Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vintage sometimes displays the upper case letter A, beside the gear indicator. Then for no reason the display is normal. Anyone ever see the same ?

·
Silver member
4,811 Posts
A means ambient temperature. Normal. Read your owners manual...

·
Bronze member
4,688 Posts
On the Scout, which has no ambient temp sensor, it shows E for engine coolant temp. Perhaps the new water cooled motor will have options for both A and E.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have the same A appearing next to the gear indicator but still don’t get why it is displayed? What good is that info and I didn’t see anything in the riders manual.
Same here, no mention in the 2017 Riders Manual.

·
Bronze member
4,688 Posts
I have the same A appearing next to the gear indicator but still don’t get why it is displayed? What good is that info and I didn’t see anything in the riders manual.
Same here, no mention in the 2017 Riders Manual.
This is from page 38 of my 2018 rider's manual. I don't know why it's not in the 2017 manual.

upload_2019-8-22_8-22-26.png

There are several reasons why it's helpful to know the ambient temp.

1. When it's getting down to zero the possibility of ice on the road increases. Keeping an eye on the temp can save you a bad spill.
2. When it's excessively hot a rider can dehydrate and not be conscious of how his/her concentration is fading. Knowing the temp allows us to take care of ourselves.
3. If the temp is dropping, such as riding over a high altitude range, we can lose core temp ourselves but think we'll be OK as the road will drop into the warmer valley soon. Seeing how fast the temp is dropping allows us to pull over and add another layer before we get too cold.

I've been in all these situations.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This is from page 38 of my 2018 rider's manual. I don't know why it's not in the 2017 manual.

View attachment 518872

There are several reasons why it's helpful to know the ambient temp.

1. When it's getting down to zero the possibility of ice on the road increases. Keeping an eye on the temp can save you a bad spill.
2. When it's excessively hot a rider can dehydrate and not be conscious of how his/her concentration is fading. Knowing the temp allows us to take care of ourselves.
3. If the temp is dropping, such as riding over a high altitude range, we can lose core temp ourselves but think we'll be OK as the road will drop into the warmer valley soon. Seeing how fast the temp is dropping allows us to pull over and add another layer before we get too cold.

I've been in all these situations.
Everything you stated makes perfect sense, my 17' Manual has the same info on page 43. Perhaps the authors should have actually explained The purpose of the "A". Would be nifty if there was a cylinder head temp sensor with the "C" code.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My vintage sometimes displays the upper case letter A, beside the gear indicator. Then for no reason the display is normal. Anyone ever see the same ?
I always knew it meant ambient temp. But it displays sometimes when in rpm, batt volt, or other displays.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I always knew it meant ambient temp. But it displays sometimes when in rpm, batt volt, or other displays.
You sure you are not accidentally hitting the toggle switch while gripping the bars and scrolling through the display options? I find myself doing that from time to time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts