Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Founding member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just my bad luck or are there issues with the Indian voltage regulator?

My 2017 Chieftain has been trouble prone.Many other electrical issues, all repaired under warranty.

The dealer replaced my voltage regulator about a year ago.

I had another failure but the warranty has expired. I purchased a non Indian replacement from Dennis Kirk. It was about a hundred dollars less than Indians price.I haven't got it yet but after the second failure I thought I would try something elese.

Of course it may be that it came from the same factory in China as the Indian branded one!

·
Bronze member
3,650 Posts

My 2017 Chieftain has been trouble prone.Many other electrical issues, all repaired under warranty.

The dealer replaced my voltage regulator about a year ago.

I had another failure but the warranty has expired. I purchased a non Indian replacement from Dennis Kirk. It was about a hundred dollars less than Indians price.I haven't got it yet but after the second failure I thought I would try something elese.

Of course it may be that it came from the same factory in China as the Indian branded one!

The Dennis Kirk one is made by Rick's Motorsports here in the US. Supposed to be better quality.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Where you using a trickle charger just prior to the regulator failure. The regulator on my 17' Vintage crapped out right after using a trickle charger for the first time. Don't know if it's connected but that's the way my brain works.

·
Founding member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had used a trickle charger but not lately. Don't think it was a factor.

I have 15 K on this bike and plan on keeping it.I hope two failures was just a fluke.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The regulator went out on my 17 chieftain at about 7000 mile. It was allowing too much voltage. The replacement has been on the bike now about 9000 miles and is working perfectly. So I’m hoping they just had some bad ones come through. I think you made the right call going with a Ricks regulator

·
Rider
470 Posts
Had one go out on my 17 Roadmaster a year or so ago, was replaced under warranty. I was going to buy a spare, but the dealer used one he got in to replace one from a bike on the floor he used on someone elses bike. Haven't had a problem since, but might get one to keep in the saddle bag since most of our riding is longer distances.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Had one go out with just under 1000 miles on my '17 RM. I now have the tour console on the tank so there is a constant gauge to look. I'm hoping I will notice anomalies before I get stranded again. That and I like knowing how much gas is in the tank instead of "Low"

·
Founding member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also installed the tank gage cluster. This was expensive but worth it.

After the first regulator failure I keep a close watch on voltage.

I saw the voltage drop and cut the ride short but made it home before the battery went.

The rest of this story is this is my third Chieftain.14,16 and this 17.

The other two were trouble free!! One bad fob on the 14,nothing on the 16.Both were black bikes and the paint was subpar.

So,I got the Silver Smoke 17 with ride command.Because of my problems I'm now on a first name basis with the local dealer.

Great folks!!!

·
Rider
543 Posts
Where you using a trickle charger just prior to the regulator failure. The regulator on my 17' Vintage crapped out right after using a trickle charger for the first time. Don't know if it's connected but that's the way my brain works.
Since there are thousands of trickle chargers out there in daily use I'm going to say .....No!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had Regulator start to fail on my 14 Vintage a couple of months ago, went and brought a Ricks Motorsport Indian Regulator, top quality plugs straight in and it’s not Chinese made, also a third of the price that Polaris charge here in Australia, I also use a trickle chargers on my bikes with no issues.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My voltage regulator when out on my 17 Roadmaster at about 7,000 mikes. Left me stranded and I vowed to not let that happen again, so I purchased a spare and it stays in my saddle bag.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Since there are thousands of trickle chargers out there in daily use I'm going to say .....No!
I'm not the first one who experienced a regulator failure immediately after using a trickle charger which is why I mentioned it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not the first one who experienced a regulator failure immediately after using a trickle charger which is why I mentioned it.
I have a 2017 Chieftian.I bought it used with 18000 Kms.The Regulator was replaced under warranty at 16000 Kms by the previous owner. At about 21000 Kms the regulator went again and left me on the side of the road .(out of warranty). I replaced it and bought a spare. Just before the summit of Lolo pass the battery light went on again.I turned around and headed to a near by campground to change the regulator out. I changed it out but it wouldn't charge.It wasn't the regulator!! AAA brought it to Missoula Montana .I ended up trailering it back to Canada as there was no Indian dealers in Montana. The problem was the connector on the bike that goes to the Regulator was burnt. You couldn't see it until you cut the connector apart on the Bike. Apparently the connections on the new updated regulator are slightly different and make a dirty connection which builds resistance and eventually fails.I have rode Harleys for years ( still have a Streetglide) and always got grief about them being unreliable.Funny thing is they never left me on the side of the road!

·
Bronze member
4,689 Posts
I had used a trickle charger but not lately. Don't think it was a factor.
If you can take a bit of tech talk about chargers, this might give some clarification to this one.

In the good old days we had battery chargers. They gave about 14 volts and once connected to the battery they brought it up to full charge. Then you had to take it off as the 14 volts would continue. This continuous overcharge could harm the battery if it was left on too long.

Then we had trickle chargers. This was a bit of a refinement with some primitive voltage control whereby as the charge on the battery increased the output of the charger dropped off. It would charge quickly at first and gradually slow down the rate of charge until fully charged. But it still continued to supply a voltage to the charged battery like earlier chargers, but at a reduced rate. Too long on the battery could still be detrimental.

Then they came up with the float charger. This one turned itself off, or close to off, when the battery was charged, then it turned on again and off again in a cycle to keep the battery alive over winter etc without stressing the battery too much.

Now we have the battery tender. This has sophisticated electronics that reads the battery, brings it up to charge, turns off but continues to read the charge level, turns on when needed and off when needed. These things can be left on without worry and are probably the norm these days. They typically have a set of 5 or 6 lights along the top to tell you what part of the process is happening at the moment.

If you have an older model charger that falls into charger/trickle/float era, it might be a factor in battery failure, and depending on how a battery is failing, it could negatively impact the regulator. The stator, RR unit and battery form a set of triplets, knock one and the others can sometimes feel the blow. The regulator tries to give the battery what it needs, but if the battery is sick then the regulator might be overloaded trying to keep up.

I'm intrigued to hear that people have regulator failure after being on a trickle charger as the bike is usually not turned on and the regulator doesn't know what the battery is doing. However, if a battery is cooked a bit hot from an unsuitable charge then the regulator might go out before the battery damage is noticed.

Sorry about the long post, but I hope it answers a question or two.

·
Founding member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great info. I mis spoke. I have used a battery tender not trickle charger.

Also great info on possible mis match on connectors. But cutting apart the connector on the bike would be extreme.

The new voltage regulator is due Friday.

I hope the Dennis Kirk version solves my problem long term.

Trading this bike isn't an option. My wife bought me this bike for our 50th wedding anniversary!

·
Rider
538 Posts
Hearing of your issue and others with a bad voltage regulator I’m wondering if I shouldn’t buy a backup now to have when needed...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've gone through a bad voltage regulator on two different Vinyages, so something's up. One of of them, whatever happened actually blew a hole right in the units. In both cases, the dealer had to cannibalize one from a bike in the shop since they were back-ordered at Polaris.

·
Super Moderator
4,789 Posts
Click on the tag that says "voltage regulator" on the top left hand side of the page, probably a couple hours worth of reading there.

·
Rider
865 Posts
I'm intrigued to hear that people have regulator failure after being on a trickle charger as the bike is usually not turned on and the regulator doesn't know what the battery is doing. .
Not with any Bike I own... the Regulator is attached directly to the Battery, and cannot discern if the Bike is Running or not... Any overcharge they Shunt to ground..
Far as I know, any Voltage regulator can be damaged by Overcharging...
Unless these Indians are Much Smarter than I Imagine...
Guess I'm off to find a Schematic..... as I have been wrong so many Times, my Bitter Half quit keeping Score!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts