Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just created my account. Next week Indian is bringing the demo truck to my town I was planning on taking some test rides and probably buying a new Springfield DH assuming everything goes well on the demo. Now today with the release of the new Springfields with 116, New bags, mini apes, and the new seat I am thinking of waiting until next spring unless they make the remaining 2019s too cheap to pass up.

So my question is, how low would the discount on a 2019 have to be to get me to pull the trigger on what is now a late model bike....

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
The comparisons are getting a bit more murky with changes in the base engine although still badged a 116, not the same package any longer.
On discount pricing, you may need to wait for the winter doldrums to set in. I would think $4,000 would be a decent target discount... can the dealers still make it at that rate? :eek:
I don't know what incentives Polaris may have for the dealers to sell of the older bikes, but there should be some lee-way for certain.

·
Silver member
4,812 Posts
I think you will be able to side by side compare them long before next Spring. Once they announce them they usually start rolling into the dealers right away...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,081 Posts
Assuming you want the 116, figure out how much it would cost to upgrade the 2019 to the 116. Add that to the base cost of the 2019. Compare that to the cost of the 2020 116. Then figure out how much the inconvenience of having to get the upgrade installed. Then add on how much a of break you'd get from buying a leftover model year.

A 2020 111 Springfield is listed for $20,999 US MSRP
A 2020 116 Springfield Dark Horse is listed for $22,499 MSRP

A 2019 111 Springfield is listed for $20,999 US MSRP
A 2019 111 Springfield Dark Horse is listed for $21,999 MSRP

The Stage 3 Performance Package - Black lists for $4,279.96 in the build your own area. That would put a similar equipped 2019 at an MSRP of $26,278.96

So the difference between the MSRP would be $3,779.96. So if you pay $18K you end up getting a 2019 bike for basically the same price as you would pay to get a 2020 bike with the same features.

I personally would expect at least another $1K to $2K off of that so I would be thinking closer to $16K. so around $5k discount.

If I couldn't get it for that cost then I would pass. Now you MIGHT stand a better chance of getting that much of a discount if you also agree to pay for the Stage III upgrade at the time of purchase.

·
Bronze member
3,650 Posts
Assuming you want the 116, figure out how much it would cost to upgrade the 2019 to the 116. Add that to the base cost of the 2019. Compare that to the cost of the 2020 116. Then figure out how much the inconvenience of having to get the upgrade installed. Then add on how much a of break you'd get from buying a leftover model year.

A 2020 111 Springfield is listed for $20,999 US MSRP
A 2020 116 Springfield Dark Horse is listed for $22,499 MSRP

A 2019 111 Springfield is listed for $20,999 US MSRP
A 2019 111 Springfield Dark Horse is listed for $21,999 MSRP

The Stage 3 Performance Package - Black lists for $4,279.96 in the build your own area. That would put a similar equipped 2019 at an MSRP of $26,278.96

So the difference between the MSRP would be $3,779.96. So if you pay $18K you end up getting a 2019 bike for basically the same price as you would pay to get a 2020 bike with the same features.

I personally would expect at least another $1K to $2K off of that so I would be thinking closer to $16K. so around $5k discount.

If I couldn't get it for that cost then I would pass. Now you MIGHT stand a better chance of getting that much of a discount if you also agree to pay for the Stage III upgrade at the time of purchase.

Keep in mind the stock 116 does not have the intake, exhaust and cams like the BBK kit does. So you would have to upgrade the 2020 116 to stage 2 (cams, throttle body, injectors) and intake and exhaust Stage 1 to be the same as a 116 BBK install.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just created my account. Next week Indian is bringing the demo truck to my town I was planning on taking some test rides and probably buying a new Springfield DH assuming everything goes well on the demo. Now today with the release of the new Springfields with 116, New bags, mini apes, and the new seat I am thinking of waiting until next spring unless they make the remaining 2019s too cheap to pass up.

So my question is, how low would the discount on a 2019 have to be to get me to pull the trigger on what is now a late model bike....
I'm dealing with the same issue. But in Austin, we're losing our dealership effective 9-30-19, and they sent out an e-mail today confirming that but also stating deals can be had on their current inventory. If they knock 4-5k off their remaining CDH's, I may take the plunge.

·
Bronze member
3,049 Posts
well my dealer discounts Springfields to 18K on the yearly discounts... but now you are really not comparing apples to apples... how bad do you want a 116? lots and lots of people on this forum say it isn't worth the money for the performance upgrade you get... read and make up your own mind... I did and I still have a 111... now the price quoted for a 116 is just that, NO labor from the dealer for the install.. but the silver lining is read on the thread about discounts and there seems to be quite a few dealers throwing in the 116 kit (most think you still pay the labor for install).. but back to the 2020 Baron58 is right about the stock vs. build performance... now if you are into performance you want the 2020 then put the stage II in it... the 2020's have better flowing heads (a redesign) and with the 2020 kit you get bigger fuel injectors.. so theoretically it should produce more performance out of the gate.. if money is a concern get a 19 and leave it as a 111 they are plenty strong enough... if on the other hand it isn't.. go with the 2020 and build your bike..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If they knock 4-5k off their remaining CDH's, I may take the plunge.
I think if they took 4-5K off it would be enough to sway me, personally I don't know if I care about the 116 over the 111 I am upgrading from a Vulcan 900, I do like the new bags over the round top versions.

·
Registered
232 Posts
So some have mentioned potential heat issues of the 2020 stock 116 vs. stock 111. Any thoughts on that?

·
Bronze member
3,049 Posts
can't tell you I don't have issues on my 111 anymore than I had with any other V-Twin sitting between my legs

·
5,081 Posts
Keep in mind the stock 116 does not have the intake, exhaust and cams like the BBK kit does. So you would have to upgrade the 2020 116 to stage 2 (cams, throttle body, injectors) and intake and exhaust Stage 1 to be the same as a 116 BBK install.
Good point but not correct. According to the website hte 116 kit includes Stage 1 but not Stage 2. Upgrading the 2020 Dark Horse to a match the 2019 with a BBK would add another $1,424.97

Here is what the 2019 BBK includes:

upload_2019-9-10_19-31-11.png

Adding the Stage 1 kit to the 2020 Springfield Dark horse takes the price up to $23,924

So the difference is $2,354.96‬. I'd still expect at least a $4K discount.

·
Silver member
4,812 Posts
It all nonsense. My 2017 TS 111, Stage one pipes, High flow air cleaner, and a simple PVCX tune runs like a bandit. It is all what you want, but I am not about ripping it off the line, but about 3,4,5, and 6 whipping ass on the freeway and giving me the torque I want. I ride mine at 100 mph daily for about 18 mile on two different freeways and it is all I need or could want.

So don't discount that puny little 111, ;)

We all get too caught up in the horsepower wars. Shoot, I remember in the late 90s when we all were like, "I am getting 55 Hp, and 65 ft lbs of torque and we thought we had a monster bike, LOL...

Reactions: NDrider

·
Rider
737 Posts
It all nonsense. My 2017 TS 111, Stage one pipes, High flow air cleaner, and a simple PVCX tune runs like a bandit. It is all what you want, but I am not about ripping it off the line, but about 3,4,5, and 6 whipping ass on the freeway and giving me the torque I want. I ride mine at 100 mph daily for about 18 mile on two different freeways and it is all I need or could want.

So don't discount that puny little 111, ;)

We all get too caught up in the horsepower wars. Shoot, I remember in the late 90s when we all were like, "I am getting 55 Hp, and 65 ft lbs of torque and we thought we had a monster bike, LOL...
+1 to all that^^^^

I also remember my first time around owning bikes in the late 70s early 80s when 750cc was a big bike ... here in Oz anyway.

Ha!!

·
Bronze member
3,049 Posts
here in the states too.. for most people.. I had a 1979 Gold Wing with a 1000cc motor and I thought I was king shit...

·
Registered
252 Posts
I’ll bet come January and February you’d find a smoking deal on a 2019 model. It might not be in your area but the deals are out there. I drove 1000 miles round trip with truck and trailer to get my new Springfield but saved 4K by doing so.

·
5,081 Posts

Maybe seeing this deal will get a better price

BigBoreDeal.png

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Soooooo, what did you find out?
I found out they are in no hurry to clear the 2019's, they gave me a quote that wasn't much differnt than MSRP, so I locked all my money away in TBILLS that mature next spring and if they still have any 2019's will try again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts