Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rider
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been reading and searching for a solid conclusion on the cold start ping. Some say the decatted head pipe is the cause and others say it’s the crossover under the bike after some mods have been performed. Wasn’t there a post where a member made some sort of modification to the cross over to either stop the ping or muffle the audible sound it makes. I did read Racnray modded the stock and essentially made a new pipe out of it the allows more flow. I don’t have his talent or machine shop so can someone point me to the post where the member did some work on the crossover?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I seem to recall reading someone’s post here about wrapping the crossover pipe in muffler heat tape. Another fix was to get a piece of flat stock steel or aluminum and hose clamp it to the crossover pipe. I tried this and did not get the same results the OP claimed.
I plan on getting around to the muffler tape soon.

·
Rider
682 Posts
I didn't care for the pinging sound on the cold pipes on my 2017 Springfield and determined as others that I could reduce or eliminate it by clamping some flat steel stock to the crossover. If I recall, I used 1/8" stock that was 11/2 or 2" wide and the length was about that of the crossover pipe. I clamped a piece on top and bottom and then wrapped it with exhaust rap. It's all being held by several hose clamps. In my case, it totally eliminated the pinging sound.

·
Rider
682 Posts
I'm not sure what to call it. It is only an issue when the engine is cold and only lasts for several minutes until things heat up. I believe it is caused by is the expansion of the exhaust pipes & catalytic case as they are being heated by the exhaust gas. I think that the strapped steel and wrap just dampen the sound.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm not sure what to call it. But, what I believe it is caused by is the expansion of the exhaust pipes & catalytic case as they are being heated by the exhaust gas. I think that the strapped steel and wrap just dampen the sound.
I only used 1 piece of flat stock and until everything gets hot I still have the pinging. Sounds like a second piece of metal and exhaust tape is what I need.

·
Rider
682 Posts
I only used 1 piece of flat stock and until everything gets hot I still have the pinging. Sounds like a second piece of metal and exhaust tape is what I need.
You might try it. It worked for me. What size of flat stock did you use? I cut the length so that it went from almost end to end, but stay within the bends of the tube and lie flat on the crossover pipe.

·
Rider
682 Posts
I looked under my bike to see if there was any exposed stock that I could measure, but didn't see any. After measuring it, I assume I probably used 11/4 or 11/2" stock. Here's a few pics. It's been on there for about 15000 miles.

IMG_0612 (002).jpg
IMG_0613 (002).jpg

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am on the road working. Gotta keep the trains moving. When I get back, wrapping with muffler tape is on the list. Thanks for the pics

1 - 11 of 11 Posts