Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a big difference between the Vintage handle bars and the Classic bars? I rode the Vintage, but I don't think I would want the bars any wider? Thinking about getting the Classic to save some money.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Is there a big difference between the Vintage handle bars and the Classic bars? I rode the Vintage, but I don't think I would want the bars any wider? Thinking about getting the Classic to save some money.
Same bar on both bikes. Pullback bar is the same width as original but two inches closer to the rider, hence its name.

·
Registered
57 Posts
sd, the Vintage is THE bike if you want to wear the ***** badge properly. Indian has hit the mark in marketing. 19k Classic is rite enuff to get yor attention, for many this is a stretch, but gets them in the door. For a mere 2k bump you get ALL the things you ARE going to add to yor base bike. It's just Too good a deal to pass up. This setup is the defacto *****.
But Indian didn't stop there. Good marketing they offer the whole enchilada Chieftain with a plethora of goodies for that magic 2k bump. Considering ALL what you get, the pain is minimal. If they had included more such as a tour pack the price diff would be 3k and enuff to turn many folks away, and settle for Mid level offering or even go to another brand cuz they were needing a true tour package.
So the folks at Indian are smart cookies as to how much bling (a lot) and how much space between stair steps to make the climb worth yor serious consideration. Work the problem backward. If the Chieftain is off yor gotta have list, then the Vintage is THE rite choice. If you just can't somehow pony up the extra 2 rite now (but you will later and pay more for less) then the Classic is yor bike. All three will get you where yor going. poncho

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love the Vintage, Coming from the BMW world, I'm a little hesitant about tubed tires, Had my fair share of flats, and tubeless tires are pretty good to have. I wish Indian and many other spoked wheel makers would design there wheels to accommodate tubeless tires. Decisions, decisions. If BMW can do it so can others.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You may be referring to the beach bars. I had them installed before getting new bike. They are lower more turned back and maybe a bit wider. Think old bikes from the 40s. Check out a pair at dealer and set next to stock bars. I love them adds to retro look. I got black Chief Classic no baggers for me. And have 2 grand in extras. Did not want saddlebags to cover sexy valanced fender. Or a windshield, a radio, motor is music to my ears. But to each his own. Which ever you choose can't be wrong. But I recommend beach bars.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The Vintage and Classic are the same bike, the Vintage will come with Saddlebags, Highway bars, Windshield, Chrome fender tips and a Chrome Tank badge instead of a decal. also will have Tan leather vs Black. Like others have said for 2k you get your moneys worth but 18,900 is a attractive price. I went with the Vintage because I needed the saddle bags and liked the look of the tan leather. If your going to add the extras you save money with the vintage package. I agree tubeless tires would be nice but have had only one flat in 28 years, knock on wood. Can't go wrong with either bike, good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm with Slickeddie, the beach bars are a MUST! There are now incentives for the classics. $1000 packages included as motivation to move inventory. I got the signature package which included the beach bars, a tinted windscreen, and handlebar bag. The point is valid about spending the $2000K for all the more you get. It's true. The reason I didn't was that my girl friend got her bike before I got mine. Also, a BIG motivator was I want hard bags for my bike. That's a tough one as Indian won't give that to classic people as an option (for now anyways). The one thing that I regret is having to get the fender tips, but the $2000K didn't justify that for me. I also don't use crash bars as I split traffic a lot. My understanding is that the classic isn't the biggest seller Indian has compared to the chieftain and the vintage. If you're looking to save a few bucks, if you go with Thunder Black you save $500 off MSRP.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got the fender tips and bumpers front and rear. Got mine in April so only got 250$ in accessories. Went with tall windshield. Dealer said first one he sold. Standard right in my line of sight. I'm 6'3" works much better for me. Prefer no fringe and black seat and bags. More room for my big feet without crash bars. So easy to turn back into striped down cruiser. The climate sucks here. First day of summer 50 and fog. windscreen makes things much better.
so far installed the following.
Front and rear bumpers.
Fender tip accents.
Tall windshield.
Beach bars.
Std. height pass backrest.
Drivers backrest.
Saddlebags from US Saddlebag co. [these bags are awesome!]
Rear luggage rack [if it ever gets here.]
Want tail bag from Bossbags when I get rack.
Front and rear mud flaps.
Caliper covers.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went with a Classic and the dealer already added all the stuff to it to make it, like a vintage. but in black leather! I did pay a little more then a Vintage, however I got 2 things I wanted really bad, 1 was I got a Numbered BLUE Indian. I missed the early rush and could not find a Blue Numbered bike anywhere. And 2nd I loved the look of the Tan Leather, but I knew I would be putting a crap load of miles on the bike with very limited time for Care and feeding of the Leather, so I went with the Black leather. Plus it makes my bike just a little more different then the others.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Tubless tires...

I have a similar background, BMW GS's for years, plugged several tire. Have a Classic now. There are people out there who are switching wheels with the Chieftain. Kind of expensive, $2,000 for front and rear rims including tires, last time I checked.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
If you only cruise around town, short rides not over night, or a minimalist. Bags are not needed. I need them badly, plus the windshield. Price on Classic is a draw.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I got the Classic because I liked the painted large Indian script logo on the tank. That logo is a classic. I also added many accessories over time and have an otherwise Vintage but all black leather, which I think goes good with the Springfield blue. I also added blackwalls once the rear tire turned brown. You won't save any money though customizing the Classic to a custom "Vintage" but you will have fun.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I agree with Blue Chief. If the classic is the bike of your choice think of it like a work of art that only needs a few more strokes to complete.
As in all bikes make it your own, who wants a cookie cutter bike.

·
Registered
67 Posts
image.jpg
Found this 1950 Indian Chief "Hard Bagger" at Wheels of Time museum, Maggie Valley, NC. Decided to reproduce it from a modern 2014 foundation.

Took a 2014 Classic to a "Custom Bagger" (hard bags/electric lock) with lots of retro......Now a Great Looking "Classic 2014 Chief"!
I agree with CavemanHH.......TAKE A classic and move up to the exact look you want..... Isn't that what bikers have been doin for ages!?

·
Registered
228 Posts
View attachment 4733 Found this 1950 Indian Chief "Hard Bagger" at Wheels of Time museum, Maggie Valley, NC. Decided to reproduce it from a modern 2014 foundation.
Took a 2014 Classic to a "Custom Bagger" (hard bags/electric lock) with lots of retro......Now a Great Looking "Classic 2014 Chief"!
I agree with CavemanHH.......TAKE A classic and move up to the exact look you want..... Isn't that what bikers have been doin for ages!?
Love the look. When I grow out of the Scout or go to a second bike this is what I want in Black. Great Looking!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts