Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
Because my wife cut my new bike fund so I cannot afford a Challenger anymore. Scout might be the only Indian way to go for me (I just not prefer the FTR).

I have been riding Vulcan 800 Classic for more than 10 years and have been on several trips (well, no more than 400 miles a day). And I feel like I want another more powerful bike. I have an eye on indian since 2014, yes, 2014. As a newly college grad, I work so hard to earn some bucks. Finally, scout is within my reach.

However, since scout is pretty small and I always ride 2-up on the vulcan with my wife, I am a bit worried about comfort. I am 176 lbs 5'9", my wife is 99 lbs 5'3". We rented a 2018 Chieftain Limited for a trip around Massachusetts before, yes it was comfy.

Anybody has some experience on both bike (Vulcan 800 and scout) please share about the comfy on Scout compared to the Vulcan when taking a long ride about 350 miles. I don't expect it to be as comfy as those Indian's heavyweight, but if it is better, it's gonna be worthy moving to Scout.

Thanks in advance! ?

·
Bronze member
2,691 Posts
Well.. I have a '16 Scout with the 2-up Touring package..

With its' stock suspension and with my 235 lbs on the bike, I have to be careful around town on "bad" roads. It can "bottom out" and hurt my back if I am not careful.. With two 111's sitting next to the Scout, 2-up'ing on the Scout never happens. Newer Scouts have better suspenders.

Like your Vulcan, it gets "blown around" a little more on the freeway, compared to the heavyweights..

A Scout weighs the same but has waay more HP than your Vulcan. ( some specs indicate the Vulcan 800 @ 42 hp, others show it as high as 56hp - the Scout is 100hp, and low/mid 80's at the rear wheel..)

You and the lady are gonna have to ride the Vulcan up to the dealership - from the dealership, pick out a route to ride (include some "bumpy" roads), ride it, then do the same route on a Scout. Then you'll know what you don't know..

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hello everybody,
Because my wife cut my new bike fund so I cannot afford a Challenger anymore. Scout might be the only Indian way to go for me (I just not prefer the FTR).

I have been riding Vulcan 800 Classic for more than 10 years and have been on several trips (well, no more than 400 miles a day). And I feel like I want another more powerful bike. I have an eye on indian since 2014, yes, 2014. As a newly college grad, I work so hard to earn some bucks. Finally, scout is within my reach.

However, since scout is pretty small and I always ride 2-up on the vulcan with my wife, I am a bit worried about comfort. I am 176 lbs 5'9", my wife is 99 lbs 5'3". We rented a 2018 Chieftain Limited for a trip around Massachusetts before, yes it was comfy.

Anybody has some experience on both bike (Vulcan 800 and scout) please share about the comfy on Scout compared to the Vulcan when taking a long ride about 350 miles. I don't expect it to be as comfy as those Indian's heavyweight, but if it is better, it's gonna be worthy moving to Scout.

Thanks in advance!
I’ve ridden both.

With your weight you will have no problem with power - my daughter is heavier, and we can do all day rides, mostly 2 lane.

That said, I suspect it will be hard for you to be comfy on a smaller bike.

If you are ready to accept the compromises, yes, you can do it, and it will be pretty fun! But going 85 on an interstate all day isn’t. Doing the same for short time-saving legs is very much so.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,094 Posts
I had a 2015 Chieftain before this 2019 Scout and if it weren't for the aging process weakening my legs & lower back I would've kept it. For long distance riding it was far superior. That being said the Scout is a fine bike in it's own right. Just be prepared for the compromises that go with it. I had to make several modifications in order to get an acceptable level of comfort. I had to go with the extended reach foot controls and floorboards for my 32 inch inseam legs and size 11 feet. I had to go with the 10 inch mini ape handlebars in order to straighten my back posture. I added a windshield to eliminate wind blast and bugs in the face as well as a Corbin solo seat to make my butt more comfortable. After all the money spent on mods it still isn't quite as comfy as that Chieftain was but it's much easier for me to back up and handle at low speeds. In my case it's what I needed to do in order to stay riding on two wheels and I can live with what little compromises are left.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for all inputs. @Triumph900 I don't think my wife would allow me to sue her on that. I might have to find the other way, LOL.

Speaking about compromises, what should I do to reduce shaking at high speed? To increase comfort, new after market seat and suspension should be good (hopefully). Is windshield help a lot on scout?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Thank you so much for all inputs. @Triumph900 I don't think my wife would allow me to sue her on that. I might have to find the other way, LOL.

Speaking about compromises, what should I do to reduce shaking at high speed? To increase comfort, new after market seat and suspension should be good (hopefully). Is windshield help a lot on scout?
Shaking? Hmm... I’ve never gotten any. 90 and smooth as butter.

There is occasionally a little jitter in the wheel, but not in the handlebars or seat. I’ve read redoing the front springs helps quite a bit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Guessing your wife would be much more comfortable riding pillion on the Challenger than the Scout...that may be an angle to work!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I owned the 800 classic quite a few years ago . I loved that bike. It was a great trouble free bike that for 800cc , had really good power. It was comfy and easy to control. Don't know about road trips but around town and country roads , it was a blast.

That being said , the scout has way more power. Its still , in my opinion, better suited for around town and country roads , but it is similar in control and comfort. It feels much lighter than the weight suggests. So if more power is what you are after , it's hard to beat the scout.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,094 Posts
Initial cost sounds like a major consideration to you. If you're looking to buy new a Scout represents a lot of bang for the buck. Finding a left-over 2019 would get you the most for your money. Now if buying used was worthy of your you and your significant other's attention a later model low mileage full size Indian would be an excellent choice. For not much more than that 2019 Scout you could have a nice ride for going distances two-up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts