Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put gloves and a sweatshirt into the right-side OEM leather saddlebag this morning. Went on a rural two lane rarely used 30 mile asphalt (a few potholes and bumps) cruse at about 30 mph, nothing dramatic. How I saw my saddlebag skidding down the road in the rear view I'll never know. No clue what caused it to free itself and take-off.

Extremely minor leather damage which I've already fixed with dye on-hand. The conchos and buckles took the hit. I've seen the conchos for $ale at the dealership, But the two buckles will only cost me about one thousand dollars, that is ($1000.00 USD). But not to worry they come with new saddlebags. Cannot get Two friken buckles from Indian. But once again, not to worry cause I'm upgrading to four custom buckles for only $70.00.

Point is I'd be concerned about them OEM saddlebags going AWOL. The dealership stated I'm the second rider that reported this to him. The first rider lost a bag on an expressway and never new it departed company with him. And who knows what valuables were entombed within that bag as it escaped?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
This scares me. I've heard someone mention this with new bags. I thought it was a spindle issue. But you have had these for two years. I don't exactly pack light OR ride slow. Thanks for the warning. Any suggestion on how to avoid it?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Owner neglect, pure and simple!!!

If you instal the bags as per the maker's instructions, it's IMPOSSIBLE for them to fall off.....

·
Banned
421 Posts
Owner neglect, pure and simple!!!

If you instal the bags as per the maker's instructions, it's IMPOSSIBLE for them to fall off.....
The mounting system contains plastic. Then there is that little metal hinge pin that is held in place by the plastic lever. If that plastic lever cracks then the hinge pin can fall out and the bag can come loose. That is one example of a way that these bags can come off that is not at all impossible. Because I do not remove my bags I have actually considered permanently mounting my bags with metal hardware before this happens to me. The plastic in the mounting system is a weak link in an otherwise clever system.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I put gloves and a sweatshirt into the right-side OEM leather saddlebag this morning. Went on a rural two lane rarely used 30 mile asphalt (a few potholes and bumps) cruse at about 30 mph, nothing dramatic. How I saw my saddlebag skidding down the road in the rear view I'll never know. No clue what caused it to free itself and take-off.

Extremely minor leather damage which I've already fixed with dye on-hand. The conchos and buckles took the hit. I've seen the conchos for $ale at the dealership, But the two buckles will only cost me about one thousand dollars, that is ($1000.00 USD). But not to worry they come with new saddlebags. Cannot get Two friken buckles from Indian. But once again, not to worry cause I'm upgrading to four custom buckles for only $70.00.

Point is I'd be concerned about them OEM saddlebags going AWOL. The dealership stated I'm the second rider that reported this to him. The first rider lost a bag on an expressway and never new it departed company with him. And who knows what valuables were entombed within that bag as it escaped?
This is an issue thoroughly discussed before on the forum. Numerous people lost their bags, or almost lost their bags. I am in the almost category.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First uscjs, researched this forum but found nothing on disengaging saddlebags, but than all Indian Owners are ether not on this or any forum, or have not disclosed their loss. Bluey, I'll attribute you're post to to the possibility of youth, as most of us with life experience understand that almost nothings impossible. I've owned Scout since January 2015 and put 47,000 miles on her, (maybe the rubber piece that inserts into the spindle has lost some of its elasticity, or the latch material may have lost some resilience with constant use over time, and/or road pounding). I had previously removed both bags for cleaning several rides prior to this incident and did state that I'd stuffed a sweat shirt down into the bag past a closed latch, and ether the latch is open or closed cause there ain't no in-between, if not closed I would have certainly noticed. And just now, and I mean just now as I write this I remember that same right side bag had come off one spindle while several days into a Grand Canyon road trip a couple months back, and the bags were never removed during that trip. I only noticed it because the bag was hanging a slightly lopsided while doing photos of the bike/canyon. I didn't think much about it at that time and had forgotten about it until now.

MY FIX: First I believe that with the exception of the solid metal/plastic spindles attached to the fender the flexible rubber piece inserted into the spindle should be replaced (after how many miles, time, or use ?) they could have degraded enough to some degree loosing friction needed to hold, and allowing vibration to cause detachment. To those who doubt that could happen, why stamp a date on rubber tires that just sit on a shelf prior to sale, what could go wrong ?, why should solid metal license plate frames crack? Almost anything is possable Bluey.

Second: I drilled one 1/4" hole adjacent both bags latches and ran a plastic coated cable thru the front hole around the back of the fender rack into the rear hole and placed a loop at that end inside the bag preventing it from coming back out. The cable end at the back of the rear hole (towards the back of the bike) has a very small loop to which the cable end of the luggage lock is passed thru and into the bag which is than attached to the lock body. The rearward hole gives you more finger room making it easier when inserting the luggage lock cable. The MacGyver fix will keep the bag attached to the bike WHEN, not is an unintentional release occurs. This will in theory also prevent a crime of opportunity.

My fix can be a bit of a pain every time I want to remove a bag, but that's only when cleaning the frame behind the bags every couple month's. Now considering that Indian will sell me two brand spanking new buckles that include a set of bags for only $1000 dollars, I'll live with the inconvenience.

Attachments

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
The mounting system contains plastic. Then there is that little metal hinge pin that is held in place by the plastic lever. If that plastic lever cracks then the hinge pin can fall out and the bag can come loose. That is one example of a way that these bags can come off that is not at all impossible. Because I do not remove my bags I have actually considered permanently mounting my bags with metal hardware before this happens to me. The plastic in the mounting system is a weak link in an otherwise clever system.
Did your plastic component/s fail?

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
This is old news.
Mine fall off all the time.
That's why Indian puts a tracking chip in them.
Just call the 800 number and they can tell you which ditch to look for them.

The great thing is that nobody wants an Indian saddlebag.
If it was a Harley bag they would be stealing them off parked bikes.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did your plastic component/s fail?
Nothing failed except the holding power of the rubber inserts seated into the spindles. I seem to remember having to use more forse on the plastic latches when closing/opening when new. For those out here with older leather bags I suggest you think back to when you first bought you're Scout and try to remember the tension applied when they were new compared to now. Or as I will do this Saturday at my IMRG meeting, hit the sales floor and compare my bag latch close/open forse to the ones on the floor.

I talked with the parts guy at the dealership who advised that he had seen one fail after being parked outside in the California Desert from dry-rot.

He suggested that I clean the inside of the spindles where dirt might have accumulated, but I fnd that highly unlikely as the bags are kept closed, and I live and ride in as clean an environment as Southern Cal offers. Also once the forse is applied to the latch and seated nothing should be able to penetrate. The bike is also kept out of the elements. I ordered new rubber spindle inserts anyway.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is old news.
Mine fall off all the time.
That's why Indian puts a tracking chip in them.
Just call the 800 number and they can tell you which ditch to look for them.

The great thing is that nobody wants an Indian saddlebag.
If it was a Harley bag they would be stealing them off parked bikes.
I believe you might have forgotten to take you're meds today, just sayin:rolleyes:

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Can you pee into a crystal beaker when riding past a contingent of IS soldiers at 310miles an hour, while whistling "How great thou art" wearing an open face helmet?

Huh?

Huh?
I'm just repeating what I heard....or maybe I made it up.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
Lost right hand bag last year.Bottom line,shitty design.I know It was owner error.Bull shit.
That's the spirit! Never assume responsibility when you can blame someone else.;)

Reactions: Bluey
1 - 20 of 110 Posts