Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are washing your Roadmaster with a yard hose, or at a car wash - how do you keep the seat and backrest from getting wet? Any good ideas that work?
20200330_163201.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They get wet. I wash them. They get dirty, too. Then, I dry them. Mircofiber towels/clothes work great.
Otherwise... I use F-11 for quick cleans.

After proper and complete dry down, what do you use on the leather for treatment?

·
German Rider
1,471 Posts
Bucket and Sponge. So reduce the areas to get wet to a minimum.

That is what I do. But I only wash the bike once or twice a year. Why ? It is made for riding, not developed for washing. Cleaning the windshield after wach ride.

Cu,
Sven

·
Rider
1,126 Posts
If I have a ton of bugs I will go to the car wash for a good blast. Otherwise, it just with a garden hose and elbow grease. I use F11 for a good shine, (which is usually a 2 beer job)

--
Gordon

·
Read Only
416 Posts
If it's a good, thorough cleaning, I remove the seat. Gotta get under that sucker to get all that dust/road grime outa there. I do clean the seat but use a good leather cleaner and treatment.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just washed mine for the first time since I bought it last july. Used a hose with a sprayer and some microfiber cloths. Previously I have only used bike spirits. Works which works great on chrome, paint, glass and helmets. But last week the lovebugsvwere just too thick. Wiped the seat down with a wet cloth. Have the tan leather seat. Still not sure what treatment to use on the tab leather.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Bought mine in Feb 2018, it's never seen a hose. Just wipe it down with Fastwax and a clean microfiber after every good ride, or a couple trips to work and back. It does not take that long (only a beer) and it still looks new, even with the soft paint. Never would have bought it myself but the ex bought it for me one time and I tried it and liked it. Works great, just wish I didn't cost so much. I have tried several others, but this seems to release bugs, hide scratches and doesn’t leave a film better than others. Didn't have a problem with road grime sticking to the leather till I started using Skidmore's (and still using it), but it does last longer.

Reactions: Cmiller

·
Registered
57 Posts
Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax and warm water ..with a CLEAN microfiber towel..blow dry with a battery powered leaf blower= no spots. Usually detail with a spray detailer before a ride, takes about 15 min.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I don't worry about my seat leather getting wet. It rains and the whole bike is wet. I park at a hotel, cover the bike with a rain tarp, and the next morning, it is still we. I treat the leather regularly and trust that a regular car will be enough. It is what it is. Years from now, if I must, I reupholster the seat. I've noticed that after 40,000 plus miles, wear, like Thanos, is inevitable.

Reactions: Cmiller

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I’ve never done a traditional wash on any of my bikes. Unless there’s caked on mud, it’s simply unnecessary.

There are tons of “waterless” wash products out there and is what I use along with quick detail products for the day to day cleaning. Once a year I’ll go further and do paint decontamination, polishing, sealing and waxing.

If you’re looking to avoid getting your seat wet, maybe check out that method. If you do it wrong (dirty microfiber or “scrubbing”), you can really scratch your paint up

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have had a BAD experience washing another motorcycle with a hose. The advice given to me by a Ducati race team mechanic and now shop owner. Is Never spray pressurized water at a motorcycle! Use a bucket with car wash soap, water, and microfiber rag. When rain falls or we ride in the rain it is not the same. Pressurized water can and will find its way into wheel bearings, electronics, ect. My case was the shift lever seal and it rusted inside my shift lever, i could only shift from neutral to first. I know some people that swear by hoses. I learned the hard way. I really only wash it a couple times a year. I Mostly use a spray detailer and micro fiber rags.

Reactions: RedRM

·
Registered
72 Posts
My RM is washed after every tour.
Simply a bucket of water and a good microfiber cloth.
For the saddle I got advice from a riding sport company,
Now and then clean with leather soap and rub in with a leather milk.
I would be told that too much fat is just as harmful as not doing it at all.
The leather could not "breathe" enough with too much fat.

A little tip on the edge:
If the motorcycle is clean, it is polished again with furniture polish.
This has two reasons
1. the surface becomes very smooth and shiny.
2. due to the polish, the dirt does not stick and is easier to remove.
3. this gives the pane a great view

I've been practicing this for 45 years, always with success.

Cleaning is like a meditation for me, with a good cup of coffee I could do it for hours.
And you can enjoy a wonderfully shiny motorcycle again.
I could never ride around on a dirty motorcycle

Greeting
MacLeod

1 - 20 of 26 Posts