Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FOB doesn't work anymore after I accidently left it in my pocket and put it through the front loader machine. After a 1200rpm spin cycle the doesn't work anymore grrrrrr. I pulled it apart, dried all the wet components and left the pieces under the ceiling fan. Next day I fitted a new battery and tried again, it still didn't work so I put the Circuit board in a jar of rice, unfortunately this still didn't fix the problem.
Ironically I would have preferred to launder money or wash some very dirty bike parts than wash the FOB. My local dealer has another FOB however fairly expensive so I have been entering my security code so I can ride too work.
Has anyone done this before or something similar? I would like to be advices what to do

·
Registered
230 Posts
My FOB is somewhere in my house. Have not looked for it in a long time. Easier to use the code, for me anyway. YMMV

·
Bronze Member
1,717 Posts
First, remove the battery, then rinse the circuit board with distilled water. Regular water is loaded with minerals. Distilled water is de-ionized, so this will rinse the minerals off of the electronics. Then let it air dry or put it in a bag with some rice. (you can also dry it with a hair dryer on a non-heated setting)

After the circuit board has dried reinstall the battery and test it to see if it works.

If it does not work, the most you will be out of is about a dollar for the distilled water.

·
Founding member
2,213 Posts
I've been lucky ... mine has been through the laundry three times and always came out working (after drying & sometimes needing a new battery).

One way to see if the fob is still transmitting is watching the tiny LED at the top of the fob (looks like a little dot). If you press a button, you should see it transmit/light up momentarily. If you have a no-button fob, look at the LED when you press the power button on the bike - it will ping in search of the fob. Also be sure that you placed the battery in correctly ... the + side (larger flat side) of the battery should be visible (facing up).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, remove the battery, then rinse the circuit board with distilled water. Regular water is loaded with minerals. Distilled water is de-ionized, so this will rinse the minerals off of the electronics. Then let it air dry or put it in a bag with some rice. (you can also dry it with a hair dryer on a non-heated setting)

After the circuit board has dried reinstall the battery and test it to see if it works.

If it does not work, the most you will be out of is about a dollar for the distilled water.
Wow sounds freaky I thought water would be a enemy to a circuit board. Learn something new everyday
I've been lucky ... mine has been through the laundry three times and always came out working (after drying & sometimes needing a new battery).

One way to see if the fob is still transmitting is watching the tiny LED at the top of the fob (looks like a little dot). If you press a button, you should see it transmit/light up momentarily. If you have a no-button fob, look at the LED when you press the power button on the bike - it will ping in search of the fob. Also be sure that you placed the battery in correctly ... the + side (larger flat side) of the battery should be visible (facing up).
Thanks for that advice I will try those tests when I get home

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I've cleaned up a circuit board with electronic contact cleaner from Jaycar. They sell a twin-pack with a can each of cleaner and protector. The brand is Deoxit.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Wow sounds freaky I thought water would be a enemy to a circuit board. Learn something new everyday
Water is the enemy to any POWERED ON electronic device. Powered off, it is just a collection of components. I have an old thumbdrive that has been through the laundry several times, and still works fine.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've cleaned up a circuit board with electronic contact cleaner from Jaycar. They sell a twin-pack with a can each of cleaner and protector. The brand is Deoxit.
Thanks Dr Shifty I will get some contact cleaner tomorrow and some Distilled water.
I have tried a couple of batteries after being in a tub of rice

·
Registered
490 Posts
Look for cracked solder joints; especially around the battery. If you do find one, use a good light tan flux and the proper solder iron. P.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Thanks for that advice I will try those tests when I get home
Any luck with the LED lighting up when pressing either switches?

Check for voltage across pos and neg contacts in the circuit with the battery installed. After that I’d start chasing voltage terminal to terminal until you find where you lose it. At the switches it looks like they both only have a single entry and single exit point so one side should always be energized on both switches. Confirm that when pressed the switch allows voltage through, you could do this by setting your multimeter to ohms or if you have a continuity testing setting.

Check for anything foreign that could be arcing across the contacts too.

Just really hope one of the ICs didn’t get fouled up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts