Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would ask you Victory guys. Think Victory oil would be ok to use in an Indian?

Indian dealers are few and far between right now. Victory dealers are pretty much everywhere.

Just wondering?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Best I can do right now. Page 128 of the Indian Owners Manual is pretty clear, if you can't get the Indian oil then use a high quality ' 20w-40 ' motorcycle oil, hmmmmm, sounds a lot like the Victory oil to me.

They also do not say how many miles you can put on with the Vic oil so it seems to say it will be just fine.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like the same oil just in a different bottle. I would call Indian's customer service line and ask. You could also ask the dealer or consider seeing if the dealer will ship oil change kits.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a look at the label on the Vic oil. See if somewhere on it is has symbols or verbiage that says 'API SM and ILSAC GF-4' if so guess what? It should be the same.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good points above. Victory oil has same ratings as Indian. Both are SM rated.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
'Victory dealers are pretty much everywhere'. That's funny right their.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
18853 said:
Good points above. Victory oil has same ratings as Indian. Both are SM rated.
Curious, where did you read that ?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2847 said:
'Victory dealers are pretty much everywhere'. That's funny right their.
There are 6 within 51 miles of my house and the closest is 15 miles away.

It depends where you live.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have 4 vic dealers within 45 mi's,,, no complaints here ! closest is 8 mi's . oh and its all polaris oil !!! and when january rolls around there will be an indian dealer 4 mi's from my house. and that will make 2 indian dealers within 50 mi's . so if your ever cruisin in new England help is not tooo far away if you need it.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i would not-do not run vic oil in my vic! lots of better oils out there for less money IMO. i went with amsoil mixed 50% 10-40 +20-50,thats in my 13 hammer after 2,xxx break in, shifts better + runs great!!!! synthetics are SUPERIOR!! that is NOT debatable!!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I picked up my bike, I forgot to get oil and filter for the first change. My dealer's about 800 miles away. I had to call them to ship it. Oil and filter was about $110 and shipping another $40. Some dealers have sent owners home with their new bikes and 1 or 2 free oil changes. Not all dealers are created equal.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
18659 said:
When I picked up my bike, I forgot to get oil and filter for the first change. My dealer's about 800 miles away. I had to call them to ship it. Oil and filter was about $110 and shipping another $40. Some dealers have sent owners home with their new bikes and 1 or 2 free oil changes. Not all dealers are created equal.
just curious,did the issue you had with your bike get resolved?what was the outcome?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an oil change worth of Vic oil left over on my garage shelf, which I plan to use in my Chieftain. I also used the Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic in my Vic motor, did great.. a noticeable smoother shifting operation.

·
Founding Member
428 Posts
The oil and filter are the same for Victory 106 engines and the Indians as well. The filter just has Indian stenciled on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oil and filters are not made by or for any specific m/c mfg.. they are just rebranded and distributed thru the channels. if it makes you feel better using the brand, we'll that's gotta be worth something?
Look up filters at calsci.com Vic's and most metrics use type 5. I'd bet our new ****** do to. (Btw, our ****** are metric, they got that rite). Pik the best filter that you can find.

Oil is made by oil companies. Pik a good one. I use Mobil 1 syn in all my motors. Nickles n Dimes = 5k mile change on all odometers keeps it simple, when you have a lot of motors to maintain. Use the type and brand that worx 4 u.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thought I would ask you Victory guys. Think Victory oil would be ok to use in an Indian?

Indian dealers are few and far between right now. Victory dealers are pretty much everywhere.

Just wondering?
Just don't let the bike see you do it...

·
Registered
21 Posts
My penny's worth, at 500 the dealer changed it to whatever they used, clunky shifting , hard finding N, lotsa engine noise..... At 2500, I changed it to a Victory dealer supplied Castrol Actevo 20/40, less engine noise but still hard shifting and finding N.... At 5000 I changed to Castrol GTX 20/50 with all the Indian specs , shifted much better, a little better in finding neutral and less engine noise.... At 10000 GTX again, it worked so why fix it .......At 15000 changed things up a little and went with Mobil 1,,, shifting is perfect , neutral is a breeze to find, however engine noise has increased a little as well as heat, heat may be a result of the Arizona summer is here :) ..... That's my two cents worth.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The oil and filter are the same for Victory 106 engines and the Indians as well. The filter just has Indian stenciled on it.
Anybody know if this is a fact? Just bought a new Vintage and I have a Victory Oil Change Kit left from my Cross Country Tour and I would like to use it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anybody know if this is a fact? Just bought a new Vintage and I have a Victory Oil Change Kit left from my Cross Country Tour and I would like to use it.
As in, witnessed the same oil being packaged into Victory & Indian quart bottles ?. probably not going to find that answer here. Bottom line.. the Victory & Indian branded oils have the same spec. I just did oil change with Victory oil in my Chieftain without batting an eye... I also had to add half a quart, so I used Rotella T6 Synth. Probably use all Rotella next oil change.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts