Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been interested in the application of vinyl wrap (commonly used in automotive) in lieu of airbrushing my helmet because it would permit me to modify it in the future. Also, for cost, it's much less expensive. I'm a huge fan of vintage white (some folks call it tan, or beige), but it's very difficult to find helmets in this color - extremely limited selection. This color doesn't hurt for high visibility, either.

So, I started poking around the Interweb, and fooled around with some designs. I found that 3M makes a vinyl wrap called 1080-G79 Gloss Light Ivory that works perfectly for my needs. I paired it up with my full-face Shoei Qwest, and you can see the results below. At the very least, I will be able to ID quickly in a sea of black helmets at the local ride stop.

I had to make a lot of calls to track down this color of vinyl wrap. I found that is definitely not a highly requested color in the world of vinyl wrapping. Also, I spoke with several shops to find someone who would be willing to work on a helmet. Most were not jumping at the chance because it's not a lot of money, and it's a lot of effort.

I'm sharing because maybe it will inspire others to be creative with their helmets; I was inspired by what I found from others online. Cheers.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You should write a step by step how to for those of us who are not as talented as you.

I would try that with different colors.

·
Speak softly and carry a big stick. Teddy R
1,529 Posts
Sweet, I like that idea. May have to look at refurbing one of my other helmets. Maybe a green and cream to match my Vintage. Thanks for the idea.

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
One of the reasons I liked the Shoei GT Air, is the white stripe, with matte. Always liked that shade of white as well, we painted a few walls similar shade in the house. This is great Jeff!

Reactions: jeffhemme

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should write a step by step how to for those of us who are not as talented as you.

I would try that with different colors.
Svenski, I used YouTube and watched lots of tutorials. I did not do my Shoei helmet myself, I had help. But, I bought extra material and have tried doing my other helmets. The material wasn't that expensive, and I found it pretty easy to work with. Because if I screwed up, just take it off and start over. Heat and patience were my friends with the learning curve working with this material.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the reasons I liked the Shoei GT Air, is the white stripe, with matte. Always liked that shade of white as well, we painted a few walls similar shade in the house. This is great Jeff!
Same here BoySCOUT, I almost ditched the Qwest for the GT Air because of that stripe option, plus the internal sun visor. With the mod I used, I got my stripes and I sucked it up and purchased a Pinlock dark smoke shield (bonus: no more fogging).

·
1,529 Posts
I've been interested in the application of vinyl wrap (commonly used in automotive) in lieu of airbrushing my helmet because it would permit me to modify it in the future. Also, for cost, it's much less expensive. I'm a huge fan of vintage white (some folks call it tan, or beige), but it's very difficult to find helmets in this color - extremely limited selection. This color doesn't hurt for high visibility, either.
What was manufacture of the Vinyl wrap that you purchased? Is it online?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, you can purchase it online easily, and I've seen the prices vary by a whole lot: 3M 1080-G79 Gloss Light Ivory. It comes in rolls that are 60" wide. You only need a 3 feet max to wrap a helmet with plenty of extra just for fun. Look around online for a great price. I called some local auto vinyl wrap shops and they offered small pieces to me for free.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was told that Avery makes a great product, too. I know you're chasing that Indian Willow Green color, huh?

·
1,529 Posts
a
I was told that Avery makes a great product, too. I know you're chasing that Indian Willow Green color, huh?
Yep. I've got a black 3/4 bell that is scuffed up pretty good. Thought that I had to sh*t can it. Would like to refurb to a matching color for the new bike.
Actually I've got several that could possibly have new life breathed into them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a
Yep. I've got a black 3/4 bell that is scuffed up pretty good. Thought that I had to sh*t can it. Would like to refurb to a matching color for the new bike.
Actually I've got several that could possibly have new life breathed into them.
Having a custom color to match your bike is the tops. Also, having a custom color that is unique to you > even better. Personally, I like my helmet to be readily identifiable by me, instead of me picking up several near-identical black helmets and saying, "Hey, is this one mine?" I've even thought about being someplace and having my helmet stolen - how could I quickly ID it in the moment (yes, we all know some peeps steal helmets from handlebars) from someone walking down the block with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts