Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
NIce find Ray! Just more of an indication that Indian (Polaris) is going to kick butt! Damn, I just gotta buy me some Polaris stock :cool:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Wow, that is some good reading, thanks for sharing that. I'm so hungry for my Scout!

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
Great article. When the Wall Street Journal, a publication that, as far as I know, doesn't regularly report on motorcycle industry news, has an article devoted to your new bike you know its a big deal.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,052 Posts
This guy has something against bikes! He mentioned death on motorcycles a few too many times in that article.
Thanks, a very enjoyable article and good photos.

As for "death on motorcycles", well, I've known many, many riders who gave it up, at least for a time, when they had to provide for a family. I sympathize with what the author is going through, for motorcycles can get a grip on your soul that can be very difficult to walk away from.

And, lets be honest, motorcycles are dangerous. The least little lapse of attention or spot of bad luck, say, an unexpected patch of gravel, can have dire consequences. Its actually part of the allure, the adrenalin-spiked, here-now, in-the moment focus of riding the knife's edge. I never try to talk folks into riding motorcycles; you have to want it.

If you're prepared to accept that level of risk, then the new Scout, as the author observed, looks like it'd be an excellent machine for a new rider, or, a returning rider, many of whom, their families now grown, are coming back to the be-loved sport that they regretfully gave up so many years ago. I liked his idea of a "customer-survival machine".
--- Randall

·
Registered
468 Posts
"Now, in the big-picture cruiser segment—including European-, Japanese- and American-style cruisers, middleweight and heavyweight—the bike to beat is the Ducati Diavel, which I wrote about in 2011. But the lightning-fast Duc is $21,000 with the carbon trim. It is also not what I’d call a beginner’s bike, unless it’s the beginning of the end."

Interesting he should bring up the Diavel.
My comparo cylinders were rippin' up the road with that bike in my Custom Scout Thread.
There I was attempting to point out that the Scout appeared to be coming from the opposite
direction of the Diavel. A case of Cruiser meets Super Bike and Super Bike meets Cruiser.
From two opposite price points.
Both bikes.... are absolute masterpieces in their respective fields so far as new bikes are
concerned.

That bit about soul gripping can be found in a lot of areas, too.
For some, it's motorcycles, for others, it's flying, or auto racing, or some non-motorsports
oriented sports.
A squillion ways to get hurt.

People get killed on bicycles and walkin' across the street. A squillion ways to die.
A Motorcycle is just one way to go.

Bikes are dangerous. So is everything else.
I mean, who would have thought that quail hunting could land you
a good pepperin'? Or drowin' in your own vomit?

I think of Dale Earnhardt. You know, it's hard to imagine the man
being killed from that specific crash opposed to multi-rollovers.
Very sobering.

The best anyone can hope for is to die in their sleep.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it were to be easy we'd have an expiration date stamped on the bottom of our foot. I don't so I'm going to roll the dice. My grandkids may have to say "Dang, grandpa went out with a bang. No sitting on the porch for him. What was he thinking?"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts