Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to pass on some information I recieved from the horse's mouth. I was trying to get the specs on the audio system because someone that bought a set of my jumpers was using 2 ohm speakers. I know the stock speakers are 4 ohm but because I don't have the specs for the amp, I don't know if it can safely drive 2 ohm speakers. (You can always go with a high imedence, but not always lower.)

The response I got from Polaris, through my tech, was:

"...I have an open service manual and there are no specs available to me on the audio system of the chieftain. I called tech support to ask if the speakers were 2 or 4 ohm and they responded by stating any changes to the audio system other than Polaris/Indian Motorcycle products will void the warranty if there are any issues with the audio system. "

They would not give him the specs on the system so he could not answer the question for me.

This is another good reason to use Jumpers to connect the new speakers and to avoid cutting your wires. I strongly suggest you hold on to the stock speakers and make the switch back should you have any issues with your audio system. Do not give them a reason to void your warranty.

I am absolutely condifident that if you use 4 ohm speakers, like the Polk DB-421, they will not cause any problems as they are rated the same as the stock speakers.

Having said all that, if you don't already know, I am also confident that any non-Indian mechanical mods, including air cleaners and exhaust system WILL void the warranty. Whether your particular shop will turn a blind eye is another matter but you should at least be ready just in case. I would go so far as to say, keep all your stock parts and switch back if warranty work is needed.

·
Founding member
1,107 Posts
As always,great info. Used your jumpers with the new speakers. Sounds great.

Also agree, aftermarket parts,void warranty. Paid extra for the stage 1 pipes but still have 4 years of power train warranty and a great sounding bike.

·
Super Moderator
4,867 Posts
Having said all that, if you don't already know, I am also confident that any non-Indian mechanical mods, including air cleaners and exhaust system WILL void the warranty. Whether your particular shop will turn a blind eye is another matter but you should at least be ready just in case. I would go so far as to say, keep all your stock parts and switch back if warranty work is needed.
I know the warranty game well, modifications not recommended by the manufacturer normally result in a denial of warranty benefits.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Been through that on several cars. It's a catch all as they refuse to test their gear with all the mods that could happen out in the universe. However, if you can prove that your modification did not create the warranty issue you claim, then they have to honor the warranty. I had several bouts with Chrylser and Ford, even one that included modifications done by the dealership, and in all the cases, when the modification was shown to not have caused the problem, the vehicle manufacturer had to honor the warranty. The challenge on the owner is to provide all the information to prove the modification did not create the issue. That can be tricky. As with anything having to do with attorneys, the easiest and quickest answer is always no.
Putting the wrong rated speakers on your amp, or using wiring that isn't rated properly for the speakers or amp, could certainly cause issues with the sound system.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed. That is why I used larger gauge wires than stock and recommend using 4 ohm speakers.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My game plan is to hang onto the original speakers. I picked up a set of DXi-525 from Polk. They have the same specs as the DB-521 you purchased but less than half the price because they are being discontinued. My plan is to build some connectors much like you did. I also plan on getting some of the better chrome spray paint for the plastic grills and putting multiple coats on them over a period of about 2 weeks. Kuryakyn is up to $90 for their chrome speaker grills and they are out of stock on those.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
:eek: Black speaker grills are just fine...
Dan,
On the most part, I agree however I have a friend who did it on his Victory and it really looks great...so I am considering it.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Polaris is the not the greatest to stand right up on warranties .. Best thing going for you is have a dealer that will work with you to get things right .. My first real issue with Polaris is on my 2012 Victory Cross Country the right hand side saddlebag latch which is clearly misaligned causing it's premature fatigue .. Still sitting on the bench to see how they respond .. Hopefully they will realize if want to be a success have to be good to you after the sale as well .. had Forgotten about this Post .. They did stand up and Honor the Warranty and totally replaced with a whole new key set .. $450.00 Worth at no cost to me ..

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have completed installing the Polk Audio DXi-525 speakers on my Chieftain. The sound is definitely better. Better highs and lows and some improvement to the mid range tones. The other plus is now I can set the fader totally to the front (the only place I have speakers) and even at level 10, I don't have buzzing or trashy sounds.

Picked them up on Ebay for $38.88 with free shipping. They are a discontinued speaker but the specs and size is the same as DB's that Dave used.

I like it!

Semper Fi,
DrZ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts