust and heat shields
View attachment 433666
Sorry to go off topic a bit but I was just curious what windshield you have? Is that a 12" from Freedom? And if it is I'm curious how tall you are and if it helped with the buffeting? I'm a little over 5' 7" and get it just at the top of my head and was wondering if the flared shield makes a difference? I'm trying not to have to put lower deflectors on it even though most people say they stop all the buffeting. I don't like the way they look. That shield looks awesome on your bike by the way!

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
First I don't care if there is another forum or not, if an interesting thread pops up I'll read it and post in it. But back to the major part of your post: Polaris has always done this with their models, starting with Victory and extending into Indian/Sling Shot original releases have a lot more stuff than the subsequent releases. The upgrades on the Dark Horses are notable and nice, the down grades on the Dark Horses are notable and suck. It comes down to at this point in time a new purchaser has to make a decision... 2018 or 2019 or used. Whatever trips their trigger. But following Polaris's pattern if you like what's on the current (2019) regular Springfield I would jump on it this year. A tell tale sign is that the colors haven't changed in THREE years and no ICON colors are available again. (Although I think they did put the oil cooler back on it as standard again this year).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sorry to go off topic a bit but I was just curious what windshield you have? Is that a 12" from Freedom? And if it is I'm curious how tall you are and if it helped with the buffeting? I'm a little over 5' 7" and get it just at the top of my head and was wondering if the flared shield makes a difference? I'm trying not to have to put lower deflectors on it even though most people say they stop all the buffeting. I don't like the way they look. That shield looks awesome on your bike by the way!
You guessed it. 12 inch Freedom, dark smoke. I'm 6' tall and it might have made a slight difference, but not enough for me to save money by not buying the deflectors. That's an older picture, I bought the raw metal JES Custom delflectors right away because the recurved twelver didn't really do anything to help my buffeting. I'm cheap so I just spray painted (with primer) them gloss black. My aftermarket fork-deflectors look better than clear lexan on my Dark Horse, in my opinion.

I've settled on what I use now (all of the above) and never take any of it off, although during the heat of the summer I didn't like it so I ended up adding a new "summer bike" to the stable... instead of just removing the wind protection, because it's a hassle to unbolt the lower deflectors, and it looks stupid to run deflectors without the windshied. Plus, storing the big windshield is difficult, because I don't have much space to work with.

First I don't care if there is another forum or not, if an interesting thread pops up I'll read it and post in it. But back to the major part of your post: Polaris has always done this with their models, starting with Victory and extending into Indian/Sling Shot original releases have a lot more stuff than the subsequent releases. The upgrades on the Dark Horses are notable and nice, the down grades on the Dark Horses are notable and suck. It comes down to at this point in time a new purchaser has to make a decision... 2018 or 2019 or used. Whatever trips their trigger. But following Polaris's pattern if you like what's on the current (2019) regular Springfield I would jump on it this year. A tell tale sign is that the colors haven't changed in THREE years and no ICON colors are available again. (Although I think they did put the oil cooler back on it as standard again this year).
Glad they put the oil cooler back on the bike, which kind of means that the ones that came without them should really have them. I think they only deleted the oil coolers for one year, 2018. I was paranoid and slapped that $300 upcharge on during my first 500 mile oil change.

I expected a price increase, and for it to continue, just because comparable Harleys are thousands more expensive. After establishing their reputation, it should even out and hopefully Harleys will come down in price and they'll meet somewhere in the middle.

I just thought it was a "touring" bike, and while the regular Springfield still is, this new DH version doesn't even have wind protection. I guess most folks will just add it into their financing for only $10 more per month. Or try to wait for a coupon code and get it on sale or something.

At least it still has the rear air-shock, for now.

I could be way off here, but if the new prices increase, wouldn't that directly correspond to the value of our well loved ones to go up accordingly? Shouldn't we be happy that our used bikes will retain more of their value? Is this called inflation? I'm completely ignorant about economics, if that's even what I'm trying to talk about here.

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
(Although I think they did put the oil cooler back on it as standard again this year).
Did you see that on a bike on the showroom floor?

What makes you think they put it on at the factory?

It's not listed on the specs page and they did not have it on the 2016 SF.

Thanks,

WD./

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
Did you see that on a bike on the showroom floor?

What makes you think they put it on at the factory?

It's not listed on the specs page and they did not have it on the 2016 SF.

Thanks,

WD./
Woops you're right. It was on the show-room floor and the dealer puts them on all the models and adds the cost to freight and prep. It seems they think it needs a cooler or they can add a little to the price. $1500 is what they charge for freight and prep. a little steep IMO. I suspect the later.

Reactions: LH Rizzi

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is there anyway to get a 2018/2019 SDH only with the original valanced front fender and headress? Call me old fashioned, but I LIKED the original fender. Gave it more of the Indian look. If I could get THAT, along with the 2018 (or was that '17?) rider/passenger seat and highway front and rear, I'd be good to go

1 - 20 of 24 Posts