Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2017 Springfield into the dealer for some recall work, and after having it on the trickle charger at home for a couple of weeks while it wasn't being ridden, I noticed when I was riding it in to the shop that the battery indicator came up in the display. My thinking originally was that the original OEM battery needed to be replaced after 2+ years of riding, but the dealer says that they suspect the voltage regulator is bad and apparently tested as such. They quoted me $241.99 for the regulator, plus up to 2 hours of labor to replace it, for a total of nearly $500. In looking at the parts diagram, it looks like 2 bolts and 2 plugs to replace it. Firstly, is this truly a regulator issue, or is the battery just due to be replaced; second, is the regulator as easy to replace as it looks like?

The bike has been perfect up until now with nearly 10k on the clock, the only reason it's been in the shop is for the recall work.

Also, just to verify, the Indian/Polaris P/N on the regulator is 4014300. If it's where I'm thinking it is on the bike, should be on the forward part of the frame down towards the bottom of the bike.

·
Silver member
4,799 Posts
Toggle while running and see if you are 14.2-14.4 volts. If so your regulator is in good shape.

I would start with the simple checks listed in the manual...

Reactions: 68Lupe

·
Bronze member
3,629 Posts
I took my 2017 Springfield into the dealer for some recall work, and after having it on the trickle charger at home for a couple of weeks while it wasn't being ridden, I noticed when I was riding it in to the shop that the battery indicator came up in the display. My thinking originally was that the original OEM battery needed to be replaced after 2+ years of riding, but the dealer says that they suspect the voltage regulator is bad and apparently tested as such. They quoted me $241.99 for the regulator, plus up to 2 hours of labor to replace it, for a total of nearly $500. In looking at the parts diagram, it looks like 2 bolts and 2 plugs to replace it. Firstly, is this truly a regulator issue, or is the battery just due to be replaced; second, is the regulator as easy to replace as it looks like?

The bike has been perfect up until now with nearly 10k on the clock, the only reason it's been in the shop is for the recall work.

Also, just to verify, the Indian/Polaris P/N on the regulator is 4014300. If it's where I'm thinking it is on the bike, should be on the forward part of the frame down towards the bottom of the bike.

Dealer needs to pound sand.

Ricks Motorsports makes and rebuilds electrical components to much higher tolerances than Polaris.

Unbolt, unplug , re-bolt re-plug 20 min job

·
Registered
177 Posts

When that happened to me I have a 16 Springfield it was the key fob battery.Replaced all good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys - I just let the dealer know that I'll be picking it up at the end of the week and not to do anything more to the bike. I'll check the volts on the LCD when I get it home, and if they're low/out of range, I'll order one of those units from Rick's and just install it myself. If the volts are good, then I'd imagine that my original hunch is correct and I need a new battery.

Also, I replaced the keyfob battery this spring, so that should still be good. It has to be the regulator or the main battery at this point.

·
Bronze member
2,643 Posts
AGAIN: Check that battery ground cable connection on the frame rail [FIRST] as THAT seems to be a common problem on these bikes.Either,it loosens up for whatever reason,vibration maybe,OR,the factory didn't tighten it enough.I had the problem on my bike as did a number of other guys on this site.I had to tighten mine twice,[didn;'t wanna over tighten it and break the bolt] but since the second time,my electrical system has been functioning very well!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts