Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I thought it was my imagination but now, almost 2 years later, a very intermittent issue is a real scary thing.

Get on my Scout, go through correct starting sequence, the clutch is in and the kickstand up, depress the start button - nothing. Then I take my thumb OFF the start button and am sitting there for 10 - 15 seconds thinking "WTF" all of a sudden the button jumps up and the bike starts. Darn good thing the clutch was being held in and I was only holding it in because the bike was in first gear!

This has happened about 20-30 times in 2 years on my scout - I kept thinking it was a fluke...

Obviously I have a problem child for an ignition switch / start button that needs replacing.

I am going to report this to the NTSB but I am wondering how many other Scout owners have experienced this?

·
Registered
225 Posts
At first I thought it was my imagination but now, almost 2 years later, a very intermittent issue is a real scary thing.

Get on my Scout, go through correct starting sequence, the clutch is in and the kickstand up, depress the start button - nothing. Then I take my thumb OFF the start button and am sitting there for 10 - 15 seconds thinking "WTF" all of a sudden the button jumps up and the bike starts. Darn good thing the clutch was being held in and I was only holding it in because the bike was in first gear!

This has happened about 20-30 times in 2 years on my scout - I kept thinking it was a fluke...

Obviously I have a problem child for an ignition switch / start button that needs replacing.

I am going to report this to the NTSB but I am wondering how many other Scout owners have experienced this?
Just Curious, have you spoken to your dealer about this issue? If so what was the response?

·
Founding member / platinum
9,885 Posts
If the switch on the clutch lever is still good, the bike would probably not have started if the bike is in gear.
It will only start if the clutch is pulled and in gear.

Pulling the clutch in disables the safety switch so the bike will start in gear.

I would think that you could open up the housing and clean the start switch area so it will not stick in the depressed position maybe it would not 'jump up' and start at an inopportune time.
I would suggest using some electrical contact cleaner.... be sure and protect your paint when using contact cleaner.
I hope I am correctly understanding your problem. :confused::)

I have had no problems with my Scout to date, but I once had a similar problem on an ST-1100 one time on a trip and I used some borrowed WD-40 to temporarily clean the contacts in the throttle housing.
It got me home OK and I then disassembled and cleaned with Radio Shack contact cleaner.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Agree with Ronnie. Have only had my Scout for a year. In that time I have pressed the starter button twice and nothing happened. It was strange but pressed again and it started fine in both cases. ( I am still thinking it may have been user error, that maybe I did not hit the button as I should or did not have the clutch pulled in all the way.) First thing I think is that oh s**t my battery is going.
mgg

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
Whatever you do here ...............geez.............do not call the dealer. Go to the top first. Like the NTSB will send someone over to fix it.

The first 20 -30 times this situation burped would have sent up a red flag here.

·
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just Curious, have you spoken to your dealer about this issue? If so what was the response?
Dealer is 1 hour plus away - first i will register the problem with Indian Polaris and get a case #. Then NTSB. Then I will call the dealer. They will probably switch out the ignition assembly / block controller on the handle bar.

·
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whatever you do here ...............geez.............do not call the dealer. Go to the top first. Like the NTSB will send someone over to fix it.

The first 20 -30 times this situation burped would have sent up a red flag here.
@Bwana6 = every person with a safety hazard has a responsibilty to inform other people. Since we know Polaris Indian doesn't do squat until their hand is forced, registering the problem with NTSB ensures the problem will get LOOKED at. Yes i normally start on the low end of the food chain, but, this is a safety issue and the scout has lots of newbee riders. We all know the NTSB doesn't fix things but they do keep excellent records for that moment when a recall needs to be issued. I would have reported this much sooner but the bike always started and my brain said " dummy you just didn't mash it right". Funny how we can talk ourselves out of something when we are in love with a machine.

·
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.