Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!! I took the plunge and had the Stage 1 installed on my Springfield. I went with the round High Flow air cleaner. My question to all of you is what procedure do you use washing the bike? Do you cover the air cleaner with a bag or something to keep the water out or just wash the bike as per usual? I'm a little worried about getting too much water into the air cleaner.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think that riding in the rain would get more water in than washing your bike.
I was kind of thinking the same thing but I'm still worried about getting too much water in there. Gort was suggesting using a plastic bag or even an old time shower cap to cover it. You don't use anything to cover yours while washing?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
I don’t cover mine at all and it has never been an issue. After I dry it off I take it for a short ride to shake the rest of any remaining water off. Never been a problem.

·
Rider
943 Posts
I don't cover mine and usually start it up to move it back into the shade right after its dried. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t cover mine at all and it has never been an issue. After I dry it off I take it for a short ride to shake the rest of any remaining water off. Never been a problem.
Thanks. I was just wondering about the water since Indian doesn't even have a rain sock for it. I didn't even see anything about washing the bike after doing a search on the forum.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't cover mine and usually start it up to move it back into the shade right after its dried. Never had a problem.
I take it while washing you try to get as little water as possible on the air cleaner right or do you just spray it off as usual?

·
Rider
943 Posts
I don't really think about it, I spray the area but don't dwell on the filter.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have the same AC. When I'm washing the bike I just try not to spray too much water in the area. Hasn't been an issue at all.

Phil

·
Rider
943 Posts
Ok...Thanks.
As long as you don't have standing water in the AC that can be sucked in directly you will be fine. Any water in the filter will atomize as the AC filter releases it and it will just pass through as a vapor. Think about water injected motors its a mist and won't hydro lock your engine.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I've got the same AC and never worry about it when washing. I soap and hose down the face of it and avoid the filter itself.

Any water that hits it will only flow to the bottom and drain out. I can't see any way it will be able to penetrate the filter element and turn the flow to get into the throttle body. Sucking air through a wet filter is not a worry in heavy rain.

·
Silver member
5,027 Posts
I don't worry about mine. I do as other suggest and I am just slightly careful when I wash it. I always wash it with one of adjustable garden hose nozzles with multiple settings. I find just the heavy mist one is plenty of water for the surface of the bike. I only use a bit higher pressure setting when I rinse under the fender and the to get all the brake dust out.

When I'm done with my chamois I grab a terri towel and gently wipe the surface of the filter, but that's more to pick up any oil residue than it is a worry about the water or water intrusion...

Then when I'm done with that I use that same towel to soak up the water that settle in that odd pocket underneath the rear jug on the primary side. I think that is important and everyone should do that. I don't want water standing in that area and messing up the finishes or causing any rust. I find that spot the one real oddity on the engine, :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got the same AC and never worry about it when washing. I soap and hose down the face of it and avoid the filter itself.

Any water that hits it will only flow to the bottom and drain out. I can't see any way it will be able to penetrate the filter element and turn the flow to get into the throttle body. Sucking air through a wet filter is not a worry in heavy rain.
Thanks....I'm not as worried as I was before. I'm surprised Indian didn't supply instructions for washing the bike with this air cleaner. Guess that makes too much sense right? o_O

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't worry about mine. I do as other suggest and I am just slightly careful when I wash it. I always wash it with one of adjustable garden hose nozzles with multiple settings. I find just the heavy mist one is plenty of water for the surface of the bike. I only use a bit higher pressure setting when I rinse under the fender and the to get all the brake dust out.

When I'm done with my chamois I grab a terri towel and gently wipe the surface of the filter, but that's more to pick up any oil residue than it is a worry about the water or water intrusion...

Then when I'm done with that I use that same towel to soak up the water that settle in that odd pocket underneath the rear jug on the primary side. I think that is important and everyone should do that. I don't want water standing in that area and messing up the finishes or causing any rust. I find that spot the one real oddity on the engine, :)
Thanks.......From most of the answers that I've been getting I guess I was too worried about getting water in there. I'll just be careful when washing not to spray water directly into the filter and I should be alright. I'm the same with water standing in crevices around the motor. I use a leaf blower to blow off the bike real good then I wipe her down. Seems to do the trick.

·
Silver member
5,027 Posts
In the owners manual, the only thing Indian warns against is using a power washer ie, the pressure of a car wash to clean up your bike. Which makes sense with these modern bikes and ECUs and VCMs and micro wires...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In the owners manual, the only thing Indian warns against is using a power washer ie, the pressure of a car wash to clean up your bike. Which makes sense with these modern bikes and ECUs and VCMs and micro wires...
I agree with the Owners Manual......A pressure washer would be a BAD idea for these bikes! o_O

1 - 20 of 27 Posts