Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm looking for opinions. I have Chieftain and have been doing a lot of reading up. It appears that the Chieftains voltage regulators have a track record of going bad. Not isolated to a certain year but, all years. Talked to a guy that had his regulator replaced twice in three years. Why do you think that is? Location of regulator maybe I dont know but, I'm curious of why. I have owned bikes from all of the big manufacturers except HD and I have never heard of this many voltage regulators going bad. It just seems unusual to me.
Thanks for thoughts on this.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hey guys I'm looking for opinions. I have Chieftain and have been doing a lot of reading up. It appears that the Chieftains voltage regulators have a track record of going bad. Not isolated to a certain year but, all years. Talked to a guy that had his regulator replaced twice in three years. Why do you think that is? Location of regulator maybe I dont know but, I'm curious of why. I have owned bikes from all of the big manufacturers except HD and I have never heard of this many voltage regulators going bad. It just seems unusual to me.
Thanks for thoughts on this.
I haven’t got any real wide or reliable data to back this up but could it be due to the fact that those that have their bikes on tenders haven’t had to replace and those that don’t use tenders have had issues?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly thats what I thought about being on tenders but, some people said they kept their bike on tenders that had regulators go bad. I dont know but, it doesnt make any sense because I have never kept any of my bikes on tenders. Not even my Goldwing.

·
Registered
2008 Victory Vision 2016 Victory Vision 2020 Indian Challenger
829 Posts
My VR was replaced around 22K miles. I think it's a common issue.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks guys. It appears its just a roll of the dice if your voltage regulator goes out. Still reading old posts on the subject and it seems its mostly the Chieftains that have voltage regulator problems. Wonder why.
What doesnt make sense is the Roadmaster is basically the same as Chieftain and didnt see any Roadmasters loose the voltage regulator. Well, maybe one or two. Also wonder why that is. Oh well, lets ride them like we stole them.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
2017 Chieftain Dark Horse .. Warranty Replaced the Starter at 10,000 Miles ( Although was still Starting but Sluggish ) Only Issue had with it in 13 months and 12,000 Miles ..

·
Registered
717 Posts
Ok thanks guys. It appears its just a roll of the dice if your voltage regulator goes out. Still reading old posts on the subject and it seems its mostly the Chieftains that have voltage regulator problems. Wonder why.
What doesnt make sense is the Roadmaster is basically the same as Chieftain and didnt see any Roadmasters loose the voltage regulator. Well, maybe one or two. Also wonder why that is. Oh well, lets ride them like we stole them.
For those that are keeping track my Roadmaster VR crapped out at 7,000 miles.......so, yes it happens on Roadmasters also. Bike is always on battery tender if not being ridden. Currently 20,000 with no other issues. Best bike I have ever owned or riddden......by FAR!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Chieftain Limited with only 800 miles on it and I was stranded on the road this week. Dealer told me today that the VR went bad. UGH!

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
I have a 2017 Chieftain Limited with only 800 miles on it and I was stranded on the road this week. Dealer told me today that the VR went bad. UGH!
Bummer, hope they aren't still on back order!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Same thing happened to me while on vacation last Saturday in the middle of a Colorado canyon. Miles from nearest town, and no mobile phone service. Had to get a tow and then spend the weekend in Fort Collins waiting for the dealership to open. They replaced the VR and Battery under warranty. 2017 Chieftain Limited with 12k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
My brother used to jump start his 16 Streetglide and ran through VRs. VRs hate charging a dead battery. Will fry them quick. I told him to charge the battery then start the bike. No more VRs.

My Indian stays on a tender now. My Yamaha stays charged a loooong time parked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My VR went out within a week from buying my 2017 Chieftain off showroom floor. Dealer was quick to fix it, had to rob a VR off another chieftain on showroom floor.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
(2014 Chieftain, 27,000KM) On a trip riding home from the Black Hills, SD. Had all the driving lights and fog lights go dark. Then come back. Voltage was 13.9 to 14.6
Turned out to be the battery post bolts were loose. VR is original and still good.
All my fault for not checking them as I bought the bike used and the previous owner added a battery tender pig tails and GPS. Since the battery was 5 years old I replaced it as well while in there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts