Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,700 Posts
For the time being we still have a choice between the two cooling systems. The Thundertsroke engine has been refined and enhanced as it has been around longer. It's a good choice for traditionalist V-twin enthusiasts. Then there is the new Powerplus 108 which is no doubt the future of four stroke V-twin motorcycles. I say for those who prefer air cooled to get them and enjoy them while they are still available.

·
Registered
665 Posts
For the time being we still have a choice between the two cooling systems. The Thundertsroke engine has been refined and enhanced as it has been around longer. It's a good choice for traditionalist V-twin enthusiasts. Then there is the new Powerplus 108 which is no doubt the future of four stroke V-twin motorcycles. I say for those who prefer air cooled to get them and enjoy them while they are still available.
Amen

·
Registered
30 Posts
Water cooler and air cooler should enjoy them, because for that you bought them, and before electrics arrive ;)

·
Bronze Member
1,621 Posts
A past ride would get so hot gas would be boiled right out of the carb and stall the bike. The fuel pump would continue to feed the carb flowing gas all over the right side of the engine until you turned off the ignition, cooled it off- a Yamaha Roadstar Midnight Star Silverado (what a mouthful). Never forget about it in Dallas and in Maob. Damn hot days.
My late brother-in-laws Road Star would do the same thing. It escapes me now, but Yamaha even had a name for the fuel boiling out of the carb issue.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The way I fixed it was a carb setup from a Yamaha grizzly atv (Jets and needle) and removed the fuel pump. Gravity feed. Worked perfectly (from the Road Star forum).

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Water cooler and air cooler should enjoy them, because for that you bought them, and before electrics arrive ;)
Amen to that. Here is probably how they want us to transition to electric: has everyone here been to a movie theater where the seats rumble and the sound system is more real than reality? How about some of the rides like Star Wars at Disneyland or Disney world? Picture a virtual V Twin sound combined with a vibrating seat and handlebars. With helmet laws becoming more mandatory and blue tooth technology (i have a Sena and wear a full face helmet with face shield up and transition lenses, using the closed shield only in the rain 95% of the time, I can imagine virtual sound going to the helmet speakers so no one outside your "head" hears the noise you so long to hear. Scarry thought, but very possibly will be tested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To cool means remove heat energy water being over 3000% more efficient at doing that job than air. How is your experience . I've entered the efficient age of heat removal. Water is controllable and more even than any air cooled scooter IV put in tween my legs. Appears that manufacture are offering this option more as baggers get bigger . no itchy crotch coolers. Or bitching at light that my jewels are frying on a 95 degree day. Wonder if day of air cooled scooters are numbered. In defence those air cooled jugs are sexy. And Lord we all love jugs. Just a thought. !!!! Do a burn out leave your mark!!!!!!
You had me at jugs.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I remember when Harley used the excuse of the failure of the V Rod in sales numbers was because of the radiator hiding too much of that beautiful engine. Here is where they are at today. My Challenger has a radiator and my Fat Boy 114 has an oil cooler the size of a radiator:

·
Registered
94 Posts
None? Just guessing....
I was on a top fuel crew in the 90’s. The block was solid aluminum. The aluminum heads were filled with water and vented. The engine doesn’t run that long, so the heads absorb some of the heat. We ran alcohol to start then switched to nitro methane. The velocity of the fuel spraying through the injectors would sub cool the air. So much so it would build ice on the outside of the blower. The massive volume of fuel being evaporated by the engine provided a large portion of the cooling.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Liquid cooled engines pollute less and can produce more horsepower. As important as torque is, it's not everything. I do like riding enthusiastically, and every air cooled bike I've ridden either requires shifting too often or is geared down and is crazy slow. The FTR has torque to spare. It's way faster than the any of the bigger bikes. I've ridden a Challenger, Chieftain, Springfield 116, FTR 1200, Scout, Triumph Street Triple, Honda CBR250R, Triumph America, Harley Fourth Eight, Honda CB400F, Honda VFR800, Triumph Tiger 800, and a Honda Africa Twin. I will personally never buy a bike with an air cooled engine based on that.

As far as heat experienced from the rider? I'm an electrical engineer, not mechanical, but my guess is that a liquid cooled design can be cooler for the rider. In reality, there are other more important factors. If you're legs are immediately next to the engine, it's gonna be hot. My buddy rides a Triumph Street Triple. Your legs are not next to the engine on that bikes and your legs are plenty cool.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I remember when Harley used the excuse of the failure of the V Rod in sales numbers was because of the radiator hiding too much of that beautiful engine. Here is where they are at today. My Challenger has a radiator and my Fat Boy 114 has an oil cooler the size of a radiator: View attachment 619287
Harley's problem is that the riders alienate people who ride japanese bikes and they don't race enough. I've heard so many Harley riders call japanese bikes "jap-trash". Even though the v-rod is a good bike, no harley rider I know has considered it for whatever reason. No non-Harley riders consider it because all of Harley's other bikes don't check any boxes for them.

If they wanna sell performance bikes, then they should make bikes to race in actual races (superbike, motogp, etc.) and not cling to air cooled engines. I haven't met a single young person (young being <45 now, I'm 26) that specifically wants an air-cooled engine. With the Pan America and the new "custom" model, they could start their own races similar to king of the baggers.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I haven't met a single young person (young being <45 now, I'm 26) that specifically wants an air-cooled engine.
You should try getting out more. I'm 51, half the people I ride with are half as old as me and ride their air cooled bikes twice as fast as I do. I'm always in danger of getting my next speeding ticket.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You should try getting out more. I'm 51, half the people I ride with are half as old as me and ride their air cooled bikes twice as fast as I do. I'm always in danger of getting my next speeding ticket.
There are younger riders who ride them, even some that prefer them. I know some younger riders who have air cooled bikes, but not because they specifically prefer air cooled bikes. They're more of riders that just don't care one way or the other. They've all either had, considered, or are considering liquid cooled bikes.

·
Bronze member
2,909 Posts
The only problem with water cooled machines is: There's more maintenance required.How do I know this?? Cause I owned four water cooled machines.And THEN??? When you're in traffic on a hot day and that fan comes on,holy mackeral,that sudden flow of air toast your you know whats,off. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,700 Posts
As I understand it the Challenger directs most of its radiator air downwards and not straight back like most liquid cooled bikes do. There isn't much else to do as twin side radiators like a Goldwing has would look ugly and a rear radiator would mess up the appearance as well. Short of resorting to ductwork to route the hot air there isn't anything else to satisfy the style requirements.

·
Silver member
4,544 Posts
Amen to that. Here is probably how they want us to transition to electric: has everyone here been to a movie theater where the seats rumble and the sound system is more real than reality? How about some of the rides like Star Wars at Disneyland or Disney world? Picture a virtual V Twin sound combined with a vibrating seat and handlebars. With helmet laws becoming more mandatory and blue tooth technology (i have a Sena and wear a full face helmet with face shield up and transition lenses, using the closed shield only in the rain 95% of the time, I can imagine virtual sound going to the helmet speakers so no one outside your "head" hears the noise you so long to hear. Scarry thought, but very possibly will be tested.
This reminds me of the sex scene in the movie "Demolition Man" (not to be confused with our very own member Demolition Man LOL) where Sly & Sandra have virtual sex. Good movie btw :giggle:

·
Bronze member
2,909 Posts
What's VIRTUAL SEX??? Still better,what is "SEX",period?? :unsure::unsure::unsure: Oh,I know!! That's the number that comes after VIRTUAL five???:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

81 - 100 of 105 Posts