Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently purchased a 2014 chieftain and love it. Was wanting to know about a backrest though as mine didn't come with one. I have checked local Indian dealer as well as many different places online for one and have found many in all price ranges. My question is, will a backrest from a chief or chief classic fit my chieftain?

Edit: I am wanting to know about passenger backrest.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,607 Posts
Just remember that there are two items to order for the backrest. The backrest itself and the supporting bracket that mounts under the seat. Dean

Reactions: Moto_Max

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
and don't short out the VCM when you move it to install by dropping it on your battery terminal. Wrap it in a rag or disconnect your battery.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Take very careful note of MotoMax's comment. The metal box of the VCM does not play well with anything. I have a cardboard box that I slip over mine any time I'm doing something like this.

The other thing to be aware of is that the back rest bracket gets in the way of a main loom bundle. You have to move it aside a bit and it's a close fit. The bracket comes with one less bolt than it looks like it needs. One bolt is already holding something on the bike.

You can get a cheaper lookalike back rest from ebay and it's fine. All it's missing is the Indian logo on the leather on the rear. I bought one of these used from another forum member and it's given good service to us both for years.

There's also an aftermarket one called Grasshopper. It does not have the bracket but mounts to the seat itself. There are people on the forum who say good things about them. I don't think it has the screw for fore/aft tilt adjustment.

·
Registered
150 Posts
As others have pretty much covered the riders backrest, I’ll play the flip side since you just said backrest and didn’t specify rider or passenger. A passenger backrest for a chief/classic/vintage from any year before 2019 won’t work for a chieftain as the spools for the bags/backrest are larger size on the hard bag models.
So whichever backrest ya meant it’s all covered now. Haha

·
Bronze member
1,772 Posts
Recently purchased a 2014 chieftain and love it. Was wanting to know about a backrest though as mine didn't come with one. I have checked local Indian dealer as well as many different places online for one and have found many in all price ranges. My question is, will a backrest from a chief or chief classic fit my chieftain?
Drivers backrest or passenger backrest?

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Passenger
Disregard anything I said previously. As it does not pertain to the passenger backrest.

As others have pretty much covered the riders backrest, I’ll play the flip side since you just said backrest and didn’t specify rider or passenger. A passenger backrest for a chief/classic/vintage from any year before 2019 won’t work for a chieftain as the spools for the bags/backrest are larger size on the hard bag models.
So whichever backrest ya meant it’s all covered now. Haha
^^^ This is the information you seek.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts