Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This video is about correcting the Indian War Bonnet light design flaw. The demonstration is on a 2014 Indian Vintage. All 2014 models (and most likely all since then as well) have this design flaw.

You either:
1) have this problem,
2) will have this problem, or
3) will never has this problem as you're an owner and not a rider (your bike never sees moisture)

Simple to fix, but takes some time. Some have it "repaired" under warranty, but a replacement part will not/not correct the problem.

Enjoy!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Very nice video of a problem I didn't know I had.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Good video. Since I have no issues yet, I will be taking my front wheel off and put some sealant around the holes to minimize any future problems.

·
Registered
152 Posts
This video is about correcting the Indian War Bonnet light design flaw. The demonstration is on a 2014 Indian Vintage. All 2014 models (and most likely all since then as well) have this design flaw.

You either:
1) have this problem,
3) will never has this problem as you're an owner and not a rider (your bike never sees moisture)

Simple to fix, but takes some time. Some have it "repaired" under warranty, but a replacement part will not/not correct the problem.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the video ! I will apply sealant on my first tire change...:cool:

·
Registered
234 Posts
What is the YouTube channel? I cannot get the video to open in YouTube

·
Registered
76 Posts

You either:
1) have this problem,

Enjoy!

So I guess it is reasonable to assume that if you have a brand new bike (as I do) that has not been ridden in the rain, you can seal the holes in the fender and prevent this problem in the future??? Great post, thanks!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I guess it is reasonable to assume that if you have a brand new bike (as I do) that has not been ridden in the rain, you can seal the holes in the fender and prevent this problem in the future??? Great post, thanks!
I think it that one case (new, never out in the rain) that approach will work. Not new or some water runs the risk of rust/corrosion having already started--it which case it would just be sealed in.

I can understand why Polaris didn't go with sealant in assembly line--pain to do well. Three sealing washers could have been easy to add during assembly and solved the problem.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the YouTube channel? I cannot get the video to open in YouTube
It's on YouTube Channel "Ride Wrench Repeat" or do a search with those three words and it's usually the first thing that comes up.

Reactions: sbonder

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Damn I am going to check mine. If it hasn't happened yet I am going to clean the underbelly and silicone the hell out of this

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,821 Posts
I don't suppose I could luck out and the 16's don't have the issue could I? :(

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't suppose I could luck out and the 16's don't have the issue could I? :(
I've not heard of a design change. But anything is possible :)

·
Registered
2,543 Posts

You either:
1) have this problem,

Enjoy!

Nice video. One thing to add though. Anything that gets sealed with silicone sealant must be cleaned with an oil removing agent like denatured alcohol and must not be touched by hand. the oils on your fingers will keep the sealant from sealing out all moisture.

·
Bronze member
2,684 Posts
By using a small screw driver you can open the cable ties and reuse them. Very good fix thanks for posting it[finger]

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What about neoprene washers?
That's what the 10mm nuts need--sealing washers. Easier for manufacturing lines than sealant. The power cord ingress could use a customer neoprene pass-through.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts