Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking ahead on my Chief Vinatge which is on order... I really would like to have the War Bonnet logo on the tank. I'm assuming that a Chieftain tank from the parts dept. could be ordered later on then installed at the dealer down the road. Or would it be more cost effective to have the badge removed, a decal added to the stock tank , and then clear shot over it? Anyone have an idea how much a Victory gas tank costs just for reference?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For the kind of money a new tank would cost I'd hire a painter to airbrush your tank. A good artist will make it look way better than the decal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would agree with Iabob.... There is a man in northern Illinois you should contact. You will find his name on a number of cars and bikes at the car shows. Top notch traditional brush work.

Brando
www.brandoart.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking the same thing for my red Vintage.
My guess is the tank logo is easily removed.
It's possible the tanks are different because
of the different wheelbases.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or....check out the Zambini Bros. website (the motorcycle-related site, not the puppeteers). They have Indian headdress tank emblems. I have one on my Suzuki Volusia (I have the headdress without the Indian script, though the script is available). They look great! Much cheaper than hiriing someone to paint your bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was qouted $1600.00 for a 2010 Cross Country Tank. I asked the dealer if it included vasoline?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, it's impossible. No way, Jay. Not allowed. Verboten. In fact, it may be dangerous. It might. . . oh go ahead.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
18680 said:
I was thinking the same thing for my red Vintage.
My guess is the tank logo is easily removed.
It's possible the tanks are different because
of the different wheelbases.
Tanks are the same, wheelbase doesn't affect size. I have been advised that dealers will only sell parts appropriate to the bike owned!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
19936 said:
I just took my stock tank off that has the war bonnet, i like the indian text better.

Nice. I like the Warbonnet logo too, but I noticed that the warbonnet's gold while the silver script matches the chrome of the bike better. Nice move, you've instantly personalised your Chieftan.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the factory and dealers should give the buyer the choice of getting the warbonnet or script when they order the bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As recommended in an earlier post, I did check out: http://www.zambinibrosmfa.com . Really sharp looking 3-D logos. All I need to figure out now is how to get the existing logo off of my Chieftan. I don't know why Polaris didn't go with a high quality logo like this in the first place.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
6269 said:
As recommended in an earlier post, I did check out: http://www.zambinibrosmfa.com . Really sharp looking 3-D logos. All I need to figure out now is how to get the existing logo off of my Chieftan. I don't know why Polaris didn't go with a high quality logo like this in the first place.
Haven't seen the original decal in person yet, but if they are flat and these are attached with 3m you may be able to just cover the originals without damaging them. Depends whether these are smaller or same size/larger than original. They do look pretty cool.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's under the clear coat. It isn't as simple as removing at sticker. I just waxed mine up this weekend and I noticed you cannot feel where the logo starts. It's smooth.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
6269 said:
The Chief/Warbonnet decal is part of Indian's heritage going back to the Chief's of the 1930's. I'm sure they felt compelled to use it on at least one of the three new models...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am picking up a new classic today that has the chieftain tank. A buyer of a chieftain wanted the classic tank so the dealer switched them, so I will have a classic bike with a chieftain tank. This one is springfield blue

The Chief/Warbonnet decal is part of Indian's heritage going back to the Chief's of the 1930's. I'm sure they felt compelled to use it on at least one of the three new models...[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
23 Posts
As recommended in an earlier post, I did check out: Zambinibros Motorcycle Finishes and Art for V-Twins . Really sharp looking 3-D logos. All I need to figure out now is how to get the existing logo off of my Chieftan. I don't know why Polaris didn't go with a high quality logo like this in the first place.
Just checked their site and all the Indian badging is no longer for sale.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,115 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts