Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite having two years to run on the five-year warranty that came with my 2014 Vintage, Polaris have rejected my claim for a new fob, when it ceased to function, on the basis that it is a consumable. Rather than describe my righteous indignation, I attach a copy of the e-mail I sent to the very wonderful Colin Moore, owner of the equally wonderful Moorespeed Racing dealership in Poole, Dorset. (I cannot praise them highly enough.)

Dear Colin,

I hope that you are well and that business is brisk.

I am writing to you today to express my profound disappointment in Polaris Industries on receipt of the information that they have decided not to honour my warranty claim for a defective ignition fob for my Indian Chief Vintage. I, for one, cannot understand their reasoning, classifying the fob as some sort of consumable rather than the vital part of the ignition system it most clearly is.

When I bought the motorcycle in its first year of production, I accepted that there might be some teething troubles and, of course, I was right. It is, however, generally perceived as a luxury product. Given the price of the vehicles themselves, as well as that of parts and accessories, one can safely assume that is also Polaris’s perception. Why then, if a proven weak point (fobs delivered with aging batteries, ridiculously short battery life, brittle innards etc.) fails to function, are they penny-pinching over warranty claims? Was I wrong to allow my excitement at the rejuvenation of the proud name to overcome my natural apprehension at becoming an early adopter?

Indian is clearly going from strength to strength, improving the quality of their product year on year. I have no doubt that I will be tempted to trade the Vintage in at some stage as a result. I would consider that my brand loyalty as I approach my 60th birthday is probably a permanent fixture. It is therefore particularly galling that the confidence that I showed in the young company by purchasing one of their motorcycles, should be so crassly repudiated. I would be grateful if you could pass on my feelings to the company, in the hope that they will realise the harm they are doing to customer relations through their actions.

Regards,

MB

We'll see.....

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Extremely articulate letter. I'm amazed that a key fob is a consumable, and I've read several posts on here where people had them replaced under warranty. Maybe your dealer will come through where PI didn't.

Sometimes that Triumph Rocket III looks pretty good, doesn't it?

Reactions: Bwana6

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. No idea whether or not it will have the desired effect, but it made me feel better. Particularly sad when a professional, enthusiastic and highly motivated dealer is clearly rather embarrassed by the actions of his supplier. I have no doubt that I will be able to come to a perfectly civilised arrangement with Colin, but then, I shouldn't have to, should I ?

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Not expressing an opinion one way or the other but posing a question.

Had the bike come with a key that broke instead of a fob, would you have submitted a warranty claim?

Again, just a curious question.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting question.Why? Would you consider the key a consumable ? One might argue that a metal peg inserted in a slot on a daily basis is subject to wear and tear and therefore a consumable, I suppose. However, a plastic disc protecting electronic components, that merely sits in one's pocket to do its job, can hardly be described as having a hard life, were it not for the endless replacement of bloody batteries. Nor, I hope, would a key cost £200 to replace.(Interesting that this price has dropped recently to about a third of that. A mute admission of its fragility?) What's more, most bikes come with at least two keys. We get one fob. Even HD supply new bikes with two fobs and two keys.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
It was a simple yes or no question but thanks for replying to it.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I would not consider a key a consumable. There are many 50+ year old classic cars and bikes that still have the original key.

Reactions: V-Twin

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts
...before we get too far off track....

The battery is a consumable, the defective electronic parts of the fob are not. If this Colin person is anyone of importance, he will notice and address your situation with the dealership, who, needs some obvious training. JMO

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting that you should edit my response, but not Mr. Matthew's. We were both being jovial you know. At least I hope he was...
If you actually read my entry, you would realise that Colin is the owner of one of the biggest Indian dealers in England. Oh I'm sure that his square footage would equate to that of one of your dealer's lavatories, but by our standards, he's big. He is entirely on my side, but has been stymied by Polaris, which was entirely my point regarding his embarrassment. The purpose of this post is not to have a whine about a particular little problem with a warranty claim, but to illustrate a wider issue of how Polaris are shooting themselves in the foot by not rewarding their customer's faith in their product from an early stage, thus eroding confidence and future sales. But what the hell, all my posts go off at an eccentric tangent anyway...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see now that my earlier response to Mr. Thumper has now been edited out too. How on Earth do you justify that? So much for free speech. A perfectly legitimate reply to an abrupt and self indulgent post. Is there really any point in continuing if you are not going to use your editorial powers more discreetly?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Wow, this is a really sad story. I can't imagine anything worse than this. If I were you I would quit my job and devote the remainder of my life making sure Polaris never forgets this terrible malfeasance of justice. I just hope that someday you will be able to find joy in life again. Now lets get back to clacker threads.

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts
If you actually read my entry, you would realise that Colin is the owner of one of the biggest Indian dealers in England. Oh I'm sure that his square footage would equate to that of one of your dealer's lavatories, but by our standards, he's big. He is entirely on my side, but has been stymied by Polaris, which was entirely my point regarding his embarrassment. The purpose of this post is not to have a whine about a particular little problem with a warranty claim, but to illustrate a wider issue of how Polaris are shooting themselves in the foot by not rewarding their customer's faith in their product from an early stage, thus eroding confidence and future sales. But what the hell, all my posts go off at an eccentric tangent anyway...
I did read your entry, being a owner of a big dealership doesn't equate to having "power over" Polaris/IMC. We have many dealers here in the States that are large but square footage doesn't always equate to power. Actually, the number of units sold is much more conducive to bending Polaris/IMC's proverbial arm. However, I'm unsure if Polaris/IMC has rejected your claim or it was the dealership? I know fobs here in the States are covered under warranty.

I see now that my earlier response to Mr. Thumper has now been edited out too. How on Earth do you justify that? So much for free speech. A perfectly legitimate reply to an abrupt and self indulgent post. Is there really any point in continuing if you are not going to use your editorial powers more discreetly?
Yes, I removed both of your posts that were more of a personal nature rather a thoughtful, insightful discussion about warranty processes and key fobs. How do I justify that, well it starts with a discussion that turned from a key fob to one about things we prefer not to discuss here, I believe your words were along the lines of a *****, Muslim and foreigner. Again, free speech is not guaranteed here on this forum, find anyplace here where we guarantee you the ability to say what you please to whomever you please and I'll re-post your inappropriate replies. It is at your discretion if you chose to continue here. I will use my "editorial powers" in a fashion I see fit or as dictated by the board Administrators.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Interesting that you should edit my response, but not Mr. Matthew's. We were both being jovial you know. At least I hope he was...
Absolutely. Jovial. Tongue firmly in cheek. And testing breadth of vocabulary and response to contradictory sarcasm.:)

I am very much the Anglophile. Much military service with Brits both in combat and training, the country of my heritage, and a place I love to visit. My wife and I have discussed retiring to Scotland in a few years. Lots of golf and distilleries. On the other hand, we're also considering Vegas--so you see what's important to us. ;)

Reactions: Graham UK

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, this is a really sad story. I can't imagine anything worse than this. If I were you I would quit my job and devote the remainder of my life making sure Polaris never forgets this terrible malfeasance of justice. I just hope that someday you will be able to find joy in life again. Now lets get back to clacker threads.
I would compose a suitable riposte to this witless diatribe, but I fear : (i) it would go over his head; (ii) our super-duper moderator would moderate it to within an inch of its life. This subject is closed and, to be frank, I really wish I'd never bothered. With notable exceptions, this forum is slowly being overtaken by trolls, self-indulgent buffoons and the politically-correct, hypersensitive little souls who are gradually making our lives a misery. A shame, given how useful it has been in the past. Now, one cannot post the most innocuous of subjects without attracting them. Good luck to those of you who still have something useful, practical, informative, amusing or merely elegant to say.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
This particular forum is owned by Canadians. That should explain the edits.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I had my fob replaced under warranty. I really wish some smart guy would come up with a kid to replace that thing with an actual key.
I meant KIT not KID.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I had my fob replaced under warranty. I really wish some smart guy would come up with a kid to replace that thing with an actual key.
My kid is pretty good with his hands. Maybe he could do that? :)

·
Bronze member
2,245 Posts
This particular forum is owned by Canadians. That should explain the edits.
Folks keep bringing that up as some sort of reason but it is not. The moderation on these forums is very thin. And VerticalScope has no clue what is being posted.

I am on one of their busiest forums and the moderation there is quick and precise due to the high volume.

For every 1 person who posts on here, there are approximately 8-9 who are lurking and deciding if they want to buy and Indian and if they want to hang out here.

WD./

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Folks keep bringing that up as some sort of reason but it is not. The moderation on these forums is very thin. And VerticalScope has no clue what is being posted.

I am on one of their busiest forums and the moderation there is quick and precise due to the high volume.

For every 1 person who posts on here, there are approximately 8-9 who are lurking and deciding if they want to buy and Indian and if they want to hang out here.

WD./
Usually when I am posting a poke at the Canucks and their ownership of this forum, its tongue and cheek, except when it's not. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts