Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I seen a CC and Chieftain in a Superstore parking lot parked beside each other this evening.(Canadian big box grocery store)
I took a moment to compare them visually.
The Chieftain was a red one, the CC was a black with grey flame paint .
The owners came along and while talking to them about the bikes (husband and wife).
The wife owns the chieftain and really likes the handling. The husband doesn't like the chieftain because he feels cramped on it (he looked to be about 6 ft. same as me), he also owns a Harley street glide and is selling it because of how cramped it is for riding.
While looking at the bikes as they were sharing their individual riding impressions of both bikes I noticed the CC looks like a much bigger bike sitting beside the Chieftain.
He said the chieftain does have a little more room than his Harley but the CC has lots of room and prefers to ride it.
She is the Chieftain rider because of this, I noticed both bike had lots of extra chrome and the Chieftain had some extra leather tassels (handle bar ends, floor boards). Both bikes had driver back rests.

Then came up the topic of performance, she did not comment about it much as she said all bikes have more power then she ever uses.
He on the other hand (typical guy) said "I notice a little more power when riding the Indian until at highway speed then I think the CC has more get up and go" I asked him if has done anything for power improvements, he said both bikes are stock but the Harley has some performance mods if I'm interested in buying it, I declined as I'm not interested in a Harley.
She then invited me to take the Chieftain for a ride (I'm a complete stranger and never met either of them before), I was kind of taken back by this and declined fearing someone might run into me and damage the bike and it was not mine, Told her "it was her bike and I don't have any right getting on someone else's personnel ride, and would feel uncomfortable about riding it".
I then thanked her for the invite and commended them both on the cool rides they have but had to go as the store was closing in 10 minutes.
I would have loved to have stayed and continued the discussion and they seemed disappointed I had to go.

PS; it was dark out at approximately 10:50pm and I wish I could have seen the bikes beside each other in the sunlight, instead of the poorly light artificial light from the parking lot light posts.

My conclusion, Test ride a bike before you buy and be sure it fits you, just because it is the newest cool model doesn't mean it is the bike for you, He bought the Chieftain for himself and the Harley was for her, but ended up giving her the Chieftain and then bought the CC for himself.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have owned all three and felt the CC and Chieftain. As the previous own of a Street Glide, it sits a little higher, but doesn't have as much room and footboards. I noticed that first thing every Victory and Indian I ride.

Burt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gee, I think the Chieftan is plenty big. I'm 6'1" and not cramped at all. But I also have been known to ride smaller bikes without complaint.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,753 Posts
At 6'3", I am a little tight in legroom on my Chieftain. However, having the highway pegs properly positioned eliminated the cramped feeling completely. The backs of my thighs stay cooler when my feet are up on the pegs as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am 6'-2" and couldn't ride more than an hour on the stock seat without highway pegs before I felt uncomfortable. Installed the Corbin seat and added the pegs and life is good....

·
Registered
132 Posts
I test rode all three the Classic, the Vintage, and the Chieftain, I'm 6'2, 210 lbs. I Rode the Classic first, the Vintage second, and the Chieftain third. I liked the classic, except for the beach bars they were a little too wide for me. The Vintage felt real comfortable, I love the handle bars, and plenty of space for my legs, crotch, and feet, similar to the classic, except the bars. When I rode the Chieftain, I immediately noticed the cramped feeling in legs and seat area. I also had a faired bike for 5 years, and having the Vintage looking and functioning with the open Non-Faired airflow was very comfortable, So I was sold on the Vintage. Really Glad I got mine, with the 5 year warranty.

·
Early joiner
235 Posts
Last October at the Lone Star Rally I was one of the MSF instructors leading folks on demo rides for Indian and Victory motorcycles, so I rode every model of both brands. I made up my mind to buy a Chieftain or Cross Country as I thought they were comparable to each other. I settled on the Chieftain because I liked the clean classic lines of the Indian...at 6' 1'', I changed out the stock seat for a Mustang which sits me back about an inch and a half. Put on right at 5K miles since middle of May and could not be happier with it. Have some nice Kuryakyn foot pegs, putting a ceebaileys smoke windshield on this afternoon and buying the Vance and Hines turn down slipons (indian.vanceandhines.com) as soon as they come out and that's pretty much all I'm planning on doing. Great job by Polaris on both bikes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Done several demo rides on Cross Country, Cross Tour, Vision, Chieftain, Vintage, Even a Goldwing. Went with a Chief Classic. Can get a better deal on a Victory. But like the looks of the Indian better. If I was going on a long trip would choose a Cross Tour. A lot cheaper than Roadmaster. Goldwing was super smooth. But lacks legroom but only my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My opinion, Victory wins in the engine/performance area. That 106 is simply a great motor and really goes. I also agree that the Victory's seem to have more room for the rider. However, having said all that the Indian wins if you're looking for that "classic" look. Hmm, now that I think about it that's the same argument a lot of Harley riders make...Oh well...

·
Administrator
15,524 Posts
My wife has the Victory CCT and I've got the Roadmaster. She loves hers and I love mine. Neither of us would swap ( and believe me, I've tried to get her interested in a chieftain as her bike ages -- 40,000 + on her odometer). She has ridden mine in to the dealer for servicing ( 60 miles RT )and she says mine is ' more compact feeling' ( which matches with your side-by-side comparison).

The Victory is rougher. My Indian is smooth like butter. But hers is about $8k less, so if it's budget or value that's the key, well....

I paid that $8k and I'd do it again -- in a heartbeat.

HINK

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,607 Posts
My opinion, Victory wins in the engine/performance area. That 106 is simply a great motor and really goes. I also agree that the Victory's seem to have more room for the rider. However, having said all that the Indian wins if you're looking for that "classic" look. Hmm, now that I think about it that's the same argument a lot of Harley riders make...Oh well...
Wow, I would have to disagree there. I have rode all three bikes before during test rides. I was very comfortable on the Victory but I did not like the engine at all. You could get power out of the bike but like the Harley you really had to rev it up to get some power out of it. Big touring bikes need torque and the Victory power band was way too high for me. I am 6'4" and 330 lbs. As I said the Victory was the most comfortable but the Harley was very cramped. Somewhat cramped on the Chieftain but that changed once I rode the RM. That bigger seat let me sit further back and very content on it. I know you can get some impressive numbers out of the Victory motor with mods from Lloydz but comparing stock bikes the Victory really let me down. Dean

·
Registered
808 Posts
Put about 80k on 2 XC's. Granted you have to work the tranny a tad more but the reward is worth it.. With equal riders I'd say it's all Indian about 1/2 way thru 3rd. But after that the Vic is GONE! I like the finish on my Chieftain much better. Think it may 'turn-in' a bit quicker too. But I REALLY miss the cockpit room on the XC - and the saddlebag room as well. Can't go wrong with either IMHO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Put about 80k on 2 XC's. Granted you have to work the tranny a tad more but the reward is worth it.. With equal riders I'd say it's all Indian about 1/2 way thru 3rd. But after that the Vic is GONE! I like the finish on my Chieftain much better. Think it may 'turn-in' a bit quicker too. But I REALLY miss cockpit the room on the XC - and the saddlebag room as well. Can't go wrong with either IMHO.
Well said

·
Rider
410 Posts
My butt time on the CCT is probably less than 2k miles, so I've got no "right" to give an expert opinion. However, I can speak to fit and finish. I don't think it's close. Moreover, I don't think the "mothership" would argue this either... It's Indian all the way. Probably a reason the bike is considerably more expensive. Everything feels and looks higher end... From the saddle bag lids, to the quality of chrome, switches, etc..

The 106 feels like it has more top end to me. The 111 feels like it has much more low end grunt to me. I'm a torque guy.. It's real world power where I need/want it. The transmission however is the huge winner for Indian. As stated above, so smooth.. The Victory tranny is something that I could probably live with. But thankfully, I don't have to. Clunky, rough, and NOT refined. Not slamming, just my impression.

For me it all comes down to looks... Motorsickles are an emotional purchase for me. I NEED to love the form as much as the function. The Indian is a piece of art... The Victory looks have never spoken to me. Good news: they are both great bikes. What a great time to be on two wheels! My two cents.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
interesting reading + in the end its an individual choice for sure with $$$$ being a contributing factor, enjoy riding whatever you own!!

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Hate to sound testy, but I've heard everything like 5'5", 6'1", 6'5" ect, ect. What does that truly matter. The two things that truly affect fit on a bike while riding are inseam and sleeve length. There are some quite tall people out there with short inseams and visa versa. Also arm length impacts how the bars feel...torso,neck and head play into windshield height. Rant over.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts