Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Chieftain, a few over 15,000 miles. This week the bike started showing signs of a warped front rotor - speed related pulsing/bouncing when applying the front brake. It gets worse as the rotor heats up.
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Would like to know before I go to the dealer this week. Thanks

·
Red & Black ChiefMaster
628 Posts
Same here. I checked last week when changing the front tire. I spinned front wheel without caliper, could not see for sure by eye only, so I brought a fixed object near the rotor, and rotor cycled from touching/not-touching the fixed object. both front rotors are slightly warped. Not quantitative, so I do not know if outside of specs. Will bring it to dealer and try a warranty claim... 30,000 km, 9 months old. If not warrantied, will look for non-Indian rotors first (maybe better performance and better looking...)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Sounds like a sticking caliper....those are floating rotors and can wobble, the best way to check is with a straight edge against disk...........good luck....

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a vibration in my front brake too. Had the dealer check it and he verified I have a rotor that is slightly warped. He asked if I wanted to warranty it and I told him not until the end of the season. I don't want to be held up as there is still riding left, maybe next month. I've got a '14 Chieftain with 32,000 on it, the vibe started at about 22,000. As long as I know what it is, it doesn't bother me that much and the warp isn't progressing very fast.

Ride Safe

·
Red & Black ChiefMaster
628 Posts
My front warped disks just got replaced under warranty. Thumbs up to Indian for backing their bikes. Apparently I am only the second one at my dealer. And if anyone local would have had brakes like mine (almost scary), they would have gone to the dealer.

32,500 km so far, about 4000 at near freezing temps (including 200 km past weekend at 0C), 5000 at temps above 30C (noticeable vibrations started during that ride), and the rest between 10 and 25C.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Who did you guys contact? I've had issues with front rotors on a '14 Chieftain, & Polaris told me to pound sand. It's has about 8000 miles on it, & I very rarely use the front brakes. As a matter of fact, I had the bike in for an update, & they were the ones that informed me of the issue. I'm convinced there is a manufacturer quality issue. One of the dealers I spoke with told me of 2 other instances this fall of the same problem reported by other owners.

How do I get Polaris/Indian to step up. Both the dealers I tried didn't get anywhere with them. I tried contacting one of the names I had for Indian, but he was "untouchable" by someone at my level, being just an owner. Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2014 Chieftain, a few over 15,000 miles. This week the bike started showing signs of a warped front rotor - speed related pulsing/bouncing when applying the front brake. It gets worse as the rotor heats up.
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Would like to know before I go to the dealer this week. Thanks
Did you ever get any response to this? I've had the same issue. In reading some of the posts below, it looks like it is getting covered under warranty. We need to elevate this issue & get Indian to step up. I contacted them directly, & they wouldn't do a thing. Knowing how I ride, this is not an issue of over-use or abuse. They have a product issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I experienced the same thing recently on a 2016 Roadmaster. Vibration when applying the brakes.
Any news on your issue? I'm on a mission to let Indian know they have a problem. We need to get on as many sites as possible. If they don't step it up, I'm more than willing to visit as many of these sites until I get them to resolve it. This may include going to other sites & informing other riders that Indian isn't willing to stand behind the product. My 2014 Chieftain came with a 5 year warranty. I'm beginning to understand how much that was worth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same here. I checked last week when changing the front tire. I spinned front wheel without caliper, could not see for sure by eye only, so I brought a fixed object near the rotor, and rotor cycled from touching/not-touching the fixed object. both front rotors are slightly warped. Not quantitative, so I do not know if outside of specs. Will bring it to dealer and try a warranty claim... 30,000 km, 9 months old. If not warrantied, will look for non-Indian rotors first (maybe better performance and better looking...)
You can see some of my messages in this string. Did you get any help from the dealer or Indian? Funny thing, this fix is $700-800, our cost depending on labor. With Indians actual part costs at probably 50% of retail & minimal labor, they'd be better off taking care of it for the owners. The problem is, we haven't made enough noise yet to get their attention. We need to let them know we are dissatisfied.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a vibration in my front brake too. Had the dealer check it and he verified I have a rotor that is slightly warped. He asked if I wanted to warranty it and I told him not until the end of the season. I don't want to be held up as there is still riding left, maybe next month. I've got a '14 Chieftain with 32,000 on it, the vibe started at about 22,000. As long as I know what it is, it doesn't bother me that much and the warp isn't progressing very fast.

Ride Safe
See my posts on the other comments for this topic. I'd like to find out if your dealer is really going to handle this & see about getting someone from that dealer, to communicate with mine, or Indian directly. This is extremely frustrating & I have 1/4 the miles you do, & a dealer informed me of the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Bronze member
2,819 Posts
This as been mentioned in other posts, I think the disks are made in Mexico. I thank the disks are too thin for the weight of the bike, vented disks would be better ( my thoughts )

·
Bronze member
1,820 Posts
I can say in my 40 years as a m/c technician that it is NOT uncommon for front rotors to warp. I warped TWO SETS on my Kawi Vaquero. On these big cruisers the size of the rotors are inadequate and the material used for the rotor is the same, not adequate. One or both of my front rotors on my CDH have been warped for some time now and I will be jacking up the front end and checking them with a dial indicator. I have also found the "out of limits" specs found in most service specs are waaaaaay outa line, brake pulsation can be felt LONG b4 the rotors get to or exceed the factory specs.
Indians service limit on rotor runout is .012", bout the same as most others, and is a REDICULOUS amount as the affect od warped rotors can be felt with as little as .005-.006" runout.
I am gonna check into aftermarket rotors as their quality far surpasses OEM crap.

edit... the Indians use a 300 mm rotor, waaaaaay too small for a heavy bike and for anyone who favors or uses the front brake religiously. After seeing the "made in china" on my back wheel when I changed the tire who knows where these rotors are made, and by the looks of how many of us are/have had warped rotors the quality of these things is suspect.

I checked and Braking has nice rotors, same as what I have on my Busa.

RACNRAY

Reactions: quibble

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have also seen rotors bent by mechanics when changing tires. They put pressure on the rotor when changing.

Reactions: quibble

·
Registered
205 Posts
Wow, I haven't had the issue but I'm a 2015 with 6050 miles. We need to stay on top of this.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Many dealers 'read' the extended warranty to just lubricated engine parts and rotors are not covered past the initial coverage period. Again and again............another Polaris mess that dealers do not understand. I have never used the extended warranty and my rotors are good but depending on who looks at your bike, what dealer, will tell you what gets fixed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
2016 RM here with about 6K miles on it since July. I noticed the front brake has begun to shudder when it's cold but it smooths out some after I heat the rotors up some. I'm a former sport bike rider and I ride fairly aggressively through the mountains. I'll have the dealer check the rotors when I go in for the fuel rail recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,820 Posts
Mine are getting worse. I'm gonna set up my dial indicator sometime this week and check em.

RACNRAY

·
Bronze member
1,820 Posts
WELL...last week I had a chance to set up my dial indicator and check the run out on the rotors. I was surprised to find one rotor with only .003" and the other at .005". By feel I was sure the r/o would be more.

BUT...I did find out how cheap these rotors are. As a sportbike guy I was impressed when I bought the skoot that the front rotors were of the typical sportbike design. And they are but by appearance only. By feel the rotors are really locked down on the carriers, much more than what is typical. The worst part is that the carriers are steel, NOT aluminum! CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. Just like when I did the rear tire change on the skoot and found the wheel to be made in China, no doubt the rotors are too.

RACNRAY

Reactions: JayFL459
1 - 20 of 46 Posts