Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Roadmaster purchased 11/17. Was told warranty is to expire in November. Is it worth buying the extended warranty thru Indian. $1900 for additional 60 months to start in November. Have not had any problems yet with the bike.
Thanks
Paddy

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
I can only give you my view on it. I will be in the same scenario next August. And I will get an extended. 2 reasons I will is 1 I put between 15 to 20,000 miles on a year and will keep mine for 4 to 5 years. I will be retired at that point next year so my miles per year will likely go up higher. 2 the electronics with all the features on these bikes could possibly become an expensive issue farther down the road if repairs are needed. So for my scenario I can see it. Now if I was gonna keep It for the same amount of time and I only averaged about 5000 a year I wouldn’t consider an extended. I believe these bikes are built well enuff where a 25 to 50,000 mile run should be pretty trouble free. Again it’s just my thoughts and how I determine why I would or wouldn’t get one.

·
Bronze member
2,119 Posts
How many miles do ya have on it now?? Is the dealer that mentioned the warantee expiration to ya, trust worthy,are they reputable or are they just looking to make some money?? $1900 is a lot of money!! Can you work on it,in other words,are you mechanically inclined?? If NOT,then it's probably worth it.It's a tough call! Since I do all my own work,naturally,I wouldn't buy the extended warantee.But that;'s me.Anyways,since you mentioned November as the expiration date,ya still have 6 months to decide! Good luck!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The extended warranty is expensive, but if you're keeping the bike (or that's your plan) for more than two years it's the gamble that is worth it. I'm hoping mine is wasted money because I'd rather not have any problems, but machines are machines. Murphy's Law rules the land. It's like your IMRG membership. I renew mine. I forgot to tighten a battery cable while working on the bike and the tow service was worth the fee alone. Same with the warranty... I hope you never need it, but if you do you'll be happy you bought it.

I plan on keeping my Roadmaster until my 70th birthday in about 4 years. That's lots of time for something to go wrong. Ny Mike brought up the electronics and I have to admit that is a big reason I got the warranty extension. Our bikes have a lot of electronics and it's one big package. Davetac1 has a good point... to this extent. You can be great mechanically, but the electronic systems can be totally different.

It's like insurance. They wouldn't do it if they didn't think they can make money. You wouldn't do it if you thought nothing could ever go wrong.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
only 4000 miles. had my Victory TC for 15 years. Hope to have this for quite awhile. I'm 65 now. Offer came from Indian corporate. Do a fair share of my own work, but the electronics can be another story. Thanks for all answers.
Paddy

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Now if it was a Harley I’d say definitely yes lol I had one on mine and it payed for itself 10 fold. 2 stereo systems alone not to mention the mechanical issues.

·
Registered
513 Posts
2017 Roadmaster purchased 11/17. Was told warranty is to expire in November. Is it worth buying the extended warranty thru Indian. $1900 for additional 60 months to start in November. Have not had any problems yet with the bike.
Thanks
Paddy
Read the fine print most of the extended warranty starts from original date of purchase not from when you sign up . So if you pay for 5 year warranty you only get 3 years covered

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this states it starts at end of current warranty." Term begins at the expiration of your 2 year manufacturer's warranty. 60 months $1900. Total coverage cannot exceed 7 years.

·
Bronze member
2,860 Posts
It starts when ever you purchase it. So if you buy it after or right before the factory warranty runs out, then yes you get the full term. If you buy it the day you buy the bike, it runs concurrently with the factory warranty essentially wasting 2 years.

BTW it is not a extended warranty, it is a service contract. Read all the fine print. It doesn't cover everything the factory warranty covers.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
How many miles do ya have on it now?? Is the dealer that mentioned the warantee expiration to ya, trust worthy,are they reputable or are they just looking to make some money?? $1900 is a lot of money!! Can you work on it,in other words,are you mechanically inclined?? If NOT,then it's probably worth it.It's a tough call! Since I do all my own work,naturally,I wouldn't buy the extended warantee.But that;'s me.Anyways,since you mentioned November as the expiration date,ya still have 6 months to decide! Good luck!!
$1900 is for 5 additional years and its what Polaris charges directly for the Roadmaster.

·
Rider
750 Posts
My question is can you take off the heat capturing cat and not avoid said warranty? I have heard removing the cat voids all warranties.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
@Paddy listen to @Ny Mike above. He has very sound reasoning behind his thoughts on this.

Look at it this way as well. Even though you have to pay it up front in 4 equal payments, they only charge you $1 extra on each payment.
$1900 is an extra $380 per year or $31.66 per month.
To me, with these modern electronics a little more than a dollar a day is well worth the piece of mind. Its also Transferable, or you can cash out the prorated value if you decide to sell.
You should be getting notice in the mail from Polaris very soon. I'd buy direct from them.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
It starts when ever you purchase it. So if you buy it after or right before the factory warranty runs out, then yes you get the full term. If you buy it the day you buy the bike, it runs concurrently with the factory warranty essentially wasting 2 years.

BTW it is not a extended warranty, it is a service contract. Read all the fine print. It doesn't cover everything the factory warranty covers.
It starts when you original Warranty expires. Yes its called an Extended Service Contract which is a misnomer imo. Like a warranty it covers everything except nornal wear and tear items.
Ive never been a fan of extended anything. Then I saw the prices charged for recall work. Of course I paid nothing, but they do charge Polaris, what Polaris allows them to charge them.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
this states it starts at end of current warranty." Term begins at the expiration of your 2 year manufacturer's warranty. 60 months $1900. Total coverage cannot exceed 7 years.
That is 100% correct. Some contracts do replace your factory warranty at time of purchase.
Polaris is buying an Insurance policy on these Extended. That rate to them is determined by reliability ratings.

·
Bronze member
2,119 Posts
The extended warranty is expensive, but if you're keeping the bike (or that's your plan) for more than two years it's the gamble that is worth it. I'm hoping mine is wasted money because I'd rather not have any problems, but machines are machines. Murphy's Law rules the land. It's like your IMRG membership. I renew mine. I forgot to tighten a battery cable while working on the bike and the tow service was worth the fee alone. Same with the warranty... I hope you never need it, but if you do you'll be happy you bought it.

I plan on keeping my Roadmaster until my 70th birthday in about 4 years. That's lots of time for something to go wrong. Ny Mike brought up the electronics and I have to admit that is a big reason I got the warranty extension. Our bikes have a lot of electronics and it's one big package. Davetac1 has a good point... to this extent. You can be great mechanically, but the electronic systems can be totally different.

It's like insurance. They wouldn't do it if they didn't think they can make money. You wouldn't do it if you thought nothing could ever go wrong.

Regarding the electronics:

As long as the battery is healthy, its' connections, clean and tight,while any electronics added to the system are installed correctly,and then, you monitor the charging system to make sure it's charging like it's supposed to and NOT over taxed [14.2 volts or a little higher],there's no reason why you should have any problems with the electrical system.And this applies to all 12 volt DC electrical systems,cars,trucks,air planes,boats,etc.On every vehicle I own,I have a volt meter and monitor it religiously so I can identify any potential problem "BEFORE" they happen.Ya see,I don't like to walk,especially pushin a machine as heavy as this one is.lol lol

And if the vehicle does NOT have a volt meter on it,I add one!!

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Regarding the electronics:

As long as the battery is healthy, its' connections, clean and tight,while any electronics added to the system are installed correctly,and then, you monitor the charging system to make sure it's charging like it's supposed to and NOT over taxed [14.2 volts or a little higher],there's no reason why you should have any problems with the electrical system.And this applies to all 12 volt DC electrical systems,cars,trucks,air planes,boats,etc.
Look at the recent Ride Command update. You think your going to get that for free when out of warranty? The answer is no.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
@Wind Horse thats tricky. It mite be a dealer thing and here’s why I say that. I’m waiting on my x pipe as we speak. I spoke with my dealer on this who I’m going to have install it for this reason. I was told they install header pipes all the time for that reason. Cats out. They told me not to be concerned they will stand behind my warranty regardless of the x pipe. I tour a lot so weather it’s an issue elsewhere hopefully I never find out. But I was told if any dealer gives me grief on it get it back home to them. As the service manager said there’s not a dealer out there not doing it and turning down the work. I’m just giving it to you as it was given to me. I’ve dealt with my dealer for several yrs with my victory always over and beyond the call of duty. I have the trust with them.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
@Davetac1 lol as I tell my wife when we roll cross country. Gas light comes on and it’s hey gas lights on and I’m not pushing ! Me I got news for you I’m not pushing this big SOB either !

1 - 20 of 32 Posts