Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to pick up my Scout today. Weather and/or schedule have precluded me from doing so before now. I thought I read on the forum that the new Scouts had a 5 year warranty and a "certificate" of some kind. I got one that someone had not picked up after putting down a non-refundable deposit. The bike had 2 miles on it and I paid full price. I have searched for the thread, but was unable to find it. If anyone has information, or could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. I need to know if I need to have a "conversation" when I get to the dealer. Thanks in advance.

G

·
I'm planning to pick up my Scout today. Weather and/or schedule have precluded me from doing so before now. I thought I read on the forum that the new Scouts had a 5 year warranty and a "certificate" of some kind. I got one that someone had not picked up after putting down a non-refundable deposit. The bike had 2 miles on it and I paid full price. I have searched for the thread, but was unable to find it. If anyone has information, or could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. I need to know if I need to have a "conversation" when I get to the dealer. Thanks in advance.
I think you will get a 2 year warranty,5 year was only for First Run buyers .Since you didn't pre-order it is not applicable.I could be wrong!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
Where did you buy it from?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
If the "commemorative" owner kit is similar to the Chief line last year, 1st run buyers will get sporadic items in the mail through out the year. I wouldn't expect anything until late spring after all the 1st run orders have been delivered...

Reactions: Trapper

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Any mileage limit on the 2 years warranty?
Anyone know what's on other brands, HD, Yamaha etc. ?

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
I wonder if replacing the exhaust system on a new bike could become a non-covered issue if something failed in the engine. It seems a lot of people are looking at aftermarket pipes to install.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,075 Posts
Looks like issues caused by new pipes would void anything caused by that. Found this in the warranty information:

"INDIAN MOTORCYCLE Warranty PolicyMotorcycle Noise RegulationTampering with noise control systems is prohibited. Federal law prohibits the following acts or causing thereof:•The removal or rendering inoperative by any person other than for the purposes of maintenance, repair, or replacement, of any device or element of design incorporated into any new vehicle for the purpose of noise control prior to its sale or delivery to the ultimate purchaser or while it is in use, or•The use of the vehicle after such device or element of design has been removed or rendered inoperative by any person.Among those acts presumed to constitute tampering are:•Removal or puncturing of the muffler, baffles, header pipes, or any other component which conducts exhaust gasses.•Removal or puncturing of any part of the intake system.•Lack of proper maintenance.•Replacing any moving part of the vehicle, or parts of the exhaust system or intake system, with parts other than those specified by the manufacturer.This product should be checked for repair or replacement if the motorcycle noise has increased significantly through use. Otherwise, the owner may become subject to penalties under state and local ordinances."

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Every consumer needs to read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Basically, the MFR has to prove the cause of the defect. So many "it will void your warranty" stuff out there. Now that said, I'd never add a non DOT/EPA exhaust or intake without a fueling device to compensate for the A/F mixture. A A/F ratio chart from a reputable tune will help your cause greatly with any upper end engine issues. An Indian certified stage 1 recal "might" help your cause, but it is still EPA legal and probably won't compensate for a more open intake/exhaust add on...
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Reactions: Basshole
1 - 14 of 14 Posts