Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed True Dual pipes on my 2014 Chieftain around May 2017. The temp after install running the pipes was around 228 degrees. It was just too hot for Florida and Georgia weather. I decided to wrap the pipes with the best material I could find which was Titanium wrap. It cut the temp to around 130 degrees, so half. I have alway been careful never to get them wet and always make sure they are dry if there was rain. Last week at Bike week my second pipe on the second header just snapped while I was riding. Wasn't doing anything special, just started up and rode and snapped. I called Freedom about the pipes because when i looked at it, it looks like manufacturing defect, the metal where it snapped is very thin. Mind you it is not crumbly or even feels like it is rotten. I took off the first pipe and checked it, no weakness. I tapped it with a hammer and nothing looks great. The second pipe just snapped in the second area that was welded where the metal looks thinner. Freedom says that second weld is weaker because it has a bend in more than the other pipe in the elbow and that they have to stretch it like gum to get it to bend. However, he says that since I wrapped the pipe it will break. I tested all around the other areas of the pipe and all good everywhere tapping with hammer, only weak at the weld. Freedom said wrapping it doesn't let moisture in or out so it should have broken within the first year and he is surprised I made it two year and they don't support wrapped pipes and I should have used the heat shield instead. Freedom told me that it doesn't matter that it cracked because it was wrapped though because they only warranty the pipe 1.5 years. I told him that I had to get another pipe from Indian and they said my new Rush 2n1 has a lifetime warranty. Freedom said, Terry at Rush is a nice guy, but we only warranty for 1.5 years. I know someone that bought Freedom pipes 2 years ago and has been customizing his bike and has not even put the pipes on yet, but his warranty already expired. So needless to say if you think about it, a lifetime warranty on pipes or 1.5 years alone is a good reason to chose something beside Freedom.

I am curious about what you guys think about the wrapped pipes? I love the titanium wrap because it has such good cooling for my legs and made it bearable to ride even in the hottest weather. Do you guys agree about the wrapping of pipes with Freedom and that it shouldn't be done, or do you guys think it is worth it just to buy new pipes and wrap every two years, and be cool riding and enjoy it? I have not wrapped the Rush Pipes yet but I am thinking about it? Do you guys have wrapped pipes? Have yours cracked?

·
Registered
410 Posts
sorry but mistake #1 is wrapping pipes. problem #2 is buying anything from freedom. crap quality and some of the worse customer service known to man just look at their FB or most reviews of them from the harley guys.

·
Rider
1,593 Posts
Wrapping a pipe in a high humidity environment like Florida can cause them to fail. Does not matter that they have never seen rain, it’s just too humid. Golly, just look at the corrosion on them, what more proof do you need? Good for cigars, no good for wrapping your pipes.
I have to agree with Gort. When I looked at the pics the corrosion on those pipes looks horrible. I’m running a stock headpipe that’s been decatted. I’m in Ohio so the heat isn’t as bad. With the Florida environment I would not wrap the next set. You can research how to coat the pipe with a ceramic spray such as one for auto zone or the likes but I’d just leave it be. If need be look at some luv jugs something like that to help with the heat.

·
Rider
1,197 Posts
Garbage, total Garbage.
That rot on pipe looks like a 304 ss burner how they rot in the bbq grill.
That is really crap some inferior quality there.
I wouldnt buy that knowing it looks like that.
And only to warrant it 1.5 years is because they know its sheett and wont hang themselves out longer then that.

·
Rider
986 Posts
Corrosion is what killed the pipe. Too much moisture and heat = accelerated RUST. And if you live by the coast then the salt wasn't helping it either.

·
Bronze member
2,667 Posts
Pipe failed due to wrapping, which corroded the pipe (rust). Your pic illustrates that very well. Wrapping a pipe may look cool and give you an inexpensive way to address the heat, but it’s the worst thing you can do to a header. Sorry, this isn’t a manufacturing defect and even if still under warranty, it’s doubtful the manufacturer would replace the pipe.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have Freedom Performance True Duals installed, and I live in South Florida. I don't have them wrapped, but I will keep a close eye on them. Sorry you had a big problem with them!
Well they were great until this happened. If the answer is that every two years I replace headers to keep the heat down, if ceramic coating costs more than headers (not the spray) then maybe Im paying $250 a year to basically have cool pipes and just schedule replacement before the break. However, the front pipe looked great and did not have this problem.

·
Rider
1,197 Posts
I dont believe it.
You can believe what you want.
Good stainless doesnt rot like that no matter what. Carbon steel yes.
I had a good custom made stainless pipe wrapped from turbo back for years and it didnt look like that. Lots of heat and way more heat then the OP pipe ever seen.
Rot is Rot and the materials have a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont believe it.
You can believe what you want.
Good stainless doesnt rot like that no matter what. Carbon steel yes.
I had a good custom made stainless pipe wrapped from turbo back for years and it didnt look like that. Lots of heat and way more heat then the OP pipe ever seen.
Rot is Rot and the materials have a lot to do with it.
I believe you that it is sub quality material, at least for whatever they used for that joint. The rest of the pipe doesn't looks bad nor does the second pipe. It looks like cheap steel.

·
Registered
339 Posts
As others have said, my Freedom True Duals are as solid as the very first day. Going on 4 years now. Regarding the Rush pipe, I believe they ceramic coat the inside. You shouldn't need wrap. I had a Rush 2-1 pipe on my Heritage Softail several years back with heat shields, heat was not an issue.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As others have said, my Freedom True Duals are as solid as the very first day. Going on 4 years now. Regarding the Rush pipe, I believe they ceramic coat the inside. You shouldn't need wrap. I had a Rush 2-1 pipe on my Heritage Softail several years back with heat shields, heat was not an issue.
thanks

·
Bronze member
2,570 Posts
Garbage, total Garbage.
That rot on pipe looks like a 304 ss burner how they rot in the bbq grill.
That is really crap some inferior quality there.
I wouldnt buy that knowing it looks like that.
And only to warrant it 1.5 years is because they know its sheett and wont hang themselves out longer then that.
You cannot look at stainless steel and see what type it is. There are MANY types of SS.

Reactions: m0b00st
1 - 20 of 34 Posts