Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fell in love with the Indian motorcycle and have just sold my Yamaha in order to purchase an Indian. I am looking for a Indian Scout pre Polaris as I think most bikes have to much plastic on them now.
Will travel to buy the bike in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I have fell in love with the Indian motorcycle and have just sold my Yamaha in order to purchase an Indian. I am looking for a Indian Scout pre Polaris as I think most bikes have to much plastic on them now.
There's a 2002 Scout for sale at Cycle Central in Loveland, CO. Only has 1800 miles.

Cycle Central: Motorcycles for Sale in Loveland, CO

·
Registered
90 Posts
You may want to give that some more thought...

The new Scout appears to have no plastic outside of grips, footpeg rubbers etc. Even the seat is leather! Unless the fenders are plastic..which would surprise me. I could be wrong. I have ordered one but have not seen one 'in the flesh'..

With all due respect to owners of the Gilroy era machines, you may be better off with a Harley of that vintage. If you do not live in the US, replacement parts and repairs may be difficult and expensive unless you're a good wrench. The Gilroy Indians started out as HD clones. Bikes built with aftermarket HD parts and Indian branding. Later the 'Powerplus' motor came out but it is still based on an older EVO design. There were not that many produced. If the appeal is a large displacement air-cooled V-twin in a softail style frame, the HD Twin Cams are a lot more plentiful, easier to find parts for and are a more advanced design.

At its introductory price point, the new Scout would be a far better bet if you want an Indian. Just my $.02 YMMV

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The new Scout appears to have no plastic outside of grips, footpeg rubbers etc. Even the seat is leather! Unless the fenders are plastic..which would surprise me. I could be wrong. I have ordered one but have not seen one 'in the flesh'..

With all due respect to owners of the Gilroy era machines, you may be better off with a Harley of that vintage. If you do not live in the US, replacement parts and repairs may be difficult and expensive unless you're a good wrench. The Gilroy Indians started out as HD clones. Bikes built with aftermarket HD parts and Indian branding. Later the 'Powerplus' motor came out but it is still based on an older EVO design. There were not that many produced. If the appeal is a large displacement air-cooled V-twin in a softail style frame, the HD Twin Cams are a lot more plentiful, easier to find parts for and are a more advanced design.

At its introductory price point, the new Scout would be a far better bet if you want an Indian. Just my $.02 YMMV
Thank you for your input. My dealership is having a scout come in next Saturday which I will go see. I like the ride of a bike not always friendly even rough at times. I was looking at the Chief and it has oxygen sensors on the pipes and does not give me that raw engine and tire to the road feel. I am a backwoods rider not a distance highway rider.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Barnett Indian in El Paso has a 2001 Gilroy Scout with 7400 miles, it's Indian red and they are asking $6995.00. Call (915) 629-7289 and ask for Ed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you every one I just found a 2003 Gilroy Scout with 4100 miles for $5700.00. Welcome me to the Indian family.

G

·

I have a 2001 Indian Spirit of America with the 88 motor and it's bullet proof and a HEAD TURNER. I'd rather own an Indian then a clone Harley.....just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a 2001 Indian Spirit of America with the 88 motor and it's bullet proof and a HEAD TURNER. I'd rather own an Indian then a clone Harley.....just my $.02 worth.
Your post had some age on it when I found it - you may not be on the forum anymore, you may not have your Spirit anymore but if you're around I'd like to see your pics.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Huh ? Thats the Harley 'Indian' that you have................sure you got this right? The new ones are far from being a clone to any HD. Gilroys, CMC's, are the clones.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Although I do think the bottle cap valve covers on the Kings Mountain bikes are very cool looking. That is not a bad engine either. Gilroy 88's are still making miles out there..................

1 - 12 of 12 Posts