Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an installed Viking's XL lamellar shock cut-out saddlebags for my 2020 Scout. I went with the shock cut-out options not to make room for the shocks, but to make room for the belt guard. While I sacrificed a little bit of volume in the bags, the cut-outs allowed me to mount the bags lower and closer to the fender.

For anyone wondering how the shock cut-out versions look/fit on the scout, check out the pics attached.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Would these bags work well with easy brackets? Scout sixty abs

Can you use the oem sissy bar with an easy bracket installed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you still happy with the bags after having them on for a few weeks now?
Yes
Are you still happy with the bags after having them on for a few weeks now?
Yes and no.

Yes: The bags look great (per the pictures) and they function well (locking mechanism and so forth).

No: The bolts that was included in the mounting kit were not stainless steel. One of the bolts sheared while I was riding and the bag subsequently swung down and scratched, and scratched up my belt guard. I finally received the replacement bags from Viking (customer support took multiple weeks getting them to me), and they only refunded me $100 (even though it's going to cost more (labor + parts) to replace the belt guard).

In summary, when you get these bags replace the stock bolts with stainless steel so they don't fail on you. If you have to deal with Viking customer support, be prepared for a long drawn-out process.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes

Yes and no.

Yes: The bags look great (per the pictures) and they function well (locking mechanism and so forth).

No: The bolts that was included in the mounting kit were not stainless steel. One of the bolts sheared while I was riding and the bag subsequently swung down and scratched, and scratched up my belt guard. I finally received the replacement bags from Viking (customer support took multiple weeks getting them to me), and they only refunded me $100 (even though it's going to cost more (labor + parts) to replace the belt guard).

In summary, when you get these bags replace the stock bolts with stainless steel so they don't fail on you. If you have to deal with Viking customer support, be prepared for a long drawn-out process.
Thanks for the honest response. I actually ordered the same ones today as I really love the look on your bike. I also ordered a set of the blacked out easy brackets from another website with hopes they are a better quality than the provided mounting kit. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the honest response. I actually ordered the same ones today as I really love the look on your bike. I also ordered a set of the blacked out easy brackets from another website with hopes they are a better quality than the provided mounting kit. Fingers crossed.

View attachment 599425
Happy to help! Be sure to share pictures when you get those bags mounted!

·
Registered
779 Posts

View attachment 599425
The easybrackets push the bag outward quite far over the belt guard. You might not need the shock cut outs for those.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Installed the Viking hard bags and easy brackets. Great Bike Gear has the easy bracket hardware in black rather than stainless fyi. Install went ok. Easy brackets are tight on the spools but I have read they loosen up over time the more you remove the bags. I think they look great on this bike and am happy so far. Here are the pics I promised.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks great! See you have the V&H 3" slash cut pipes on too. Just put those on my bike this weekend and they sound awesome.

·
Bronze member
2018 Scout Bobber and Scout 60
1,229 Posts
Installed the Viking hard bags and easy brackets. Great Bike Gear has the easy bracket hardware in black rather than stainless fyi. Install went ok. Easy brackets are tight on the spools but I have read they loosen up over time the more you remove the bags. I think they look great on this bike and am happy so far. Here are the pics I promised.
View attachment 600870 View attachment 600871 View attachment 600872 View attachment 600873 View attachment 600874 View attachment 600875
Look good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
That looks very slick! Those bags really pull things together.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Would these work on a bobber just the same?

I don't believe there is enough room on the back fender of a Bobber to fit these saddlebags. Options for Bobber saddlebags are very few.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't believe there is enough room on the back fender of a Bobber to fit these saddlebags. Options for Bobber saddlebags are very few.
I know and i just can’t seem to find a decent hard set without spending $1000.

·
Registered
71 Posts

View attachment 599425
Just an update. Decided to wash the bike and put her away for the winter today. Glad I did. As I was removing the hard bags I found the front left bolt that holds the easy bracket supplied spool to the fender snapped off flush with the fender. The bag was probably going to fall off at any time. What would cause this?
I tried to drill out the bolt and it appears to be a hardened material as drill bits wouldn’t even scratch it. Luckily there was enough sticking through fender on tire side to get pliers on and thread out. Anyone hear of this happening with the easy bracket hardware? What would be the correct replacement bolt specs?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts