Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

It has been just 1 month since I became the owner of a new 2018 Roadmaster. I have done few things to her (Asside from putting 1900 iles on the clock)

First thing I did was install a Joe Florida light kit. I realy feel this is a safety feature that can save your butt.
As stated before the cool colors are nice BUT when you hit the brake the whole biike glows red. I am sure some cagers will still not see it but I think it improves your odds much better than any "loud pipes" may.

The next thing was a set of Vance Hein turn down tip slip-ons. I picked them up here on the calsafieds gently used. A definite improvement in sound and looks IMHO.

Then I got a Buffalo Air horn. Great piece of gear. Super well made and looks like it truly belongs on the bike and isnt just scabbed on.

The horn cover is a 4 ounce copper coin that I got off e-bay.

THEN the good folks at Fuel Moto were nice enough to have some black friday cyber sales going on so I picked up a PCVX and a Voodoo air filter.

The bike now sounds great and runns better. The throttle responce is MUCH quicker and it pulls much harder when rolling on the throttle on the highway. Before if I was tooling along at 75 MPH in 6th and I wanted to pass a line of cars I would downshift into 5th and open up the throttle. Now I just roll it open and it pulls up to 90 easily at 3400 RMP.

I still have the stock headers with the cats in. I have had no issues. If I get the dreaded heat issues when the New Mexico weather returns to summer temps I'll look into headers.

The next improvement will be cams I think. I am in the process of researching Loyds cams vs the Indian cams. If anyone has any good info on Loyds I woul love to hear your experience.

All the best.

Jamie

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The next improvement will be cams I think. I am in the process of researching Loyds cams vs the Indian cams. If anyone has any good info on Loyds I woul love to hear your experience.

Jamie
Here is the link to the Australian forum where a tuner compares Indian Stage 2 cams with Lloyds 558 and 585 cams.

This is the guy who I chose to do the cams and tuning on my Springfield DH - I chose 558s after seeing these figures.

Mega Shootout: Stage 2 Cams vs Lloydz 558 vs Lloydz 585 vs 116ci Stage 3 Big Bore Kit

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mega Shootout: Stage 2 Cams vs Lloydz 558 vs Lloydz 585 vs 116ci Stage 3 Big Bore Kit[/QUOTE]

Yes. Thanks I had seen that. I was leaning towards 585 due to wanting more top end. I don’t want the bike to be smoking tires around town or Jerky to ride.

But what I am looking to improve is the highway cruising and passing.

How do you like the 558?

The other issue is finding a good Dyno
Tuner. The mechanic at the dealer near me is great but I will have to ask if he can do that.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
My bike with the 558s is very smooth on the throttle, not jerky at all. The throttle response is adjustable in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and up, if you have a PVCX, which I already had and the dyno guy used to tune the bike. AAMC is a father/son operation and both ride Indians. My throttle response was set to be a bit sharper than either of them have it on their own bikes, but I'm having no trouble.

Sometimes I think I might have them adjust the 3rd gear table to be a little less aggressive but so far I'm managing. Only once have I gone into an intersection in 3rd and the bike has shot towards the centre island before I'd straightened up. That's just a matter of getting used to the new feel.

I've taken the bike out along local bike roads and the power comes on strong and relentless when I open it up. It also revs better into the higher range. Although the rev limiter is set well above 5,000 rpm I've not had it up to 5,000 at all. The bike used to run out of steam a bit when it got around 4,000 rpm but that is now a thing of the past.

I keep telling myself that I bought this bike to slow me down, but part of me is finding that hard to accept. :)

As far as highway cruising and passing goes, the motor has more ability to pass in 6th just by turning on the power. However, since the cams went in I'm more likely to change down. If I'm cruising at our highway speed limit I'm at about 2750 rpm. If I want to pull out and pass I can do it in 6th, but the cams are happier to be in a higher rpm range so I change down and let them do their thing. The motor is so much happier to be above 3500 rpm than before, and so am I.

I figure that I paid a lot of money for these cams and dyno work and I want to get value for my dollar. That means giving them a bit of freedom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts