Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I know how to wash, but with the Vintage there's numerous obstacles, bags, spoke wheels, etc. what methods do U apply when cleaning your Vintage! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
S100 is a great product but make sure you get it all off or I have found that it leaves a whit residue on the black cases. So, due to that, I go old school and have used white kerosene in a spray bottle. Spray it all over the engine, with a brush scrub where you can and use a rag elsewhere. Kero will take any grime and road tar off with no problem. I even use a little in my bucket of water. Just be careful not to put it on your brake calipers. The kerosene will leave a nice finish to the black on the cases as well as the paint. Before there was clear coat, pap would use kero to clean his cars. He said it protected them and lept the finish shiny, black especially. There will be a little smell just as if you used GUNK engine degreaser, but it goes away... Dawn dishwashing liquid is goo also...

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have always washed my bikes with a hose and a bucket of car wash soap. Sponge or mitt and have at it. No scratches, bike stays clean year after year. Use a brush on the rims. I have never had engine grime. I use soap and water on the engine too. Just got rid of my 03 RoadKing and paint and metal looked new. I do use the water that goes through a filtration system and I do use compressed air to blow it dry as well as towel dry.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
S100 is a great product but make sure you get it all off or I have found that it leaves a whit residue on the black cases. So, due to that, I go old school and have used white kerosene in a spray bottle. Spray it all over the engine, with a brush scrub where you can and use a rag elsewhere. Kero will take any grime and road tar off with no problem. I even use a little in my bucket of water. Just be careful not to put it on your brake calipers. The kerosene will leave a nice finish to the black on the cases as well as the paint. Before there was clear coat, pap would use kero to clean his cars. He said it protected them and lept the finish shiny, black especially. There will be a little smell just as if you used GUNK engine degreaser, but it goes away... Dawn dishwashing liquid is goo also...
Using kerosene to clean and shine a vehicle "works", but the smell takes some getting used to. Reminds me of friend from high school that bought a new 1965 Chevy II hardtop in Red. Instead of waxing the car, he would clean it with kerosene...I admit it really did make it shine. Here is the problem...his dates would refuse to ride in the car until the smell was gone! So, I guess there can be a degree of negative "social" impact by cleaning with kerosene...LOL!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Getting the wheels clean is a challenge due to the valanced mudguards. I bought an aluminium roller pad which I place under the wheels. I can then rotate them - makes cleaning quick and easy.

·
1,956 Posts
I also bought a rainproof seat cover, so I can keep the leather dry when washing...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Good Idea!!!! Where did U get the roller and water proof cover?

Getting the wheels clean is a challenge due to the valanced mudguards. I bought an aluminium roller pad which I place under the wheels. I can then rotate them - makes cleaning quick and easy.

·
1,956 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a jack I lift it up on each time so that I can just spin the wheels. So much easier. Just use car soap and brush to do wheels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone else use magic erasers on their white walls? I find these things amazing!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts