Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Lather and rinse. Repeat if necessary.

Reactions: Twinhit

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Two buckets, one wash one rinse, a good wash mitt, good car wash soap (no dishwasher detergent), clean microfiber drying cloths. Use a separate bucket for the wheels and have fun polishing that Scout :D

Reactions: Lock & Load

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
Proper Indian Scout washing technique. Be sure to use plenty of dirt.

hillclimb.jpg

Do not make this all too common mistake:

motorcycle-hill-climbing.jpg

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
Two buckets, one wash one rinse, a good wash mitt, good car wash soap (no dishwasher detergent), clean microfiber drying cloths. Use a separate bucket for the wheels and have fun polishing that Scout :D
But seriously, what he said.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Do not make this all too common mistake:

View attachment 3253 [/QUOTE]
That's one of those "Oh S***" moments :D

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
If you ride fast enough the dirt won't stick :).. I usually take the bike to the self serve wash with the hand sprayer.. If it gets that dirty... I don't know what Indian has for cleaners.. But harley has different pump and paint can type cleaners that loosen dirt and wipe.. No need to get all the way wet..,if you don't want to. Detailing is what takes time.. But if your in love... It's a nice way to pass time.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
May seem weird but works great and wan't harm your bike. Try Murphy Oil Soap,wood cleaner. 98% natural and phosphate free.. Cleans good and is safe for cars and bikes. After washing I use my leaf blower to get the water off, then start the engine and run for a few minutes to dry out the electrical system. Or just take her for a ride, a clean machine seems to run better. Been doing it this way for 30 yrs, no problems yet. Oh, stay away from the high pressure car wash.

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
For me, personally, I don't really wash my bike. I might hose it off if it gets dirty, but that's about it. Some people like chrome and shiny paint and want that baby to blind people with the gleam as they roll by. I like matte paint, "smoke" as Indian calls it, and for the bike to have almost a rat-rod vibe, for it to look like its been places. Dents, dings and rust (obviously not on anything essential) are the bike's equivalent to scars and tattoos. To each his own.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Last bike, I had a cleaning bike lift. Roll around stool.. Lift it up, clean the wheels, the underside.. Look for damage.. Wax on, wax off.. Sit back and admire my investment..for deep, dirty cleaning, use the s100 hose down at self serve car wash.. ( using the low pressure spot free rinse) then that Road glide could take 4 hours to detail.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Washing your bike almost always occurs during good weather.......that really cuts into riding time. o_O

I just use car wash soap and wipe it down and hose it off before it can dry. Then I towel it off with terry cloth. Then I go over it with Wizards Mist-N-Shine and a micro-cloth. Then ride it to get it dirty again.

·
Registered
497 Posts
- If you do the self-serve thing (not the best idea) be SURE that the water pressure stays away from the wheel bearings [blasting water in there leads to corrosion every time]
- slip a rubber glove on the end of the exhaust pipe(s) [water build up there leads to corrosion -- I point it out to people at Rallies. It's like they never see it.]
- stay away from Armour all or tire dressing [fine on cars, lousy on bikes]
- use leather conditioner after all is dry

1 - 20 of 38 Posts