Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I'm riding home in stop and go traffic, and I notice in the reflection of the truck in front of me, no war bonnet light. I looked this up in the forums here and can only find 1 thread on it. Has anyone else had theirs to go out, and if so was it the LED or was it the wiring. Will the dealer cover this under warranty?

I know it's only a light, but it's the war bonnet light for the Indian and it's supposed to be lit for everyone to see.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
It may have run out of photons,,,, check underneath the mudguard for leaks.

·
Super Moderator
4,834 Posts
So today I'm riding home in stop and go traffic, and I notice in the reflection of the truck in front of me, no war bonnet light. I looked this up in the forums here and can only find 1 thread on it. Has anyone else had theirs to go out, and if so was it the LED or was it the wiring. Will the dealer cover this under warranty?

I know it's only a light, but it's the war bonnet light for the Indian and it's supposed to be lit for everyone to see.
I typed in fender light and came up with a few threads.

replacement led bulb part number for the front fender war bonnet | Indian Motorcycle Forum

·
Rider
486 Posts
Mine did the same thing. What I found out was, when turning the bars all the way to the left, the triple tree was pinching both the clutch cable and the wire for the fender light. In fact, the fender light wire was broken where it pinching was. Had to splice in about 4" of new wire. Then I turned the clutch cable clamp on the frame, clockwise to raise the clutch cable AND the fender light wire up a little bit. Now, when turning the bars all the way to the left (to lock the front end ) the triple tree no longer hits the cable or wire>

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turns out the wiring is fed through the fender, then held in place against the fender walls by a cap with a loop pushed onto a stud. The cap came off and the tire rubbed through the wire.
Dealer fixed it under warranty

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
There is at least one other thread that shows some war bonnets have extreme corrosion which could cause the light to short.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,731 Posts
Has anyone changed the color of their light? I keep thinking red would look good.
Howard Hegwer Designs. Easy to do and looks great. I have ridden all over the Southeast with mine and have never even been asked about it by law enforcement, despite everyone's dire predictions.
image.jpeg
Here's the thread on it;
Fender War Bonnet Light Discoloration

1 - 16 of 16 Posts