Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I had Kyle dyno my 2015 Chieftain while he was in Austin this July. I have the Indian Big Sucker AC, Kyle told me that my Chieftain could have gotten better results from the tune if I had a good "goose neck" type AC instead of the Indian Big Sucker AC.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
128 Posts
John, did KMC do the exhaust, AC, and cam install? What kind of cost for it all?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Very nice numbers! I have a laundry list of mods to my Springfield ongoing, and when I finally get it to a Dyno I will not be concerned at all about "peak" numbers. I will instead look at how much it is making and for how long it makes it. The flatter the better!

Think of an audio amplifier...high-end equipment like Harman-Kardon or Marantz will give you an RMS number. Let's say that number is 100 WPC. The quality stuff can do 100 WPC all day long and with minimum distortion. Just next to these are brands of lesser quality which tout "175 WPC!" Yeah...this is peak, and it is most likely dirty and crappy.

Peak numbers are for marketing hype and suckers...concentrate on all that white area between your stock curves and new curves on the graph. Add up this area...it's what should have you smiling.

This game has not changed and never will...and it's why you can sometimes blow right by folks with higher "peak" numbers their well-paid dyno guy gave them:)

·
Bronze member
2,177 Posts
Wow ... thats a Venom Plenum Intake from VicBaggers.
Wondering if Kyle put their 60mm throttle body on too ...

The numbers are GREAT (and KMC is very reputable!). Most interesting is this flat AFR 13 curve ... yessss :D

Is there a stage II flash(plus PCV) in place? or only a PCV?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John, did KMC do the exhaust, AC, and cam install? What kind of cost for it all?
The cams were already done. They did the rest, which is PCV,exhaust, intake and throttle body. It is as about $2000.
Wow ... thats a Venom Plenum Intake from VicBaggers.
Wondering if Kyle put their 60mm throttle body on too ...

The numbers are GREAT (and KMC is very reputable!). Most interesting is this flat AFR 13 curve ... yessss :D

Is there a stage II flash(plus PCV) in place? or only a PCV?
It was suppose to have a stg II flash, but Kyle said it was runing very lean, he installed the PCV and tuned it. He did say this was the strongest one he has done. 2 days before he did the same kit and it got 98hp and 127tq.

look at the curve and one can tell this is a low rpm monster. Same curve as before, but just more of it. It previously made 85hp and 110tq. There's a hole lot more to this combo that just peak numbers.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The cams were already done. They did the rest, which is PCV,exhaust, intake and throttle body. It is as about $2000.

It was suppose to have a stg II flash, but Kyle said it was runing very lean, he installed the PCV and tuned it. He did say this was the strongest one he has done. 2 days before he did the same kit and it got 98hp and 127tq.

look at the curve and one can tell this is a low rpm monster. Same curve as before, but just more of it. It previously made 85hp and 110tq. There's a hole lot more to this combo that just peak numbers.
Probably could have been clearer...I agree! Great looking curves:)

Reactions: Johnwesley

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have put 1500 miles on the bike since the tune and love it. It pulls strong at all rpms and is a hoss above 3,000. Where the factory stg2 would fall off sharply at 4,000 this is still pulling strong. There was three of us for riding home together with three different state of tunes. One completely stock, one factory stg II with Vic baggers intake, and the other in full tune as seen in the dyno sheet. The stock bike got the worst milage, then Vic stgII was the best, and the KMC tune came in the middle. They were all with in 2-3 tenths of a gallon at fill up. With the biggest difference coming from 85 mph on the interstate where the KMC tuned bike run best and was most efficient.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great numbers!! I have the same exact combination maybe with the exception of the exhaust.( I'm running Lloyd's slipons) and it's impressive. I made a mistake by putting in amsoil full synthetic in before I had Kyle put cams in and tune it. Slipping in 6th gear and was still making big touque numbers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great numbers!! I have the same exact combination maybe with the exception of the exhaust.( I'm running Lloyd's slipons) and it's impressive. I made a mistake by putting in amsoil full synthetic in before I had Kyle put cams in and tune it. Slipping in 6th gear and was still making big touque numbers.

Thanks, I have Lloyd's slip ons as well. Baffle removed.

·
Bronze member
2,177 Posts
John,

do you remember how during the Dyno runs the O2 wideband probe was positioned?
tapped rear cylinder header pipe?
or probe pushed through the right rear muffler?
Do you still have your catalyst converter in.place?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
949 Posts
I don't know why the gooseneck intake design would net any more power. Only being able to take a slight change in ambient temperature air more to the front cylinder than between the two...

1 - 20 of 182 Posts