Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found the following article when researching motorcycle warranties. I am not posting this as an HD bash per-se, but as a warning on how far the use of 3rd party accessories might be leveraged to void a factory warranty.

Harley-Davidson denies warranty claim for man who’s ridden 2.5 million miles…but why?!

Other posts point to US Federal Law. Specifically, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which makes clear that a manufacturer must prove with “scientific evidence” that a “specific modification caused a specific issue” to deny warranty coverage, regardless of the source of modification.

I wonder what "scientific evidence" HD provided in this case. Perhaps the law has changed. If not, I'd be fully entertained to see their analysis in writing.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I remember reading that when it came out. Were it me, I'd never buy another of their product. I'd fix the clutch, sell it and move on.
Flying flags, really? Pretty weak.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,227 Posts
Very interesting. I would think the trike rear differential and car tires and that added weight would have more of an effect on the clutch and gearbox. Not some simple flag installation. Dean

·
Registered
923 Posts
That's BS

Such a lame response from corporate, even if the dealer declined corporate should have over ridden

Digusted

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,742 Posts
The reason for the denial of the claim is this wasnt the first time that they had replaced the clutch on his vehicle. The flags that he was flying on his vehicle were large flags that were creating alot of drag in he trike . Football players will run carrying the same size flags to increase there stamina because of the extra drag the flag creates. its not as simple as one or two small flags mounted to his trike there were several.

·
4,227 Posts
The reason for the denial of the claim is this wasnt the first time that they had replaced the clutch on his vehicle. The flags that he was flying on his vehicle were large flags that were creating alot of drag in he trike . Football players will run carrying the same size flags to increase there stamina because of the extra drag the flag creates. its not as simple as one or two small flags mounted to his trike there were several.
True, what you state makes sense but I would think there is always more to the picture. Having a bunch of flags on the back of your bike will cause some drag but that has more to do with the speed at which you are traveling. If you are dragging those flags at 75 mph now you are starting to induce some wear and tear on the drive train. If most of what he is doing is at 40 or 50 we have another argument. This old vet does not seem like the type to me to be blasting down the interstate tearing things up. It would be really nice to get the whole picture of what is happening here. Most of these news casts don't give you "the rest of the story". Once again, I think I am dating myself here. Dean

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"alot of drag" or comparisons to football players is not enough to void a warranty claim. HD is required to provide scientific evidence - I'd like to see the analysis used in their response for voiding the warranty.

·
4,742 Posts
True, what you state makes sense but I would think there is always more to the picture. Having a bunch of flags on the back of your bike will cause some drag but that has more to do with the speed at which you are traveling. If you are dragging those flags at 75 mph now you are starting to induce some wear and tear on the drive train. If most of what he is doing is at 40 or 50 we have another argument. This old vet does not seem like the type to me to be blasting down the interstate tearing things up. It would be really nice to get the whole picture of what is happening here. Most of these news casts don't give you "the rest of the story". Once again, I think I am dating myself. Dean
He rides with them on the highways and freeways at highway speeds. When this story first hit two years ago a lot of people on the Victory forum Thevog.net supported Harleys decision not to honor the claim for the second time.
The whole story

·
4,742 Posts
"alot of drag" or comparisons to football players is not enough to void a warranty claim. HD is required to provide scientific evidence - I'd like to see the analysis used in their response for voiding the warranty.
Im not sure where to find it but if they denied it Im sure they have it to cover there ass.

·
6,027 Posts
This guy is a badass in my book. I'd fix his bike and give him my flag to carry any day.

·
5,568 Posts
Sorry but I'm with Harley on this. The weight isn't the problem it's the wind reaistance. Try riding down the highway holding one of those big flags out the window and see how much drag they cause. IT'S MASSIVE!

Had he just flown them at parade speed I could see him disputing it but highway speeds?

But...for PR reasons I could see them fixing it. The only problem is then it sets a precedence.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
I were HD I would have made an entire marketing campaign around this guy. Opportunity missed

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2506

·
Registered
767 Posts
But...for PR reasons I could see them fixing it. The only problem is then it sets a precedence.
But had the dealer fixed it, would anyone have ever heard about it? Everyone has heard about them not fixing it.

I think the dealer should have fixed it, but on the flip side - it's a clutch. They don't cost that much and if it has been a problem before, maybe upgrade it from the factory playskool parts at your own expense.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
I would think corporate could work with the veteran, maybe buy him some smaller flags and fix the clutch for free.

Harley does support the Arm forces. Or did they change their minds?
Had Harley-Davidson corporate again replaced his clutch under warranty and told him, no, went out and got him some smaller Flags to fly on his trike, he would have gone out and found even bigger flags than he has now and put them on his trike. He's kind of a character. The folks calling him a badass are half right.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts