Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gently laid my new Vintage over while at complete stop,. Started to turn around and slipped on oil spill. The bike took off doing doughnuts while I ran behind trying to catch it! Appeared to be propped up on floorboard-saddle bag and crash bar. 50 years of riding and never saw this before.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Gently laid my new Vintage over while at complete stop,. Started to turn around and slipped on oil spill. The bike took off doing doughnuts while I ran behind trying to catch it! Apeared to be propped up on floorboard-saddle bag and crash bar. 50 years of riding and never saw this before.
On my old ......brand X bike.....I put the jiffy stand down when my hand slipped off the clutch lever.
The bike lurched forward and the jiffy stand dug into the pavement.
It violently flipped over and the throttle then bit into the pavement.....I had some of those bad azzed spike handlebar ends.
As the bike spun round and round the throttle opened wider with every lap.

Pretty soon things were a blur and the next thing I knew I had a big fat bill in my mailbox from the street department for digging my bike up out of the pavement.
It screwed itself right into the ground.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Wow, you guys put my "whoops, dropped it" story to shame. I'll never tell it again, however, I will tell your horror stories. As always with a fallen bike story, glad no one was hurt (physically, that is). Oh, one more thing - why do we always feel compelled to tell everyone in the nation????

Reactions: 16springfield

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Did u get any pictures? Am not doubting ya, just would like to see that, and NO I'm not gonna try it. Damn, I think I just jinxed myself, better go get some extra bells to hang on mine.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Oh, one more thing - why do we always feel compelled to tell everyone in the nation????
Two things, I guess......
1) I have some asshole following my every post on this forum, only to place a big red X on it. He never posts a thing himself....as in NEVER. I look at him like my punk, following me around just hoping to catch a whiff of one of my farts. So rather than post anything of value or anything that might be even of the slightest of interest, I find the most ridiculous thread that I can and then I post the most ridiculous thing that I can think up.

2) The first liar doesn't have a chance as long as I am in the room.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Gently laid my new Vintage over while at complete stop,. Started to turn around and slipped on oil spill. The bike took off doing doughnuts while I ran behind trying to catch it! Appeared to be propped up on floorboard-saddle bag and crash bar. 50 years of riding and never saw this before.
You need to get your bike to the dealership and have them check the tip-over sensor. It's supposed to shut everything off in the event of a lay down. Sounds to me like yours isn't working. (I know mine does, I've tested it :oops:)

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Wow, you guys put my "whoops, dropped it" story to shame. I'll never tell it again, however, I will tell your horror stories. As always with a fallen bike story, glad no one was hurt (physically, that is). Oh, one more thing - why do we always feel compelled to tell everyone in the nation????
I think purging one's soul is hidden deep inside us all and an event like this makes it happen.
Hell............I give up ! Why do people tell ? LOL

·
Registered
892 Posts
Worked on a Honda Elite 50 scooter for a buddy....cleaned and reinstalled the carb. Then noticed the steering head was jacked so I disassembled the front end and left it on its center stand while waiting for parts. My buddy stopped by to see how it was running, so I started it up. As it idled, we were across the garage talking and the handlebars fell off the top which snatched the throttle WFO. The weight of the handlebars had been holding the back wheel off the ground, so when they fell off, the scooter fell back on its fully powered rear wheel. That scooter cartwheeled through the air between us, screaming and snarling and landed at the end of the driveway, still running. Funniest thing I've ever seen...there was no time to react at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts