Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Im sum what confused on Polaris's choice to put the Indian and Victory line of bikes at the motoplex's. I really think that they need to break the Victory and Indian lines to a stand alone shop for better service and more direct sales of the equipment. I hate to say it but They really have to start thinking on the same lines as harley. They have stand alone shops, better parts selections , better clothing lines and more personable sales reps that in most cases make the whole experience of buying there product a special event for the customer. I own a Victory Crossroads and love the bike, but I didnt get the feel good experience from the motoplex that i saw at the harley dealership. I feel that Polaris is a great company but they have alot of catching up to do inorder to compete or surpass what harley has in place. Clothing, parts, service, events, Building life long customers.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Harley has been at it for over 100 years, it will take both Victory and Indian time to catch up. Sales of both bike aren't high enough yet to support shops that sell only their brand. My local dealer is great and gives you that experience that you would want, but he has to sell Polaris products and also lawn and garden equipment to stay afloat.

IMO I think Indian has a better chance of getting to that point that you speak of. It's going to be fun to watch.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Doubt Indian ever catches up to HD but sure wish them well making Indian a success after several failures of others to do so ..

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
It wasn't too many years ago that HD was forcing their dealers to invest in their stores and clothing inventory. It is still going on. We lost a long established HD/Honda dealer in Western Pa, because of forced changes.
There is another HD Dealer North of Pittsburgh that is taking the heat now to 'make changes' or else.
If you look at the current auto marketing/buying options that are popping up due to the ever developing internet, I think it's best for Polaris to keep all options open. What works today may not be so great tomorrow. In order to develop new markets you have to get creative.
BTW, my dealings with HD sales people has not exactly been the of the quality you experienced . As I have stated before on this forum, I have purchased three motorcycles in the past 6 years and have yet to get a call back from my HD dealer.
I am very happy that I was able to find an alternative USA made V Twin, and especially pleased knowing that it is the best USA made motorcycle.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Forcing Victory or Indian dealers to be a single brand franchise would lead to ruin for all involved. Victory, Indian and the dealer. Most wouldn't be able to keep the doors open for more than a season or two. Local H-D dealers have taken on KTM and Triumph around here so I'm not so sure H-D dealers have to only have H-D anymore. What works in one city or part of the country simply may not play in others. H-D, Victory and Indian will have to find the most opportunity in the cities they have dealers. Thankfully, even the recent interveiw in the magazine said Indian was even open to having an H-D dealer take on the indian line.

I travel around a few states for work and stop at a lot of motorcycle dealers. In my experience, the more successful dealers have no more than 3 brands under one roof. The key for many of them is ample inventory of each brands accessories and parts. If it's in the Victory catalog, accessories or clothing, having it displayed in the store equals sales. If people can't touch it, feel it, examine it, many times they simply won't buy it. Or worse yet for the dealer, they'll go on line and find the lowest possible price. I stopped at a Victory dealer once and they had very few Victory items on display. He asked what I was interested in and I told him a new pair of gloves. He said they don't inventory them but could order a pair for me. I thanked him for his time and left. I won't buy a pair of gloves without trying them on first as the sizes are so variable. For the 'I can order it for you' kind of dealer, I may as well buy it online at the best price I can find because the service level is the same anyway.

Another key is personnel that actually know and understand the brands they sell. I stopped at the Victory dealer nearest my house yesterday to see if they had a 4.5 quart oil change kit. The parts guy looked at me like he'd never heard of a 4.5 quart oil change kit before. Then he told me my CCT holds 5 quarts and if I only add 4.5 I'm short changing the bike. He had no idea Victory sells a 4.5 quart kit for the 100 and 106 engined bikes or that you don't get all 5 quarts out when draining the oil and removing filter. I thanked him for his time and walked out. It would be nice to have a local (4 miles door to door) dealer that has a clue about Victory but I'm very thankful that Randy's Cycle (40 miles away) is so good at all things Victory. Randy's Cycle also has just about everything in the Victory catalogs along with the Lloyds items in stock and on the shelf.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
It is not HD, Victory, Honda... I have been to many HD stores were they were complete A-Holes and the same for any manufacturer. One or two good or bad experiences does not mean they are all like that. My Honda/Victory dealer is awesome the local HD shop sucks fat ass. I hope my Honda/Victory picks up the Indian line; if they do not I doubt I will be buying one.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I have two stand alone Victory stores in my area, both are owned by the same people just differnt locations. But they do sell the Polaris line of ATV's also, no other bikes though.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I asked my Victory dealer about selling Indians and he said they are requiring a stand alone building as well as other investment that would take him to long to recoup.
By the way, coming from Harley I am not used to all the other vehicles my Victory dealer sells but they treat me better than Harley ever did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts