Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My factory warranty is about to expire and I keep getting mailers to purchase an extended warranty. Thoughts?

·
Bronze member
2,639 Posts
I’m not an extended warranty guy. Obviously, vastly more never need it vs. those that do. However, if it gives you piece of mind that an expensive repair wouldn’t come out of your pocket, then maybe it’s for you.

·
Bronze member
4,119 Posts
My factory warranty is about to expire and I keep getting mailers to purchase an extended warranty. Thoughts?

It is technically a service contract and not a real warranty like the one you had from the factory. Here is the fine print. Not bad, but make sure you know what you are actually buying.

Here is the Fine Print

Here is what is NOT Covered:

Any of the following parts: Electrical – batteries, battery cables, fuses, audio speakers or other audio components such
as amplifies or radios, and any components used for illumination; Cosmetics & Appearance – paint, chrome, moldings,
trim, glass, upholstery, windshields, and body panels; Suspension – suspension bushings; Powertrain – fluids, filters,
hoses, exhaust muffler, silencer, catalytic converters, emissions components, spark plugs and wires, and oxygen
sensors; Driveline – brake rotors, brake pads, tires, tubes, spokes, chains, belts, primary or secondary pulleys, manual
clutch plates, discs, throw-out bearing, PVT drive clutch weights, pins, rollers, bushings, and springs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It is technically a service contract and not a real warranty like the one you had from the factory. Here is the fine print. Not bad, but make sure you know what you are actually buying.

Here is the Fine Print

Here is what is NOT Covered:

Any of the following parts: Electrical – batteries, battery cables, fuses, audio speakers or other audio components such
as amplifies or radios, and any components used for illumination; Cosmetics & Appearance – paint, chrome, moldings,
trim, glass, upholstery, windshields, and body panels; Suspension – suspension bushings; Powertrain – fluids, filters,
hoses, exhaust muffler, silencer, catalytic converters, emissions components, spark plugs and wires, and oxygen
sensors; Driveline – brake rotors, brake pads, tires, tubes, spokes, chains, belts, primary or secondary pulleys, manual
clutch plates, discs, throw-out bearing, PVT drive clutch weights, pins, rollers, bushings, and springs.
What you are quoting about is the protect plan, which is a service plan. It isn’t supposed to be warranty. There is an additional extended warranty that you can add for up to 5 years, in addition to the 2 year factory warranty. My dealer quoted me $1500 for the 5 year warranty. The protect plan isn’t worth getting.

·
Bronze member
4,119 Posts
What you are quoting about is the protect plan, which is a service plan. It isn’t supposed to be warranty. There is an additional extended warranty that you can add for up to 5 years, in addition to the 2 year factory warranty. My dealer quoted me $1500 for the 5 year warranty. The protect plan isn’t worth getting.

Keep in mind many dealers sell the Protection Plan as "The Extended Warranty"

·
Registered
530 Posts
Read carefully it goes onto your original 2 year warranty say you purchased a 3 year extension well two years of it is already gone by the regular warranty so you get one extra year

1 - 11 of 11 Posts