Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to switch over to Amsoil on my RM. Where do I get the drain plug washers and filter? I figure there’s an online source.

·
Bronze member
3,938 Posts
I’m going to switch over to Amsoil on my RM. Where do I get the drain plug washers and filter? I figure there’s an online source.
The Crush washers are 12X18X1.5mm and can be obtained at most automotive stores or Industrial stores like Grainger. The Aimsoil Filter part number is EAOM103, WIX 51358, K&N 204

·
Silver member
4,818 Posts
I used the same crush washers for my last three oil/filter changes, no leaks. I have a bag of 25 new ones that I bought about 2 years ago, soon after buying my Vintage. Can anyone tell me where the hell I put them? Thanks in advance LOL

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,392 Posts
I used the same crush washers for my last three oil/filter changes, no leaks. I have a bag of 25 new ones that I bought about 2 years ago, soon after buying my Vintage. Can anyone tell me where the hell I put them? Thanks in advance LOL
I'm with you. I got extra laying around but I have reused the originals and no leaks at all. Dean

·
Bronze member
3,344 Posts
on the floor underneath the work bench.. behind the leg... use a flash light

·
Rider
555 Posts
On top of your head with your glasses? 🤣

·
Registered
205 Posts
Buy another bag of 25 and when you go to put them away in "the perfect spot to not forget where they are" you will find the other bag already there.

·
Silver member
4,818 Posts
Buy another bag of 25 and when you go to put them away in "the perfect spot to not forget where they are" you will find the other bag already there.
HA!! I've done that before with other stuff LOL

·
Registered
308 Posts
The top washers are what I found when I changed the oil on my Roadmaster for the time since the warranty ran out, the Indian dealership tech fitted dowty washers instead of copper crush washers, they listed the crush washers on my invoice at the time.

·
Silver member
4,818 Posts
I never heard of or about Dowty washers. After reading DAVO's post above I Googled (Bing'd actually) and read/learned a bit about them. Seems to me that as long as the center rubber or nitrite ring can stand up to the heat, they'd be as good or probably better at sealing than the copper crush washers.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I.have used Cummins fuel system dynaseals (dowty washers) for drain plugs for years as they are basically lifetime and don't leak.Have them on my bikes and 6.0 Ford.Believe the # for 14mm is 3918192.

·
Registered
8 Posts
got a bag from a polaris atv/utv dealer
ridenow
couple bucks for the bag
as opposed to $5 for one from indian dealer

·
Silver member
4,818 Posts
Every now and then we read about stripped threads at the oil drain locations. Could be that some guys, owners and shop employees, might over tighten the bolts to ensure that the "crush" washers get crushed/squished enough to create adequate seal. The use of Dowty washers might help stop the tendency to over tighten the drain bolts as the wrench user might not feel as much need to "crush" the damn crush washer. Just a thought....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I thought I was the only one who loses things. I'm building a new garage. I'll never loose anything ever again. 😆

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
ReI'me
I started reusing the oil drain washer with my 69 Triumph and BMWs, still do on my Indian. I reheat them on the gas stove and when they turn green I drop them in water to anneal them. Never had a problem with eather! Who said I was cheap?

Reactions: Moto_Max

·
Rider
943 Posts
.26 cents a piece good for 25 oil changes or 125,000 miles....could share with a friend. They are .89 a piece at the dealer. Looks like the dowty washers are popular on the other side of the pond every search came up over there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts