Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have encountered another small problem that maybe others have already solved?

With the tapered bar ends going from 1 inch to 7/8 inch sizes where the controls are attached presents a new problem. How do I install a cruise control on the Scout?

Doing long distance rides here in wide open West Texas makes it very necessary for ME to have a cruise control on the throttle.

The usual ways I have used in the past wont work readily without some southern engineering!

My first solution is to install a thick rubber "O" ring between the grip and the inside house to create a friction type solution, but that is kind of inconvenient to use.

If nothing else, I like a cruise control just to rest my throttle hand or to just scratch my nose while going down the road. LOL!

·
Founding member
568 Posts
I did the O-ring on my Nomad for years. It worked great and cost next to nothing. I find the cruise control on my Chieftain to be a royal pain in the ass compared to the O-ring. Operating that thing with gloves on is a two handed operation.

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the O-ring on my Nomad for years. It worked great and cost next to nothing. I find the cruise control on my Chieftain to be a royal pain in the ass compared to the O-ring. Operating that thing with gloves on is a two handed operation.
I'm totally ignorant of the cruise control on the Chief, could you elaborate or post a picture.
From your brief description, it sounds like it might be one of the ones that go in the bar end area.

I much prefer the thumb operated controls over anything else I have seen on the market.
This is the one on my Honda Phantom.
015.jpg It also shows my mirror extensions.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Not a bad idea, thanks for sharing

·
Founding member
568 Posts
You operate the Chieftain cruise with your thumb, but none of the controls are glove friendly, and I can't hold the throttle and reach the controls with my thumb at the same time.

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You operate the Chieftain cruise with your thumb, but none of the controls are glove friendly, and I can't hold the throttle and reach the controls with my thumb at the same time.
This just peaks my imagination even more.... anyone have a picture? :)

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Troop for your good information.:)

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for revisiting the thread, I tried several very unsuccessful attempts at putting an adequate cruise control on the new Scout.

All of them were dismal failures.
The lot of them were very jinky and awkward to use .

So I decided to alter one that worked well on my Honda Phantom!
(you can see the pictures of the Honda install at the first of the thread)

As everyone knows the handlebars on the Scout are 1 inch tapering down to 7/8 inch at the grip and the ordinary cruises cant be attached as sold.
This little version that I put together today took about 1 hour.... 15 minutes to figure out what I wanted and to gather the parts and 45 minutes making it.
One inch aluminum strap drilled to fit the mirror bolt size and drilled near the edge the bolt that fits the cruise that I bought.

Bend at a 45 degree angle in the vise.
Sand it down and installed for testing.

Works great and cost nearly nothing for the modifications.
Tomorrow I will disassemble and paint the aluminum black and install a proper Stainless steel bolt with an Allen head and jam insert nut to fit the attachment point.

It works fantastic and holds firm without binding! A real winner for me and did no damage to the grips or throttle!

2015-03-12 005.JPG 2015-03-12 006.JPG

·
Registered
656 Posts
This just peaks my imagination even more.... anyone have a picture? :)
I can take a picture of my hubby's tomorrow. He has no issues setting the cruise with his gloved hand. He did say it was a little 'different' from the Vision but got used to it pretty quick. Wish we had it on the Scout!!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
You hooked me with this thread title, but.... A throttle lock is not cruise control. That's fairly obvious. That's like talking bout your staycation on a thread entitled vacation.

Back in the day, 28 thou miles thru Mexico on the Honda Trail 90, I used a simple paper matchbook between throttle grip and mirror clamp. Cheap enough. Works.

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ronnie, What model Vista Cruise is that? The basic 7/8" Universal?
Universal Vista Cruise - BikeBandit.com
That is the exact one that I used Troop! You just have to eliminate the part that goes to the left of the throttle housing!
The rubber that is installed in the unit when you get it opened up is the one that fits the best!

All things being said, I would use an aluminum strap that was about 3/8 of an inch wider!

I may take mine apart and fit a wider aluminum strip in there so I can mount a mini dpdt switch for an accessory that I have!
The switch would go just to the right of the mirror bolt.

Like I said originally, once I get it just like I want it I will paint it black to match and fit an Allen head bolt and a lock nut on the bottom where the nylon part attaches to the brace!

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Have you considered the Go Cruise universal throttle lock? It's a fairly ingenious design that should work without any extra installation effort.

Motorcycle throttle lock Universal
That is the exact one that I shit-canned and replaced with the Universal Vista!
You have to use too much of your valuable attention to keep fiddling with it all the time, I used it for over a month and never got used to it's idiosyncrasies!
To me it was a enough of a distraction trying to set it on the Scout that it was dangerous!

The angle of dangle on the Scout brake lever makes the Go Cruise operate Wonky and it slips constantly and is VERY awkward to use.
Both setting and un-setting while trying to maintain speed!

Take my advise.... It may work on other bikes JUST like in the video, but it DOES NOT WORK WELL ON THE SCOUT GRIP/LEVER SET-UP!!!
Save your money!

The Universal Vista is a simple 'Thumb on--Thumb off' operation that can be tweaked up or down when it is set in the on position!

Go through the trouble of my simple set up that I used and you will be very happy!

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You hooked me with this thread title, but.... A throttle lock is not cruise control. That's fairly obvious. That's like talking bout your staycation on a thread entitled vacation.
You are absolutely correct webmost, it is a throttle lock!

I thought about changing the title now that you mentioned it, but this is a revisit to an original thread that was mis-titled as a cruise control for the Scout!

So to maintain continuity to the thread, I will keep it as is! <VBG>

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
You are absolutely correct webmost, it is a throttle lock!
It just struck me cause between fly by wire, digital speedo, and digital tach, you have a pretty good toolbox to make true cruise widget. My CLC, by contrast, has to tote a Rube Goldberg awkward miscellany of cables and actuators and brackets and all such not to make cruise control go.

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It just struck me cause between fly by wire, digital speedo, and digital tach, you have a pretty good toolbox to make true cruise widget. My CLC, by contrast, has to tote a Rube Goldberg awkward miscellany of cables and actuators and brackets and all such not to make cruise control go.

Well, maybe next years model may have one on the bike! Maybe ABS, Maybe kickstand switch, Maybe Luggage rack, Maybe 2 tone paint, Maybe bigger gas tank, Maybe a gas gauge, Maybe a Gear indicator, Maybe even MY paid for Engine Guards, Maybe a...... infinity! <VBG>

There will have to be something to buy for next years model of the Scout!

·
Registered
272 Posts
The Universal Vista is a simple 'Thumb on--Thumb off' operation that can be tweaked up or down when it is set in the on position!
you mean like this ? vvvvvvvvvv

underside of Universal Vista Cruise vvvvvvv

that Big Black Thing ? ...[on the end of the Bar]?
that is a "Kawasaki Heavy Bar Weight" .....or so says Amazon.com
they do be heavy !

1 - 20 of 98 Posts