Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From CNBC:

<object id='cnbcplayer' height='380' width='400' classid='clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000' codebase='http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0' > <param name='type' value='application/x-shockwave-flash'/> <param name='allowfullscreen' value='true'/> <param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always'/> <param name='quality' value='best'/> <param name='scale' value='noscale' /> <param name='wmode' value='transparent'/> <param name='bgcolor' value='#000000'/> <param name='salign' value='lt'/> <param name='flashVars' value='startTime=000'/> <param name='flashVars' value='endTime=000'/> <param name='movie' value='http://plus.cnbc.com/rssvideosearch/action/player/id/3000140843/code/cnbcplayershare' /> <embed name='cnbcplayer' PLUGINSPAGE='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' allowfullscreen='true' allowscriptaccess='always' bgcolor='#000000' height='380' width='400' quality='best' wmode='transparent' scale='noscale' salign='lt' src='http://plus.cnbc.com/rssvideosearch/action/player/id/3000140843/code/cnbcplayershare' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' /></object>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, all new bike, no cross pollination with Victory and a price point much lower than the $35K the current bikes list for. This could get interesting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree it was interesting and will be interesting to see what happens with Indian and Victory going forward.

Was it just me or did he seem a little defensive or uncomfortable? I know from experience it can be very tough to reduce a complex strategy to a few talking points and make the case in a short timeframe like that interview... but it seems to me he could do a better job doing it. Does anyone believe 'most' people buy a Polaris for work and not play?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
11482 said:
Was it just me or did he seem a little defensive or uncomfortable? I know from experience it can be very tough to reduce a complex strategy to a few talking points and make the case in a short timeframe like that interview... but it seems to me he could do a better job doing it. Does anyone believe 'most' people buy a Polaris for work and not play?
Take it from someone (Me) who spent a couple decades demonstrating products on live TV, it's not easy sticking to talking points when you're also attempting to simultaneously demonstrate a product. I'll guess that possibly he was concerned that his phone may or may not have the proper signal to effectively demo the app.

Having seen Scott Wine interviewed on other live TV shows, he's typically confident, likeable and unflappable, but he did seem a bit uncomfortable during this appearance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
11482 said:
I agree it was interesting and will be interesting to see what happens with Indian and Victory going forward.

They were just asking him dumb ash questions!! I'm sure he wanted to slap them up side the head!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1163 said:
They were just asking him dumb ash questions!! I'm sure he wanted to slap them up side the head!
Right, the interviewer was trying to change the subject and not talk about Indian or what they were planning on doing. So no wonder he was uncomfortable. He was probably expecting to talk about the brand then when the twist throttle was created. He was trying to bring the subject back to Indian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very impressed with the company and what they will do with the Indian line.....who knows??????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounded to me like the interveiwers knew very little about Polaris's products. I guess they don't do much biking, ATVing, snowmobiling in New York city.

One question I would have liked to ask him what market share are you going after with the Indian brand, with out taking market shares from the Victory brand??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wasn't planning on buying my second bike until my kid is out of school anyway but my interest in Indian has now gone WAY up. Looking forward to the release to see what they bring.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1163 said:
Like Kernan's comment about either buying Japanese or a Harley, completely ignoring that Polaris has Victory. Yep, he prepared real well for the interview....... Wine was a bit taken aback by that and the luxury comment. The interviewers seemed disinterested with the interview and just wanted to get to the next segment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
11482 said:
What happens to Victory if the Indian gets a new motor, transmission, frame, etc and every year Victory gets a old model with new paint and accessories and then every three years a new logo??? It won't take long and the reviews will show the new american motorcycle (Victory) as a second tier bike. I don't know crap about marketing but, I'am a consumer who has $60,000 worth of Victories sitting in my garage. I didn't spend that hard earned money for a second tier bike, I don't see other consumers spending that kind money either. The consumer will spend a little less and buy a Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki. and get a better bike or spend a little more and buy a Harley and get a better bike. Just saying this Indian acquisition could blow up in Polaris Industries face?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did not care for the interviewers, it was obvious they new nothing about motorcycles, shameon them for not doing a little more home work on the subject matter before the interview. I agrree with some other comments the CEO from Polarish I think had a hard time keeping his cool in front of the dumb as interviewers, cudoes to him for not telling them to piss off.

I hope Indian does well and we can only debate and guess what Polaris's marketing strategy is for them but being the sucessful company they have been in the past I am sure their plan is well thought out. There are things I would like to see them do just like many others here but I may not be in the majority. Here is one of my fantacies, bring back the 4 cylinder machine with some a$$ ripping performance.

One thing I hope they don't do is lose focus on the Victory line. It could easily happen and here is a real life example. I was very close to some management people at Suzuki when I was a dealer so had some inside knowledge. You recall their failed attempt at their automobile market startup, well what they did was pull their best engineers over to that segment to help get that market penetrated and they lost focus on their core business, their bikes. Not only did they fail in the auto market but it nearly killed their motorcyle business. Since Suzuki is a smaller company they started using the profits of the bike segment to fund the automobile startup. Not saying Polaris will go to these extremes but the point I am trying to make is I don't want the Victory line to suffer in enginuity and design for the sake of the Indian startup. I already see some things that I hope does not continue and that is a slight cheaponing of the line up. The Boardwalk is no Kingpin replacement its a cheaper watered down bike and I personally don't think sales of this unit will be very high. They have dropped Brembo brakes, less units with inverted front forks, more plastic where metal parts use to be, dropped HID light in the XCT as examples, fit and finish is not steller. I would not want the Victory line relegated to pultry second class cheapo line of machines, they have good thing started here and need to keep patiently chipping away at the competition.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My opinion worth nothing, they should start with an inline four for Indian. Another V-twin is just going to take away from both brands in sales. Offer something different just like BMW did with the K1600. Maybe its a good thing I already have my Victory before they start watering down the brand. They already started saving money with the 2013 CCT by removing the HID light.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
14159 said:
Has anyone found the throttle app he mentioned? Do they make an Droid version?
It is part of their Indian Rides app. Here is what is on their Facebook page:

<span>The Indian Rides app offers weather conditions, a service locator for gas stations, lodging, and restaurants, the ability save routes and way points, and much more.</span>

<span>Now the Apple version is updated to include an Indian Motorcycle engine functionality that you can rev anywhere, anytime from the palm of your hand. The Android versio</span><span class='text_exposed_show'>n will be updating soon, download now so you don&rsquo;t miss a rev.</span>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
4606 said:
It is part of their Indian Rides app. Here is what is on their Facebook page:

<span>The Indian Rides app offers weather conditions, a service locator for gas stations, lodging, and restaurants, the ability save routes and way points, and much more.</span>

<span>Now the Apple version is updated to include an Indian Motorcycle engine functionality that you can rev anywhere, anytime from the palm of your hand. The Android versio</span><span class='text_exposed_show'>n will be updating soon, download now so you don&rsquo;t miss a rev.</span>
I can only guess it didn't take too long to program the Indian Dealer Locator for that App.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
9045 said:
What happens to Victory if the Indian gets a new motor, transmission, frame, etc and every year Victory gets a old model with new paint and accessories and then every three years a new logo??? It won't take long and the reviews will show the new american motorcycle (Victory) as a second tier bike. I don't know crap about marketing but, I'am a consumer who has $60,000 worth of Victories sitting in my garage. I didn't spend that hard earned money for a second tier bike, I don't see other consumers spending that kind money either. The consumer will spend a little less and buy a Honda, Kawasaki or Suzuki. and get a better bike or spend a little more and buy a Harley and get a better bike. Just saying this Indian acquisition could blow up in Polaris Industries face?
You did not buy a second tier bike. You bought the best that was available at the time... You have a tier one bike. You have a Victory.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts