Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Would you consider this bike if price was right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are apparently being made as we speak. Must be for European sales as they are still made with a single carb and EPA would be the hurdle. At any rate............lots of colors, air cooled 4 cylinder and not real bad looking but a little dated here and there. Thoughts?

Indian Dakota 4

Attachments

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
Ummmmm, looks like it was posted 16 years ago?

Specification and prices subject to change without notice.
© 2000 Indian Motorcycle Ltd.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They still make them...............built individually. They must have got around copyright laws being over in the UK

·
Founding member
1,757 Posts
Its neat, but I'm wondering how these are legal, with Polaris known to be litigious with the Indian name and brand and presumably having rights to it in the UK as Polaris Indians are sold there.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
Doesn't pass the sniff test for me.

·
Founding member
1,757 Posts
I see a lot of talk here from people who want Indian to make a 4 cylinder, presumably mounted like the vintage Indian fours as opposed to most modern 4 cylinder motorcycles. Am I the only one indifferent to this configuration?

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look at the brakes here. Its in a niche market to avoid lawsuits on the name, ect. Of course Polaris has better stuff on any of their drawing boards.

Last year I saw two execs from Polaris on vacation with their wives here in Sedona. I talked to them as we all had on Indian shirts and you know how that goes. The 4 cylinder question came up after a few drinks and later on. They both said no 4 cylinder is even a dream there. They are worried mainly about EPA regs that kick in in 2020 that will cripple most air cooled engines. Now Polaris keeps things secret, yeah I know, but no 4 bangers coming. Might be way way down the road and water cooled............sometime, maybe........but now for awhile. So they say. I am just the messenger here.

Attachments

·
Bronze member
1,152 Posts
The inline 4 Indian made was a exercise in excess and was off the path. I like V-Twins best and think that a 4 lung Indian would be a behemoth. As for the collection of old inline 4 Indian's all very cool.

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
Look at the brakes here. Its in a niche market to avoid lawsuits on the name, ect. Of course Polaris has better stuff on any of their drawing boards.

Last year I saw two execs from Polaris on vacation with their wives here in Sedona. I talked to them as we all had on Indian shirts and you know how that goes. The 4 cylinder question came up after a few drinks and later on. They both said no 4 cylinder is even a dream there. They are worried mainly about EPA regs that kick in in 2020 that will cripple most air cooled engines. Now Polaris keeps things secret, yeah I know, but no 4 bangers coming. Might be way way down the road and water cooled............sometime, maybe........but now for awhile. So they say. I am just the messenger here.

That's too bad, it would have been nice to see. Very cool you had the opportunity to talk to them about it though.

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
I'm sure Polaris has a better designed 4 cylinder motor on the drawing boards.
They both said no 4 cylinder is even a dream there. They are worried mainly about EPA regs that kick in in 2020 that will cripple most air cooled engines.
I couldn't imagine an inline air cooled 4.....but a water cooled I-4 is doable!!

·
Bronze member
2,595 Posts
I think the four cylinder Indian was built by a guy in Scotland, I will see if I can fined more info on them.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,160 Posts
I'm sure Polaris has a better designed 4 cylinder motor on the drawing boards.
They might have something on the drawing board but anything like that would be a long ways off if they every build it. First of all, the engine with any size to it would likely cook the #2 and #3 cylinders if it was air cooled. Water cooled would be doable. Second, Polaris has a fortune invested in the bikes they have out right now. It will take a few years down the road before they even look at breaking even. Dean

1 - 17 of 17 Posts