Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see people saying they have Roadmaster number XXX. I know the VIN number last 6 digits - 12 - 17 are the vehicle sequence number. I work in automotive. I also know that often they often don't start with 000001, so the first vehicle might be 270001. How is it with the Roadmaster VIN's? Does anyone have that information? I'd love to know, as a fairly early buyer, what sequence number I'm riding.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I see people saying they have Roadmaster number XXX. I know the VIN number last 6 digits - 12 - 17 are the vehicle sequence number. I work in automotive. I also know that often they often don't start with 000001, so the first vehicle might be 270001. How is it with the Roadmaster VIN's? Does anyone have that information? I'd love to know, as a fairly early buyer, what sequence number I'm riding.

:confused:
I have 1 of the first Roadmasters shipped to Colorado. The last 6 of the VIN is 320829. I guess it's reasonable to assume they started at 320000. The Roadmasters were not factory numbered like the first 1,901 bikes last year.

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, PakRat. I was thinking that might be the case. If so, I just bought number 163. I've written Polaris for confirmation.

·
Registered
166 Posts
320355 for my red/cream Roadmaster and it was the first red/cream that my dealer got in.

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There goes the "started with 320000" theory. LOL... I wish Polaris would get back to me. Working in automotive, I know it wouldn't be hard for them to answer the question. With a VIN at the manufacturer, you can find out who bolted the seat on and when.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Bumping this up since I'm taking delivery of my Roadmaster This weekend and I think its been on the showroom floor for 4 months now. Curious how I can find what number it is of the 2015s.

Anyone have a formual to figure this out?

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
This is from an earlier post from somewhere (here or on the Chief Forum). It is from a 2014 but would be the same except for year model designation :

1st digit = N
2nd & 3rd Digit = 14
4th Digit* = C=Cruiser T=Touring
5th Digit* = C=Chief C=Chieftain
6th Digit* = A=Standard C=Classic V=Vintage
7th Digit* = A=1811cc (111ci) V-Twin
8th Digit = A=Thunder Stroke 111 (92hp)
9th Digit** = A=Thunder Black B=Springfield Blue R=Indian Red
10th Digit = A=49 State B=50 State C=Canadian E=EU (WVTA) J=Japan (SVA)

* = digits that would transfer to 17 digit VIN and are used in digits 4-8 respectively.
** = 9th digit will be used on color / featured versions of models (not including base)
First 3 digits and 9th digit are used in model number only. They are not used with the 17 digit VIN

VIN Designation
Example: 56KTCAAA0E3000024

First 3 digits = World Mfg. ID
4th digit = Chassis
5th = Type
6th = Disp
7th = HP
8th = Series
9th = Check Digit
10th = MY*
11th = Mfg
12 thru 17 = Individual Serial No.

*Model Year:
E=2014
F=2015
G=2016
H=2017

Engine Number Location

The engine number is stamped into the bottom of the RH engine case. The stamping identifies the engine model and serial number.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Thanks, PakRat. I was thinking that might be the case. If so, I just bought number 163. I've written Polaris for confirmation.
Did you get anything back from Polaris? Maybe they started at 31900? Maybe RM serial numbers are integrated with the Chieftains? Inquiring minds want to know o_O

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
This is from an earlier post from somewhere (here or on the Chief Forum). It is from a 2014 but would be the same except for year model designation :

1st digit = N
2nd & 3rd Digit = 14

* = digits that would transfer to 17 digit VIN and are used in digits 4-8 respectively.
** = 9th digit will be used on color / featured versions of models (not including base)
First 3 digits and 9th digit are used in model number only. They are not used with the 17 digit VIN

VIN Designation

4th digit = Chassis
5th = Type
6th = Disp
7th = HP
8th = Series
9th = Check Digit
10th = MY*
11th = Mfg

*Model Year:
E=2014
F=2015
G=2016
H=2017

Engine Number Location

The engine number is stamped into the bottom of the RH engine case. The stamping identifies the engine model and serial number.
Did anyone get definitive VIN decoding info on the Polaris Indian's? Using the above there are some digits in my vin that do not fall in place.
Also, Is it possible the last digits, denoting unit number, are not model specific, but rather a sequenced total of units built in the model year stated in the VIN.

Reactions: Scrappy

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
No one?

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
Hmmm . . . . what I posted earlier could be wrong. If I remember correctly I gleened the information from the following PDF (below). Those images are from a service manual - which? I don't know, maybe a Scout? Maybe a Chief?

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts

1st digit = N
2nd & 3rd Digit = 14

VIN Designation

4th digit = Chassis
5th = Type
6th = Disp
7th = HP
8th = Series
9th = Check Digit
10th = MY*
11th = Mfg

*Model Year:
E=2014
F=2015
G=2016
H=2017

Engine Number Location

The engine number on my Roadmaster is next to impossible to read. My 11 year old grandson couldn't read it with a bright light. I had to obtain it by having my dealer retrieve it from their records while I was there for a 500 mile checkup.

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
Found this thread searching for vin info. We just purchased a sold springfield blue (1 of 3) roadmaster. Ours is 316789 mfg in april of 2014. Wondering if it was one of the first few.
I believe that qualifies as a "First Run", # 789. Lucky man.

Be SURE you got the 5 year wrranty (not 2 year) that should have transfered to you with ownership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
And #EskimoQuinn we did get the 5-year. It was sold to us as New. Our dealer bought it from Indian Corporate auction.
And #EskimoQuinn we did get the 5-year. It was sold to us as New. Our dealer bought it from Indian Corporate auction.
I also just purchased a 2015 roadmaster in all Springfield Blue (1 of 3 ) #316787 . I was looking for more info on the bike, it has been difficult. Saw your post and it answered at least one question.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow! Cool to know where one of the other 3 is!! Where are you from? I was told the 3rd is owned by a corp executive (not ridden). I tried customer service, but no luck there. They did say to have our dealer send an e-mail to "ask indian now" and that will go to engineer and manufacturing. Haven't gone that far yet. I sent a message to Indian via FB but have not heard anything.

I'm thinking they may be one of the first 3 Roadmaster's produced. The vin serial seems to be after the 2014 Chief Vintage (springfield blue) but before the 2015 Roadmaster's. I have yet to find an earlier Roadmaster s/n.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts