Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting the base model Challenger. Was wondering if the plastic behind the windshield is sturdy enough to hold a GPS with mount.

This is the type mount I was thinking of:

It requires 4 screws and small bolts. So I know I will have to drill 4 holes probably 5 with the cable.

I really like the Garmin Zumo xt GPS and I already have it with all my routes loaded and because I took the time to learn BaseCamp it is now easy to make new routes on my computer and download them directly to the unit. So I am not interested in upgrading to the Indian unit. Unfortunately there does not look to be any convenient way to mount it in the place where I want it. I have seen an L shaped bar that can be attached to the mirror mount that might get it in a reasonable position but if the plastic is strong enough I would prefer it to be low on top of the cowl center of the windshield.
mgg

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,230 Posts
That plastic piece is held on by velcro and 2 friction clips. If you go to the garage door opener installation instructions it shows how it comes off. It's fairly easy to remove and has to be to re-program the garage door opener. That being said, the downward force will push against the velcro and the back side may be able to be reenforced. There should be little wind load at that location. It'd be interesting to try.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That plastic piece is held on by velcro and 2 friction clips. If you go to the garage door opener installation instructions it shows how it comes off. It's fairly easy to remove and has to be to re-program the garage door opener. That being said, the downward force will push against the velcro and the back side may be able to be reinforced. There should be little wind load at that location. It'd be interesting to try.
Thanks for that information. I will ask the dealer on my test ride to show me how to open that area and make a determination. I can certainly beef up the back side of the plastic with a metal plate if there is room.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone, here is my solution for mounting the navigator, I have mounted the BMW navigator 6 that I use on my Bmw GS 1250, and the position is perfect,
DSC_2373.JPG
DSC_2374.JPG
DSC_2375.JPG
so I show you the photos. I connected the holder directly to the battery
Greetings from Italy

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello everyone, here is my solution for mounting the navigator, I have mounted the BMW navigator 6 that I use on my Bmw GS 1250, and the position is perfect, View attachment 601079 View attachment 601080 View attachment 601081 so I show you the photos. I connected the holder directly to the battery
Greetings from Italy
That is perfect! And what I thought. Exactly how I will mount mine if I get the Challenger. Took it for a long test ride today and am very impressed. it's not perfect but it is a wonderful bike. It does not maneuver quite as well as my Scout but it maneuvers much better than you would expect a bike this big to maneuver. I think it got hotter than my Scout when sitting at stop lights. (The engine temperature is about the same.) However there is more engine to project that heat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts